Slower in winter

Buckie2k5
Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
edited November 2013 in Road general
Over the past few days the temps here have dropped a lot, 1c on tonights ride. I have noticed over the same 10 miles i have been 2 mins slower than my august times and it got me wondering why. I found this nice article on google, well worth a read especially the section on air density.

http://www.icebike.com/Articles/SlowerWinter.htm

Comments

• Yep, a winter KOM is worth double....
  • I played golf for 13 years before getting into cycling at quite a good level and during the winter, the same distance would need and extra club at least, sometimes more so can vouch for the air density thing.

The wife still wants me to find an interest where 'you don't have to dress like a dick' !! :D
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Yeah, this topic comes up quite often on here and the article does a good job of covering all the main points. Air density is definitely a major factor, I don't think it's a coincidence that my quickest TT times came on days when the weather was in the high 20s this summer.
  • I remember during the Olympics Chris Boardman explaining that increasing the velodrome temperature just by a degree or two can help track cyclists break world records. The difference between the summer and a day like today for a long day will be significant. Another thing to remember is that you lose more water when breathing cold, dry air as you have to humidify it. You probably need to drink as much as on a warm summer's day.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Too right about being slower, I've been scalped more in the past week than I remember all summer.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    craker wrote:
    Too right about being slower, I've been scalped more in the past week than I remember all summer.

lol? Surely the effects apply to everyone though.
  • It is to do with air density ( hot air less dense) and that muscles work better when It is warmer.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Interesting reading, thanks for sharing
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Lower temperatures mean your muscles just don't work right. Tonight with three layers I never really warmed up on the training ride. By the time I got back I was cold and it was not as fast as last week which was a good deal warmer.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • From what I understand, air density is a very, very minor difference, even when the temperature difference is 20c

according to that article it makes quite a bit of difference. 20c difference could be as much as 10%
  • mattgeezer
    mattgeezer Posts: 1,805
    yup about 2mph lower average for me, disappointing!
    Allez 2013
    Pitch 2011
    GT Moto 2003
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Won't it be down to the sum of the parts, clothing, road conditions, weather and maybe a heavier bike, add these together and you will be slower.
    Personally I find that it's mainly road conditions and clothing, there's no greater feeling than that first ride of the year in a ss jersey and shorts, it feels like you've been let off the leash.
  • I definitely go slower round corners and when descending in the winter which no doubt drops my speed a little. Like has been said, its the combination of everything
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,605
    I could really feel the difference yesterday. There was virtually no wind (judging by the lack of leaf movement) on my pan flat commute but it was like riding through treacle and my speed was about 1 - 2mph lower than I would expect in similar conditions during summer. I've lost some of my already limited fitness and less aero winter clothing doesn't help either but I could just feel the air much more (for want of a better description) on my face as I rode.
  • Air density mostly
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,937
    There's an article on this in the latest Cyclist mag, and the conclusion is it's down to the air density , although small factors will include harder rubber in the tyres not rolling as well, and a tiny reduction in muscle performance.
    Add in the more bulky winter clothing and you have your slower times.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Thank fu** i thought it was just me!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Every year I notice a significant deterioration in the fuel economy of the car in winter. Always put that down to the denser cold air. You could argue there's more drain on the engine powering lights, heated screens etc, but in the summer the aircon's running most of the time, so I don't think that's the case.

I always find I'm slower on the bike in the winter for all kinds of reasons. Mending punctures tends to affect average speed quite a lot for a start. As does eating 2 Christmas dinners in one day.
  • Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    Surely the extra weight from thicker clothing and extra inner tubes would have some effect?!?!
  • keef66
    Gunnsie wrote:
    Surely the extra weight from thicker clothing and extra inner tubes would have some effect?!?!

You fit extra inner tubes in winter??
  • Gunnsie
    keef66 wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

No... I take extra Inner Tubes in my saddle bag in the winter due to sh!t roads :roll: :D
  • keef66
    Gunnsie wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

No... I take extra Inner Tubes in my saddle bag in the winter due to sh!t roads :roll: :D

I'm still thinking that denser cold air is going to have more of an effect than an extra 100g inner tube. Or are you carrying dozens of the infernal things?
  • Gunnsie
    keef66 wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

I'm still thinking that denser cold air is going to have more of an effect than an extra 100g inner tube. Or are you carrying dozens of the infernal things?

More stuffed in my bag than in the summer, plus the weight of winter jackets, arm warmers, bigger gloves, bib tights, thicker socks, gilets etc etc etc.... would be a little bit more than 100g extra.
  • Gunnsie wrote:
    More stuffed in my bag than in the summer, plus the weight of winter jackets, arm warmers, bigger gloves, bib tights, thicker socks, gilets etc etc etc.... would be a little bit more than 100g extra.

Lights, you forgot lights! :wink:
  • I'd imagine the rolling resistance of the tyres increases with the colder temperature as well. I've definitely noticed my average speeds down by around 1.5-2mph ... doesn't seem to be much difference between the road bike and the boardman hybrid fitted with marathon winters. I suspect the significant difference is caused by the extra drag of having bib longs and slightly baggier clothing in general.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I suspect the significant difference is caused by the extra drag of having bib longs
    Only if you normally shave your legs - if you've got hairy legs then the bib longs may provide better airflow thus decreasing the normal resistance ...
  • Pretty sure the crud road racer mud guards don't help on the aerodynamics either!
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • keef66
    However, to counteract all this extra weight, much of the time in the winter I carry only half a bottle of drink. In the summer it's frequently 2 full ones.
  • Gunnsie
    YellaBelly wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

Lights, you forgot lights! :wink:

Oh oh oh.... and Lights!! (cheers YellaBelly!)
  • its probably all the beer I keep drinking in the evenings now evening riding is out for the winter :(