Cipollini Bond - any reason why not?

2»

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    philthy3 wrote:
    There are Swiss watches and then there are Swiss watches just as there are Italian bikes and then there are Italian bikes.
    And then there are Japanese watches, like my vintage 1970s Seikos, which are of comparable quality, infinitely better value and much more interesting. :wink: Completely in-house movements, extremely accurate and reliable, and you don't need to look like a poser because everyone thinks it's "just a Seiko"...

The Swiss eventually banned Seiko from the observatory chronometer competitions Neuchâtel in the 1960/70s because they kept winning.
  • bucks
    bucks Posts: 91
    I rode one of these,

The frame is soo gucci.

However, I wouldn't recomend buying one. The headtube's are tiny... and I mean REALLY tiny.

They are not viable long term, long mile bikes imo.
  • bucks wrote:
    I rode one of these,

The frame is soo gucci.

However, I wouldn't recomend buying one. The headtube's are tiny... and I mean REALLY tiny.

They are not viable long term, long mile bikes imo.

I do like the Italian's sense of style. WRT the head-tube, the Cipollini website the large frame has a 152mm head tube, that's only 13mm less that my current Cube, and I've done a couple of 100 milers on that. Yes my neck, hands and back twinged a bit, but I would expect that most bikes are make you feel achey after 6 or 7 hours in the saddle.

I know that some of the other Cipo bikes RB1000 and possibly the RB800 are full on race bikes, the Bond is (supposedly) at lot less agressive. I'm not really after a alternate to a Defy or Roubaix.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I know nothing about Cipollini bikes but, if it helps, my watch is a £10 Casio and it seems to tick all the functional boxes :wink:
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I know nothing about Cipollini bikes but, if it helps, my watch is a £10 Casio and it seems to tick all the functional boxes :wink:
    Ticks the functional boxes, but if it's quartz it doesn't tick.. :wink:
  • I've decided (I think) on the bars & stem.

Gonna go for the Cinelli Neo Morphe XL carbon bar with a Cinello Neos stem. Keeps it Italian (don't mention the Shimano) and reviews suggest it's comfy too :-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    philthy3 wrote:
    saprkzz wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Am I jealous? Of course I am.

Why - you have a Basso :D

I know. I'm more than happy with the Basso but the likes of Cipo and Scapin are like the big brother of our Bassos. It's like having a top of the range Rolex when someone walks in the room wearing a Patek Phillippe. :D

(For those who know nothing about wrist watches, the Patek would be the most desirable out of the two.)

Depends on the person buying it.. I would rather a Rolex over any Patek! Thank god for multiple brands!! :D

Clearly you have no taste in Swiss watches.

Taste and modern Swiss watches have no place in the same sentence! At Geneva airport there are a series of illustrations of watches from the main Swiss watch makers - there are loads of them. None of the pictured watches are anything other than hideous. Go back to the 50s, 60s, and 70s and it is a very different picture.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It isn't the case, it's the workings.

Anyway back on topic; don't buy in to the "It's Italian so everything fitted to it must be Italian too" train of thought. Put on it what you want and what's good for you. You're building it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    philthy3 wrote:
    It isn't the case, it's the workings.

Anyway back on topic; don't buy in to the "It's Italian so everything fitted to it must be Italian too" train of thought. Put on it what you want and what's good for you. You're building it.

Spoy on.

My Basso Runs Shimano - because I tried Campag and despite lusting after it since a boy simply found that I did not get on with the ergonomics of it.

So seeing as I am riding it I fitted what I can get on with (although I really wish I had scoured the planet for brand new 9 speed stuff).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Dazza993 wrote:
    WRT the head-tube, the Cipollini website the large frame has a 152mm head tube, that's only 13mm less that my current Cube, and I've done a couple of 100 milers on that. .

How many spacers and what size upper bearing cover do you have now?

The Cippolini will look wrong if you have to add 13mm + your existing spacers and bearing cover into the mix.
  • On my Cube there's 15mm of spaces onto of the 20mm upper bearing cover.
    Up until a recent bike fit, I'd been running 25mm of spacers on the Cube. The bike fit suggested my saddle was too low and my bars too high.

So I'm tempted to go back to 25mm of spacers on the Cipollini - or at least start off there anyway.
  • Well - here's how it turned out....

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12956629