Training on Rollers

wacka
wacka Posts: 169
Hi

Anyone got any good workout sessions on rollers without the use of dvd's, if you get my drift!!

Cheers

Comments

• wacka
    wacka Posts: 169
    How much do you weigh? I only ask as because as a bigger fella (75kg/6'2") I can't get a good session on rollers, as even at 110rpm I can't push anything like the 315w necessary for an effort in a 'good session,' so for me it's only good for warmups.

88kg @ 5'10"
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Tyre pressures have a big effect on resistance. Most people should be able to manage up to level 5/VO2 max type efforts on the rollers.
  • How much do you weigh? I only ask as because as a bigger fella (75kg/6'2") I can't get a good session on rollers, as even at 110rpm I can't push anything like the 315w necessary for an effort in a 'good session,' so for me it's only good for warmups.

Not an issue on rollers with resistance.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    As suggested, run your tyres ay lower pressures or even use turbo-specific tyres as they seem to increase resistance even at very high pressures.

The answer really has to depend on your current fitness and goals. Generic sessions are easy to come up - at this time of year sweetspot sessions are popular eg 3x12 all the way up to 3x30 sessions, where the effort should be fairly hard but not maximal. You should be able to do these sorts of sessions for a few days on the bounce before you really need a rest. Then there are loads of variations on tempo and sweetspot sessions eg do 2 mins medium effort then 1 min hard then 2 mins medium and just repeat for an hour. Anything that just mixes it up a little is good.

Google indoor turbo sessions and you'll find hundreds of resources and ideas.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    The Bounce wrote:
    How much do you weigh? I only ask as because as a bigger fella (75kg/6'2") I can't get a good session on rollers, as even at 110rpm I can't push anything like the 315w necessary for an effort in a 'good session,' so for me it's only good for warmups.

Not an issue on rollers with resistance.

Something like the Elite Aran Mag will generate over 500w at 50kph, should be enough for most people - at least on a geared by :-)
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Agreed.

Kreitler do a table showing what wattage you put out at different diameter drums.

http://www.kreitler.co.uk/wattage.htm

With smaller drums 315 watts should be well within range for a rollers session.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]