Performance Differences Bikes/Time of Year etc

Dizeee
Dizeee Posts: 337
edited November 2013 in Road general
Hi, I am interested to hear some opinions on what sort of performance differences you encounter on different bikes, in different kit at different times of the year.

I have had a really good year on the bikes this year, it is my second year on the roadie but it has been much more meaningful than last, this year has seen me buy my second bike, get involved in club rides and so far have covered just shy of 6000 miles since Jan. I was averaging around 160 miles a week during summer.

I have scaled it back since October and am currently doing circa 110 - 120 miles a week now, however as it has got colder I am now off my superlight carbon and back on my entry level aluminium as well as my budget hybrid.

I hit a fitness level I thought I would not get to in summer and was putting in some 40 - 50 mile runs over 20mph. Now I am back on the other bikes this seems to have dropped like a stone, plus it "feels" like I am not as fit, but I think that is just the fact this will be the first winter I have ever ventured out on the roadie. What keep stumping me is how "difficult" I find my ally bike compared to my carbon. It could be placebo and all in the mind but my figures are also showing large differences. (Strava / Garmin 200).

In summer I would wear minimal kit and head out on the Carbon and find it pretty easy to maintain a 20 average, sometimes more. Now however, on the ally a really strong ride will see me at a 19 average, and generally I am in the 18's. It feels like I am working harder to achieve this however. I know Rule 5 and I am careful never to blame anything other than my legs, but the reality is, everything feels like hard work compared to the Carbon. I wonder whether actually my Carbon is so good that it led me into a false sense of security over the summer and I just got too used to it's capabilities, therefore did not push my own. As per my previous thread, this is most noticeable on climbs. I last took the Carbon out a few weeks ago and instantly I noticed climbing was SO much easier, as was maintaining a decent pace.

Recently I have been taking the hybrid into and out of work including getting the train, its a budget Trek FX, slightly too large for me and heavy. I have been riding that in jeans, jumper and jacket sometimes a rucksack too, and I am putting in massive efforts to achieve a 17 average over a very short distance. So even though I know it is a totally different bike, I still fee like I may have slipped backwards.

I have noticed this so much that I am now working on the theory that if I persevere riding these harder bikes over winter, I should hop back onto the Carbon in spring and fly! Is this all normal?

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Could get yourself a heart rate meter and train off that instead of average speeds. Or just occasionally find a nice day to put in a run on the good bike.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Completely normal I am dragging myself round on rides now and much slower than the summer. All I do this time of year is keep going out as much as I can and just aim to cycle for a length of time more than a distance.
  • I use the same bike all year and notice a drop in winter. The only difference is mudguards and a change of clothing but my average can drop a good couple of mph.

Dont know if its because you don't get out as much -or for as long, or if the conditions hamper speed. Cold winter air does feel harder to push through than a warm summer day.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I'm riding the same bike and I've noticed a good 1.5/2mph drop in my average speed in the last three weeks, plus a drop in my endurance, and probably having to use one or two lower gears on my routes as well.

I'm not riding in the evenings and can only ride weekends so that would explain a drop in fitness since the clocks went back.

One thing that's surprised me is the loss of speed going downhill. On my usual loop I can max at 31/32mph but that's gone down to 28/29mph now.

I did get a couple of PRs up hills last week, and similar times up the same hills yesterday but still with the crappy average, work that out??
  • Dizeee
    So it seems this is the way across the board then.Thats reassuring!
  • This definitely happens, but what gets me is the sudden change. I was fine until October, then the clocks changed and weather turned. As people have said above I found rides harder and my average dropped a good couple of mph - bike is the same apart from mudguards.

Personally I think its a combination of some if not all of the following...

