ALDI Bike Gear on Sale - Thurs 21st Nov.

designman
designman Posts: 405
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Just seen this on the ALDI website, some more cycling gear for sale Thursday 21st November.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... t-november

Comments

• I bought one of the blue jackets and the bright yellow/green rain jacket from Aldi during their last cycling promotion and TBF both have stood up admirably. Yes they are not as classy as something from Assos, but i have had no quibbles so far in needing to look for something better.

Some of Aldis stuff is great value for money.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • But what are the thoughts on them trying to go upmarket with the "performance" gear? Should they stick with the dirt cheap stuff for commuting or move up the food chain.....
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    The blue or red winter jackets look just as good as some 'upmarket' ie more expensive ones and do just as good a job IMO.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    But what are the thoughts on them trying to go upmarket with the "performance" gear? Should they stick with the dirt cheap stuff for commuting or move up the food chain.....

IMO, the biggest problem with the Aldi stuff (in general) is poor fit - or more specifically, poor cut. If they are going with 'performance fit' stuff, then they will need to up their game a bit on that score...
  • I've been trying to keep an eye (pardon the pun!) on the sale items for the cycling glasses. They come with 2 extra lenses and are pretty cheap but are meant to last well. I got various items from them before like socks and t-shirts and never had a problem with them.
  • Can anyone report on the Aldi 'performance' bib pants they have on sale today? Their winter tights have a weird shaped pad that is too far forwards and gets uncomfortable after an hour or so. Agree with a previous poster re the fit - my Aldi jacket would fit better if I had bigger moobs. :roll:
  • Just realised it's only Wednesday.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    numptie question but I take it this is only 'in store' only?

if so, are all branches of Aldi included?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    numptie question but I take it this is only 'in store' only?

if so, are all branches of Aldi included?

Yes, and yes (or should be).

I think last time out they didn't get all stock into my local branch, eg the Merino baselayer didn't show up. They do say that because the offers are limited, stock cannot be reserved or bought online.

Given the fact that again there are no small sizes in the jackets or the baselayers, I won't bother. Maybe have a look at the bibtights when in there on friday doing the weekly shop if they've any left, but I'm not going to make a special journey again.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Ta.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Seem to of gone upmarket, iv'e never spent more than £20 on an item of bike clothing yet, but have some pretty good italian branded stuff that was on sale from places like prendas, planet X etc, so dunno if £30 for clothing from aldi is worth it.

There £5.99 SS jerseys they did before are good though I should of bought more.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    So the cycling stuff that's on this page, https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... t-november , is that it or is that just a tiny sample of what's going to be on sale in store? Thanks.
  • I reckon thats your lot Ben. Im guessing come next year, before it warms up, ALDI will do the summer gear again.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Prices seem very low.

So , you buy some.

Spend the rest of winter thinking they are excellent value.. Or
    Spend the rest of winter wondering if the expensive stuff is really better.

Optimist or pessimist.
    The problem is that until you have spent loads on premium products you have no baseline to decide if cheap stuff is a better deal.
  • Prices seem very low.

So , you buy some.

Spend the rest of winter thinking they are excellent value.. Or
    Spend the rest of winter wondering if the expensive stuff is really better.

Optimist or pessimist.
    The problem is that until you have spent loads on premium products you have no baseline to decide if cheap stuff is a better deal.

It's all a heap better than the stuff I could afford thirty/twenty/ten(?) years ago at what are rock bottom prices today. I have no idea and, unless I win the lottery*, will never have an idea how much "better" the expensive stuff really is.

I bought some of the performance socks from the last promotion and have been very impressed so far. Likewise the winter gloves that I have only used three or four times so far.

I will at least be buying more socks and trying out the base layers this time around. It's a no-brainer for me. :D

*And I'm quite well paid. How do some of you find sooooo much disposable income?
  • Not been on the forums for a while...hi everyone!

I forgot to buy their socks! Might go back after lunch since I have half day....

Their gear is packed in well presented boxes (hence higher price! :P ) . I bought their bib tights. A stretch of £30 compared to Lidl's usual pair for a third of the price. Seems okay on first impressions and they fit okay (M) for me (ideally better for someone 5ft 10 or more) - they even stocked S but I am not been 28-30" since my teens many years ago. I originally wanted to get the trousers at £20 but thought they would be useless since they are only elasticated and have no drawstring to tie up....oh yes...the bib tights and the reflectives on the back is rendered useless due to its positioning as you have mentioned already. Has also a token YKK zip at the front.

Hope to maximise the usage of these on my commutes and weekend rides during the winter months.

And jacket looks good too but I already have enough gear already....so tempted but resisted!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I mostly use Aldi cycling gear with the exception of some decent bib shorts.

I may call in for a look later, but I can't quite get my head round paying £30 for their bib trousers when the last pair I bought there cost £10 and are still serviceable.

