Performance Differences Bikes/Time of Year etc

2»

Comments

• florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Colder air is more dense, so a larger mass of air has to be pushed out of the way. at constant power output that means lower speed.

Similarly " thicker" air means more drag. The rougher clothing surface will matter too, high tech skin suits for TTs and all that are the opposite end of the drag phenomena.

To keep the same speed would need a higher power output.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    deco go slower in winter, even here with relatively light winds round here, i am a good bit slower. same as most other people, i aim to try and get out as much as possible, hit 66 last sunday and aiming for similar this saturday while the weather is holding. in the week hit the turbo. rather than looking for set miles per week, i want at least 5 hours of cycling weather turbo or on the road. when i can i try and hit a few more climbs than i might normally too.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Now that most of us agree on the being slower in winter subject.
    Would it be fair to say that 20 winter miles takes more effort than 20 summer miles, maybe more akin to 25 summer miles?
    And if you try and maintain a good mileage each week till around March when the clocks go forward, you should in theory have maintained your fitness or even possibly improved?

I'm thinking in similar terms to training at altitude for sea level completion, but obviously at a ridiculously lower scale.

I'm just curious about this as I don't know the answer, but it would be interesting to hear from the more experienced guys on this board.