*Road Surfaces are slippery - less traction up and down hill - more caution consciously and subconsciously. Gravel and dirty roads can slow you too.
    *Less activity- drop in fitness. We try to get out as much as possible in winter, but there's no doubt that in Summer you could be out every day/evening and for longer rides too.
    *Dense Air - May not make a big difference but the air is colder, damp and "thicker"
    *Cold Air - Defiantly has an effect on your respiration.
    *Weather itself - Usually more windy in winter which can slow you down. Rain, ice and snow etc can slow a pace compared to dry sunny warm days.
    *Temperature - Your body not only has to work out on the bike but also keep you warm.
    *Restrictive clothing - Shorts and a shirt is less restrictive than Base layers, Winter tops, Thermals, Socks and Tights etc Also adds to weight increase.
    *Change of equipment, Change of Bike - For some, a winter bike adds a bit more weight and perhaps not as efficient as a summer hack. Additions like pumps, lights and mudguards add a tad more weight to a "summer" bike.
    *Illness - OK you may not be dead in bed, but a slight cold definitely has an effect on me, even a week after its gone. Your body is putting energy into fighting coughs and colds especially at this time of year. You may still feel fine with a mild winter cough but your more tired as a result.
    *Body weight - Don't know about anyone else but over winter (esp Christmas) I put on a tad more weight even if I'm out on the bike. This coupled with less fitness because you might not get out as much as in summer makes for a performance drop when you do get out.
    *Diet - Again, my diet definitely changes compared to summer. Unless your a top athlete or on some diet plan, we all tuck away winter grub that's a bit more "unhealthy" than summer foods. Your metabolism however goes up in winter but energy is needed elsewhere.
    * In winter im always more tired. I'm sure I suffer from SAD. Nights are long and your activity does drop. This can effect your energy and getup-and-go out on the bike. Even if you don't suffer from SAD, im sure the change in daylight and weather and all the other factors have a effect.
  • Dizeee
    Good reply and pretty much sums up all the factors that have occurred to me at one time or another.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This definitely happens, but what gets me is the sudden change. I was fine until October, then the clocks changed and weather turned. As people have said above I found rides harder and my average dropped a good couple of mph - bike is the same apart from mudguards.

*Road Surfaces are slippery - less traction up and down hill - more caution consciously and subconsciously. Gravel and dirty roads can slow you too. But then there are loads of crisp, dry days too. You aren't moving more slowly on those but the temperature is still cold
    *Less activity- drop in fitness. We try to get out as much as possible in winter, but there's no doubt that in Summer you could be out every day/evening and for longer rides too. My weekly mileage is unchanged from the summer (~250) but my speed is much reduced
    *Dense Air - May not make a big difference but the air is colder, damp and "thicker" Dense air - probably the biggest factor as to why we are riding slowly
    *Cold Air - Defiantly has an effect on your respiration. Related to the above. Not sure what the evidence for this is - would be interesting if true
    *Weather itself - Usually more windy in winter which can slow you down. Rain, ice and snow etc can slow a pace compared to dry sunny warm days. But then there are the crisp, dry days as per first point. Weather is a variable throughout the year and our pace is still reduced on the nice winter days
    *Temperature - Your body not only has to work out on the bike but also keep you warm. Double accounting! See 'Cold air'
    *Restrictive clothing - Shorts and a shirt is less restrictive than Base layers, Winter tops, Thermals, Socks and Tights etc Also adds to weight increase. I find that, on my commute, as I head out of the house and up a long hill, my legs in particular feel restricted by my tights. Once past that hill, I'm not really conscious of it but I'm sure it has an effect
    *Change of equipment, Change of Bike - For some, a winter bike adds a bit more weight and perhaps not as efficient as a summer hack. Additions like pumps, lights and mudguards add a tad more weight to a "summer" bike. Doesn't make that much difference though. Not in comparison to other factors. The weight is only a disadvantage on climbs and when accelerating. Once up to speed it is an advantage
    *Illness - OK you may not be dead in bed, but a slight cold definitely has an effect on me, even a week after its gone. Your body is putting energy into fighting coughs and colds especially at this time of year. You may still feel fine with a mild winter cough but your more tired as a result. MTFU - you're a cyclist :lol: . You should be fighting off the germs without effort!
    *Body weight - Don't know about anyone else but over winter (esp Christmas) I put on a tad more weight even if I'm out on the bike. This coupled with less fitness because you might not get out as much as in summer makes for a performance drop when you do get out. Somebody elses problem! My weight hasn't changed in 30 years!
    *Diet - Again, my diet definitely changes compared to summer. Unless your a top athlete or on some diet plan, we all tuck away winter grub that's a bit more "unhealthy" than summer foods. Your metabolism however goes up in winter but energy is needed elsewhere. Interesting one. Again, for me, somebody elses problem - my diet is pretty much the same all year round.
    * In winter im always more tired. I'm sure I suffer from SAD. Nights are long and your activity does drop. This can effect your energy and getup-and-go out on the bike. Even if you don't suffer from SAD, im sure the change in daylight and weather and all the other factors have a effect.

For commuting, the traffic does seem to get worse in winter so there's another variable. But, for the most part, I think the main factor is air density caused by low air temperatures. Other weather related influences are far less seasonal. I have a spreadsheet that graphs a moving average of my speeds since I've been recording them. The rapidity of my drop in speed always surprises me too. I'll post my latest data on this tonight if I remember!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    This definitely happens, but what gets me is the sudden change. I was fine until October, then the clocks changed and weather turned. As people have said above I found rides harder and my average dropped a good couple of mph - bike is the same apart from mudguards.

