Etape Caledonia 2014

13»

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I had a terrible day. Was going well until a mile or two beyond the end of the KOM section, on the fast flat/downhill stretches further up the mountain. Some utter moron tried to overtake on the inside of a very fast corner when I was already at the edge of the road, didn't even give me a shout, just tried to barge through and sent me flying into the verge (at least it wasn't the road). Buckled a wheel, bashed up my knee pretty good and bent the mech hanger. The other guy managed to escape with a broken spoke and kept going after getting a spare wheel from Mavic... while I had to walk the last couple of miles to the top to get my knee patched up and wait for a lift back to Pitlochry. If you passed anyone trudging up the side of the road wheeling a bike that would have been me. Really annoyed, was on for 3:40 at least I think and worse had planned to stay up here all week and do a lot more cycling. Now I don't know if my knee is going to let me even if I get the bike sorted :?
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    Tough luck adr82. Certainly some 'mixed' riding skills on display today.

I just scraped in under 4 hours so very chuffed - was 4 1/2 last year. Didn't manage to beat Chris Boardman though - he finished in 3.49.

Made all the difference being in an appropriate wave - last year I was in the very last wave and had to do a lot of overtaking. This year got into several good groups and several I decided to leave as it didn't feel safe.

Heal quickly...
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Unfortunate adr82.... I was riding in the front peloton leading up to Schiehallion and we had to be VERY aware. Hundreds of riders all together with mixed abilities and confidence, but luckily no incidents for me.

Came in 3:42 and 149th place. Couldn't have given it any more really so I'm taking that and will spend a year improving!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    adr82 wrote:
    I had a terrible day. Was going well until a mile or two beyond the end of the KOM section, on the fast flat/downhill stretches further up the mountain. Some utter moron tried to overtake on the inside of a very fast corner when I was already at the edge of the road, didn't even give me a shout, just tried to barge through and sent me flying into the verge (at least it wasn't the road). Buckled a wheel, bashed up my knee pretty good and bent the mech hanger. The other guy managed to escape with a broken spoke and kept going after getting a spare wheel from Mavic... while I had to walk the last couple of miles to the top to get my knee patched up and wait for a lift back to Pitlochry. If you passed anyone trudging up the side of the road wheeling a bike that would have been me. Really annoyed, was on for 3:40 at least I think and worse had planned to stay up here all week and do a lot more cycling. Now I don't know if my knee is going to let me even if I get the bike sorted :?

Nightmare :( Hope he apologised at least!

I had a good day although the first 40 miles were bloody hard! I knew i was in for a tough shift when i dropped most of the other riders in the wave going up the queens view (im normally the one hanging on there hoping the elastic doesnt snap). Was another rider with me and we did a 2 up working our way through some groups - the faster riders in the early waves were further up the road and we couldnt catch them so it was slower groups we were catching - but if you are going faster as a 2 there isnt much benefit joining them so it was straight to the fromt and hoping someone would join us. Did grow a bit just before Schiehallion and the group of about 8 worked together well after the descent too eventually catching Chris Boardman and his group in the final 10 miles and chatting to him. In the end didnt make my 3.35 target (5 mins over) but still really pleased with the time. Knackered now and starving as well despite having had 2 lunches - one at 12 and another at 2 :D
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    I had a terrible day.

Sorry to hear it adr82… One of the reasons I didn't come this year is that I've found the group riding skills on display to be, er, mixed. Sorry to hear about the mech and knee; hope you get everything fixed up and manage to stay around a bit.
    Thanks for the commiserations, glad the rest of you had better days! It even stayed dry :)

I did see a couple of ambulances going down the south side of Schiehallion while waiting at the feed station though, sounded like there'd been a serious accident down that way somewhere - I'm guessing maybe the sharp corner at the bottom but don't know for sure.

And yeah some people just have no idea how to ride in a bunch... I've done this event 4 times in the last 5 years mainly because I like the closed roads and the chance to go cycling afterwards in this area of the country, but I doubt I'll do it again. Having so many entrants just increases the chances of running into someone like I did with no common sense whatsoever.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Get well soon adr82, that's rotten luck.

Yes, the standard of rising on display is some of the worst I have seen. A lot of riders riding in bunches e.g. with their front wheel beside the back wheel of the rider in front - an accident waiting to happen. Also, riders hogging the right side road on hills, etc.

If you want to get a decent time it seems you need to be have a number from 1-1000. Get a number 1000-5000 and you start half and hour or so later and there is less organisation in bunches and at times traffic congestion.

But let's forget the route is an absolute stunner and any visitor to Scotland hopefully goes away very impressed.
    The organisation is very good thoughout. The ride seems to get tailwinds in both directions, and there are no
    sections where you face a harsh headwind.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Best EC not only for the weather, but the organisation has also gradually got better over the last 6 years, everyone is riding faster, the locals now appear to regard this event as their own and I got my best time to date with a 3.55.

Since last year I have noticed that the high street in Pitlochry has far more empty shops and their suspension footbridge has been refurbished.
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    Was a great day, glad the weather forecasts were much worse than what we got.

Starting in Wave Y at 7.28 meant I had nobody to work with until 65 miles in. Finished in 4.18, 1 puncture and a glorious 1st trip to Scotland. Will definitely be back, but will only do this one again if I can start in a faster wave.

Was gobsmacked how little climbing there was, the 'official' 1950m total is a crock, not much more than half that. I'm sure Scotland has some bigger challenges to offer, but I'll stick with Devon and Cornwall for climbing practice!

Beautiful, especially round Loch Rannoch
  • nweststeyn
    Oh believe you me Spatulala, Scotland has a LOT more to offer when it comes to climbing :D
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    Spatulala wrote:
    Was a great day, glad the weather forecasts were much worse than what we got.

Starting in Wave Y at 7.28 meant I had nobody to work with until 65 miles in. Finished in 4.18, 1 puncture and a glorious 1st trip to Scotland. Will definitely be back, but will only do this one again if I can start in a faster wave.

Was gobsmacked how little climbing there was, the 'official' 1950m total is a crock, not much more than half that. I'm sure Scotland has some bigger challenges to offer, but I'll stick with Devon and Cornwall for climbing practice!

Beautiful, especially round Loch Rannoch

Yeah I got 967m overall climb. However the etape for me is not about the climbs. If you want a climb challenge sportive try the Kinross black route earlier in the year.
  • Is the Etape Caledonia the same route every year?

Same question for Etape Cymru?
  • nweststeyn
    Yes.
  • nweststeyn wrote:
    Yes.

Thank you.