I have a feeling some of this batch of cycling gear may hang around?

(not particularly poor either...(just tight!)
  • Avit5
    Avit5 Posts: 114
    I went into my local Aldi store this morning at 08:30 and I was the only person in the shop looking at the cycling gear. I was looking at the performance jacket but tried the XL on and it was far too small in the arms. I am only 6ft 1" and don't consider myself to have long arms ! Looked for an XXL but didn't seem to have one. I did however purchase the performance jersey in an XL and this fitted fine in the arms and body. I have always found Aldi cycling gear to be inconsistent in their sizing. I also purchased some of the winter socks as they seemed ok for the price.
    The performance range does come in fancy boxes which makes trying on for size a bit more awkward. I imagine by the end of the day lots of the gear will be all over the place with lots of empty boxes on the floor!
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I bought bib longs, jacket and base top. The bibs were ridiculously baggy at the front and the jacket was a bit short at the front, both medium size. The jacket was fairly lightweight so more of a spring/autumn jersey affair than a winter jacket. Both jacket and bibs were returned but I kept the base top which seems of decent quality.
  • Despite telling myself to just leave it, it's only a couple of new things, I was there at 8am when the doors opened!

There wasn't the usual scrum, only one other in early like me, must be the fact there isn't that much to choose from, and it's reletively expensive for Aldi.

I tried on a jacket in medium, just to have a look (after prising it out of its ridiculous box - what a waste, and yes, there will be discarded, ripped open boxes and clothing everywhere jumble sale stylee within a couple of hours), and surprisingly it fit quite snuggly, and I'm always a size small in absolutely everthing. Agree about the weight though - more of a Spring/Autumn item than Winter. Bought the bib tights in small, but yet to try them on as I high-tailed it to work straight afterwards, along with a couple of pairs of the wool blend socks, which for £4 aren't exactly a gamble.
  • Yeah I bought a couple of pairs of socks.

Wasnt that impressed by the rest of the stuff seeing as the price is getting close to what you can pick up other stuff online.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Picked up one of the new 'performance' jackets this morning.
    Would say its definitely a jacket for autumn/spring as its a more jersey like material.
    Medium is pretty much perfect fit although does seem quite short in length at the front (im 5ft 10 with 38" chest). Definitely a far better fit than other jackets/jerseys i have tried from there.
  • Hi
    I nipped in to local Aldi today. Bought the performance jacket. I am a 42 inch chest with a little bit of extra padding, and so bought the L.
    Fits perfectly to be honest.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    looked at all the stuff today and it didnt look too bad to be fair. The jacket looked a much better cut than their usual stuff and there was nothing screaming Aldi about it really. Shame they are all pretty much black. Bibs didnt look too bad either although the pad looked pretty thin and cheap otherwise ok.

I picked up some socks though as they are cheap but very nice.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Socks - can't complain for £3.99
    Performance base layer - a steal if you can get hands on one, nearly out of stock everywhere.
    Cycling shirt - nothing special. Not worth the purchase at the similar to online price.
    Cycling jacket - nice cut & fit with mesh for sweat on back but pricey for aldi, not worth getting for £29.99 if you've already got a light jacket / gilet.
    Trousers - nice fit, although they do have an odd back to front design to them, worth the purchase at £19.99.
    Bib trousers - can't go wrong at £29.99 for these!
  • To ensure I always have my cycling socks available for cycling I bought the very garish red and grey ones. Look awful but that is the point!
    The jersey is very warm and wind cheating.
  • Islwyn wrote:
    Bib trousers - can't go wrong at £29.99 for these!

First try of bib trousers today and thought they felt good quality, although the front felt a little odd fitting with the different material they've used.

Is this due to what their made of as expected them to feel and fit like cycling shorts round this region, but with legs? :?

Is there much difference between these and say the basic DHB's or something similar priced or are is it nit-picking given the price?
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    Just been and bought the base layer and the performance jacket... The base layer fits perfectly in a large... The jacket is a nice cut and fits well. The only gripe I have about the jacket is the top of the zip and collar seem to flop forward a little bit, so not tight round my neck.... anyone else found this??
    Unfortunately I couldn't find any of their socks, :(
  • Socks - seem fine at £3.99
    Trousers - Like someone has said they seem a bit back to front - got the large and they're ok
    Baselayer top - XL is a good fit and this seems to be the star of the show for me
    Cycling shirt - XL is "just" ok but a little tighter than I would like

Tried the performance jacket in XL and it was ridiculously small - a depressing experience this one and my mood only marginally improved when I discovered that the large (rather than XL) trousers fitted nicely!!!
  • Two pairs of socks is all I bought. Have two softshell jackets already (including an Aldi one) so no need for another. Pads in the trousers/bibs did not impress me.