*Road Surfaces are slippery - less traction up and down hill - more caution consciously and subconsciously. Gravel and dirty roads can slow you too. But then there are loads of crisp, dry days too. You aren't moving more slowly on those but the temperature is still cold
    *Less activity- drop in fitness. We try to get out as much as possible in winter, but there's no doubt that in Summer you could be out every day/evening and for longer rides too. My weekly mileage is unchanged from the summer (~250) but my speed is much reduced
    *Dense Air - May not make a big difference but the air is colder, damp and "thicker" Dense air - probably the biggest factor as to why we are riding slowly
    *Cold Air - Defiantly has an effect on your respiration. Related to the above. Not sure what the evidence for this is - would be interesting if true
    *Weather itself - Usually more windy in winter which can slow you down. Rain, ice and snow etc can slow a pace compared to dry sunny warm days. But then there are the crisp, dry days as per first point. Weather is a variable throughout the year and our pace is still reduced on the nice winter days
    *Temperature - Your body not only has to work out on the bike but also keep you warm. Double accounting! See 'Cold air'
    *Restrictive clothing - Shorts and a shirt is less restrictive than Base layers, Winter tops, Thermals, Socks and Tights etc Also adds to weight increase. I find that, on my commute, as I head out of the house and up a long hill, my legs in particular feel restricted by my tights. Once past that hill, I'm not really conscious of it but I'm sure it has an effect
    *Change of equipment, Change of Bike - For some, a winter bike adds a bit more weight and perhaps not as efficient as a summer hack. Additions like pumps, lights and mudguards add a tad more weight to a "summer" bike. Doesn't make that much difference though. Not in comparison to other factors. The weight is only a disadvantage on climbs and when accelerating. Once up to speed it is an advantage
    *Illness - OK you may not be dead in bed, but a slight cold definitely has an effect on me, even a week after its gone. Your body is putting energy into fighting coughs and colds especially at this time of year. You may still feel fine with a mild winter cough but your more tired as a result. MTFU - you're a cyclist :lol: . You should be fighting off the germs without effort!
    *Body weight - Don't know about anyone else but over winter (esp Christmas) I put on a tad more weight even if I'm out on the bike. This coupled with less fitness because you might not get out as much as in summer makes for a performance drop when you do get out. Somebody elses problem! My weight hasn't changed in 30 years!
    *Diet - Again, my diet definitely changes compared to summer. Unless your a top athlete or on some diet plan, we all tuck away winter grub that's a bit more "unhealthy" than summer foods. Your metabolism however goes up in winter but energy is needed elsewhere. Interesting one. Again, for me, somebody elses problem - my diet is pretty much the same all year round.

For commuting, the traffic does seem to get worse in winter so there's another variable. But, for the most part, I think the main factor is air density caused by low air temperatures. Other weather related influences are far less seasonal. I have a spreadsheet that graphs a moving average of my speeds since I've been recording them. The rapidity of my drop in speed always surprises me too. I'll post my latest data on this tonight if I remember!

Didn't say they were a factors for everyone, just some of or potential.

Wouldn't like to be shifting down some of my local lanes on a crisp frosty day at the pace I do in summer. Roads are much more slippery in winter be it damp or ice. You would be crackers to do that.

In regards to illness - you will be surprised even the fittest person, your body still reacts the same and uses energy tackling viruses etc. Definitely get more around winter even when its a cough.

Keeping warm in the cold weather is different to berating in the cold weather - cold air causes more mucus build up and a change in your breathing habits naturally.
    Also many peoples diet changes in winter -winter grub like stews, soups, shepherds pie etc - doubt you feel like that in summer + all the Christmas food & drink? All has an effect too. Not saying everyone will, but the vast majority would. It would be very boring to eat the same thing all year round as well as miss the delights of seasonal food & drink.
    For me living in a hilly area, weight does have a noticeable effect, all be it fractional

- all adds up.
  • rolf_f
    No, frost does make a difference - won't argue with that. But there are plenty of days in Winter where road conditions have no impact on my pace and quite a few days in summer where they might do. For example, on Saturday there were a couple of places where frost slowed me (though not much overall) whereas Sunday was fine - no chance of ice and no reason to cycle particularly cautiously. There are various factors but I think that if you plot air temperature with speed (which I have so far been too lax to try to source air temps for W Yorks to answer this) then the correlation will be quite clear. Other factors count but they are relatively insignificant. If Christmas food is a factor you'd expect a specific dip around that time but we've already lost that pace long before Christmas (and my Shepherds pie consumption rate is also fairly constant)! Infact, I think our speed drops off well before we start eating more heavily (though there isn't really time enough in the day for me to eat more heavily than I do already!). As to weight - it makes less difference than you think. Even getting on a bike that weighs a third more than my lightweight bikes has rather less difference than air temperature; the variance in speed changing from one to the other is less than the normal variance in speed due to other conditions. It's surprising how little impact on ride times most variables make. If you want to go faster, you can spend £4k on a new bike or you can just stop riding in cold weather - the latter will have a far bigger impact on your stats.

