couple of turbo training questions

paulwood
paulwood Posts: 231
Just ordered a turbo trainer, never had one before so not quite sure what i'm doing.

Anyway, a couple of questions.

Is there any reason I can't use my single speed instead of my road bike? it's a magnetic turbo with different resistance settings so i was thinking I could use these instead of changing gear

Also need suggestions for a heart rate monitor. Got a Garmin 800 but without heart rate or cadence. Don't really need these for rides outside but for training indoors I guess heart rate is necessary and cadence would be helpful. Do they make such a device? Failing that any suggestions for a reliable heart rate monitor would be great.

thanks
Paul

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    if your s/s wheels use track nuts, then you might have a problem attaching it to the turbo, as most of these use a QR fitting...
  • paulwood
    Ah, hadn't thought of that. yes, it has track nuts. Looks like the single speed will be the outdoor winter trainer then, not a bad thing.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Last winter I used a £20 argos HR watch on strap and worked fine on the turbo.A cheap computer like £10 from Halfords will give you speed time etc.
    Better stiil get the devices for your garmin and use that.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Imposter wrote:
    if your s/s wheels use track nuts, then you might have a problem attaching it to the turbo, as most of these use a QR fitting...
    That's why Tacx make these:
    tacx-axle-nuts-m10-x-1.jpg

The only issue I had using my single speed on the trainer was not with the axle nuts but with the rear dropout spacing. It was 120mm (as opposed to the 130mm spacing of modern road bikes) which meant the rear tyre was 10mm off the centre of the roller. Not really a problem but if I remember rightly it made the trainer a bit more noisy at high speeds...

EDIT: However, I think the Tacx nuts above are each 5mm wider than standard track nuts (which I was using), so if your SS bike has 120mm track spacing you should be fine using the Tacx nuts.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    A heart rate monitor isn't essential, especially if you don't usually use one out on the road. They are helpful on the trainer though, perceived effort would be fine aswell. Cadence sensor is really neither here nor there unless you are actively looking to increase/decrease your pedal rate.
    Saying that I would still buy the Garmin HR strap to go with your 800, more reliable than a cheapy and then it's there for out on the road aswell, but I like my numbers :wink:
  • paulwood
    Thanks for the replies, some ideas to think about.

I didn't know that my Garmin 800 just needed the Garmin heart rate strap, I thought heart rate and cadence also needed a different GPS unit. Will check that out.

As for using perceived effort, well I am inclined to be lazy..........
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My turbo takes track nuts just fine. I ride my fixed sometimes but its better with gears plus magnetic resistance - more options to torture yourself.