Advice on keeping a pot dry.

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
Broke my right hand and at the moment i'm right into a turbo trainer program. Docs said try and keep it dry but i'm a bit of a sweater.

Has anybody got any tips?
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    how far does the cast go?
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Drill air holes!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Half way up my fore arm. Bit excessive I thought!

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • imposter2.0
    You could wrap a strip of towel around your upper forearm to stop sweat going in - but if these are hard sessions you will still sweat under the cast, unfortunately...
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Clingfilm
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can buy waterproof covers so you could go swimming in it - if you wanted to.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I dont think the OP wants to cover it as it sounds more like the issue is wetting it from sweating more than anything else?

I would suggest a simple option is setting up a good fan that is angled slightly onto your hand/arm area. Its amazing how much extra cooling you can create that way. Last night I had my fan slightly angled onto one side of my body and after an hour slogging really hard on the rollers, the arm in the airflow was considerably cooler than the rest of me!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • imposter2.0
    I think short of riding with one arm in the fridge, you are just going to have to accept that your arm is going to end up stinking - and after a few days, nobody will want to sit next to you on the bus...
  • TONY.M
    TONY.M Posts: 94
    Broke my right hand and at the moment i'm right into a turbo trainer program. Docs said try and keep it dry but i'm a bit of a sweater.

Has anybody got any tips?
    Hi there,

I am more than qualified with this very issue and hopefully can help out.

Firstly (and perhaps finally) keep cool by using a powerful industrial fan or two to stop the sweating. This is really all that is needed and I am a heavy sweater myself, if it is as powerful as it should be then the fan does not even need to be directed up the cast to stop the sweat build up inside the cast just aim the airflow at the body and head which is sufficient.

To be honest I have two powerful fans specifically for the turbo set up and I see people time and time again completely underestimate the cooling needed to prevent sweating in general on the turbo. I have absolutely no sweat running off my head, torso or anywhere else (even at 60mins near or at FTP) with the adequate air flow which is only achievable with powerful industrial fans. Unfortunately few seem to have a set up which allows sweat free turbo training and foolishly skimp on the most important thing which is the fan.

Other than better cooling with increased airflow I have no answer I'm afraid.

BTW Sorry to hear about the break. Hope you get better soon! I have plenty of experience with broken arms in casts (several times) and training on the turbo at the same time, the latest event was breaking both wrists in two places 11 weeks ago. Good Luck!

Cheers

Tony
  • Thanks for the tips guys. May need to invest in a fan then. Already accepted being smelly :(

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • TONY.M
    TONY.M Posts: 94
    Thanks for the tips guys. May need to invest in a fan then. Already accepted being smelly :(
    No problem SOS, let us know how you get along with things. Worse than the smell is the dreaded itching post sweating which is enough to drive me scatty.

Tony
  • Perhaps you could arrange to have Crystona cast fitted? This is a plastic/ resin based cast that is lightweight, has a low profile and is waterproof. I had one fitted years ago when I broke my leg and I was even able to continue training, albeit with a rubber pedal fitted on the leg with the cast!
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Was that one the NHS Bender? I might enquire.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Was that one the NHS Bender? I might enquire.

Yes, but then the NHS today is not what it was. Perhaps you could spin a tale of how you can't avoid getting the plaster wet at work or something. That said, I am not sure that Smith and Nephew still sell Crystona branded cast bandages, but I am sure that there are other resin / fibreglass based casts available.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.