Probably general fitness has an impact too. I do high miles all year round so maybe I'm less affected by things like colds, diet change etc. But the cold still really hammers my times.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Anyway, glad its not just me :wink:
    Just starting into my second year on the road bike, and was pretty alarmed at my sudden, unexplained loss of "fitness"! (Obviously I was pretty unfit last winter, so didn't notice a difference :D )
  • I've noticed this also, this is my first full winter on the road bike, I started cycling last summer but had a hybrid until Jan and then road bike since then, have done just under 5k miles this year - I think I peaked around August/September when miles and fitness had built up (also had a wheel/tyre upgrade) but as mentioned above since October its been tougher and I would agree with most of the factors above.

Last few weeks I've been struggling to get out for longer rides with family & other commitments so have been sticking to 1 or 2 laps of a training loop, pretty dull but has been getting me out - all being well I should be able to get out for 3-4 hours on sunday afternoon so will see how that is.

I did briefly look at some data and noticed that in the last month or two my average cadence was down from over the summer, rationale was that I was struggling at a gear that previously I was spinning better so I've been trying to concentrate on gearing accordingly and increase my cadence, don't have a clue whether it will make a difference but its something to aim for!
  • rolf_f
    OK, here is a plot of my average speeds over the last four years along with, on a secondary axis, the max and min daytime monthly average temperatures (in red and green respectively) recorded in Bradford.

My ride data is shown partly greyed out. It is simply the average for each ride with no account taken of distance. So a half mile test ride at 8mph gets the same weighting as a 20mph 10 mile ride and a 15mph 100 mile ride. To smooth it out the blue line is a 45 day moving average (ie each data point is the average of the previous 45 days data - to remove weather effects and focus on seasonality). I've shifted the data back 20 days or so to align it with the monthly data - it makes the plot look a bit more matched with the temp data but the difference isn't that significant.

Anyway, draw your own conclusions (as I have also about the number of miles I have ridden in different years....)

SpeedandtempplotNov2013_zps1dc06428.jpg

Of course, it doesn't explain what aspect of temperature correlates to speed. I also found the data for sunshine hours and rainfall totals which I might have a play with though I suspect those won't correlate well due to too many variables.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    OK, here is a plot of my average speeds over the last four years along with, on a secondary axis, the max and min daytime monthly average temperatures (in red and green respectively) recorded in Bradford.

My ride data is shown partly greyed out. It is simply the average for each ride with no account taken of distance. So a half mile test ride at 8mph gets the same weighting as a 20mph 10 mile ride and a 15mph 100 mile ride. To smooth it out the blue line is a 45 day moving average (ie each data point is the average of the previous 45 days data - to remove weather effects and focus on seasonality). I've shifted the data back 20 days or so to align it with the monthly data - it makes the plot look a bit more matched with the temp data but the difference isn't that significant.

Anyway, draw your own conclusions (as I have also about the number of miles I have ridden in different years....)

SpeedandtempplotNov2013_zps1dc06428.jpg

Of course, it doesn't explain what aspect of temperature correlates to speed. I also found the data for sunshine hours and rainfall totals which I might have a play with though I suspect those won't correlate well due to too many variables.

Great stuff Rolf, as a bit of a data geek its very interesting and pretty conclusive on the drop in average speed, looks like a few weeks before it bottoms out!

What's happened to your average speed generally this year though ? :D Whereabouts in Leeds do you commute from? I'm in Rodlley, soon to be Yeadon so a few more miles each day
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Was out today on one of my favourite routes. Cold, overcast and very still. The air felt very heavy and it was quite a struggle. I suspect I was a couple of mph down
  • Golf balls go further in summer by quite some margin, even with changed shafts to eliminate lack of flex. Same with playing golf at altitude. At 2000m above sea level the ball goes about 10% further than at sea level. All down to air density.

No reason why cycling shouldn't follow the same pattern disregarding lower densities for breathing.
    With the same rider, the same power input the bottom line is that the air resistance on a colder day is greater.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Was out today on one of my favourite routes. Cold, overcast and very still. The air felt very heavy and it was quite a struggle. I suspect I was a couple of mph down
    As above but sunny and cold on a less hilly route with lighter winds than last time out and average speed was lower by a couple of kph but I enjoyed the ride which is the main thing.
  • rolf_f
    socistep wrote:
    What's happened to your average speed generally this year though ? :D Whereabouts in Leeds do you commute from? I'm in Rodlley, soon to be Yeadon so a few more miles each day

Ahh, well. That's the question. There are several contributing factors - maybe my weekend rides (with a club since late last year) are slower than some of my solo rides. However, I ride normally once at the weekend and do 10 commutes a week so the commutes have far greater influence on my 45 day moving average than the weekend rides. These consist this year of an 18 mile inbound commute that consists of a climb, followed by 10 miles of near flat, followed by a descent. The return trip is a 9 mile run of mostly continuous climb with a descent at the end. Last year I often took that route in to work as well but I now rarely do. So the inbound commute is always going to be slower.

The other observation is that in 2010 and 2013 my total for the year exceeded 10,000 miles. For 2011 and 2012 I did a bit over 7000 each year. I suspect I'm over-doing it.

So I think next year I'll go back to the shorter inbound commute most of the time and see what happens. I have been aware that my time to reach the hill top outside my house has never got down to 2 minutes this year and I haven't managed many 20mph averages. I think the performance drop is genuine.

I'm not far from you - in Calverley. My inbound is up to Woodhall top and then along the A650 to Middleton and down into town from there. Homebound is via the Stanningley Byepass and Pudsey.

If you are in Yeadon and are considering a cycling club, then you might want to try us out - Airedale Olympic. The meetup points are at the crossroads in Rawdon on the Leeds road and another a bit further towards Guiseley near the RAFA club so could hardly be more convenient. PM me if interested!
  • Rolf F wrote:
    The other observation is that in 2010 and 2013 my total for the year exceeded 10,000 miles. For 2011 and 2012 I did a bit over 7000 each year. I suspect I'm over-doing it.

I'd recommend that you cut back on the longer rides. Stop doing back to back 63.8 miles rides at the weekend. keep them below 62 miles except for maybe 1 in December.
    HTH :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

I'd recommend that you cut back on the longer rides. Stop doing back to back 63.8 miles rides at the weekend. keep them below 62 miles except for maybe 1 in December.
    HTH :D

Good lord, what a great idea. Why didn't I.... Hang on a mo'.... wait a cotton pickin' minute. Why you little.......... :lol:

(Under pressure are we?! I hope I've not been keeping you out of the house.... :wink: Because the Sunday club rides are now shorter due to the shorter days, I am fitting two 100ks in the weekend rather than one. You'll have to wait and see how December pans out.....)
  • Rolf F wrote:
    (Under pressure are we?! I hope I've not been keeping you out of the house.... :wink: Because the Sunday club rides are now shorter due to the shorter days, I am fitting two 100ks in the weekend rather than one. You'll have to wait and see how December pans out.....)

Yep! I'm too scared to take a rest day :mrgreen:
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Of course, I have absolutely no interest in the 100km challenge scoreboard. And neither do I care about any collateral damage I might incur by doing two weekend rides. I can say that I won't be riding this weekend* though if that helps!

* and I may even be telling the truth!
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Of course, I have absolutely no interest in the 100km challenge scoreboard. And neither do I care about any collateral damage I might incur by doing two weekend rides. I can say that I won't be riding this weekend* though if that helps!

* and I may even be telling the truth!

Me neither :) I have had a great year as it is. Definitely want to get at least 1 more in Dec to finish it though 8)
  • rolf_f
    Admittedly, whilst I did promise that I had no intentions of putting any more 100km rides in this weekend, I said nothing about my plans for Wednesday........ :lol:
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Admittedly, whilst I did promise that I had no intentions of putting any more 100km rides in this weekend, I said nothing about my plans for Wednesday........ :lol:

That's just sneaky :evil:

:lol:
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

But the weather forecast was nice and I have leave to use up so what could I do? :(
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

But the weather forecast was nice and I have leave to use up so what could I do? :(

Sounds like you had no choice Rolf. :D
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Sounds like you had no choice Rolf. :D

Well it was actually a pretty tough ride. The only thing that kept me going was knowing that it would force you to go out and do another ride :lol:
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Well it was actually a pretty tough ride. The only thing that kept me going was knowing that it would force you to go out and do another ride :lol:

They all feel tough at this time of year, especially solo.
    Nothing like a bit of peer pressure to keep me motivated though :)
  • Dizeee
    This has been a fantastic thread, informative, interesting and quite reassuring. Thanks. If I had posted the same in pistonheads I would have been massacred within minutes...