Voluntarily rear daytime lights

Team4Luke
Team4Luke Posts: 597
edited November 2013 in Road general
So, given cars now have daytime front running light and the amount of recent cyclist hit and killed, a growing trend, many in my club too including one from behind recently - how about all cyclists start to use a good rear flashing light during the day time.
I know this is no answer. But would it be helpful in sending a message out there when drivers suddenly notice that all cyclists are doing this, might make the news too.

Discuss
Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Team4Luke wrote:
    So, given cars now have daytime front running light and the amount of recent cyclist hit and killed, a growing trend, many in my club too including one from behind recently - how about all cyclists start to use a good rear flashing light during the day time.
    I know this is no answer. But would it be helpful in sending a message out there when drivers suddenly notice that all cyclists are doing this, might make the news too.

Discuss
    I use a flashing rear light if the conditions suggest visibility will be restricted - eg this morning which was a little murky - cars had headlights on and my rear light was on. Reason for it is partly because if the oncoming cars have headlights on then the car coming up behind may pay more attention to them than me - as I'm on country roads they don't come up slowly!

IMHO, it should also go on in bright daylight if going through a darker area - eg tree enclosed roads.

As for drivers suddenly noticing that all cyclists do it ... I doubt it ... it seems many of them wouldn't suddenly notice a rocket crashing through their rear window after passing too close to a cyclist ... (hmmm a rocket launcher could be fun! :o)
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I have a couple on when I ride in the winter, but I don't bother in the summer.
  • Since being knocked off I always have my rear light on flashing. As previously said even on the brightest of days you can end up in the shadows. At this time of year the Sun low every little helps.
  • slowbike
    GiantMike wrote:
    but I don't bother in the summer.
    Interesting - I have 3 in the winter - but drop down to 1 in the summer - it doesn't weigh anything much so it's always there just in case - I do take the front lights off for the summer though - usually suffice with fitting a flasher on if going further afield or refit the main lights if expecting to be out after dark.
  • TBH a High Vis jersey is more obvious than a light on during the day.
  • TBH a High Vis jersey is more obvious than a light on during the day.

That as well! I now look like one of the Blue Man Group but in Neon whilst out on the bike!
  • I tend to have my rear light flashing most of the time. However evidence from when I'm driving and seeing other cyclists with a flashing rear light is that it makes zero difference in proper daylight conditions much of the time I'm close to overtaking the cyclist before I notice the light is flashing.

However in winter gloomy conditions or especially same with going under tree cover then there is some merit in having it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I do run flashing lights through the darker months - but in the summer I don't bother. Most of the time the sun is much brighter than lights and I do tend to go for brighter jerseys.

What is silly is the amount of rain jackets that are black or grey.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    One flashing rear at this time of year if it's dull and if it's really gloomy I'll put a Knog thing on the front.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    I run my lights all year round. In the summer drivers have tinted glass and sunglasses even on overcast days - I am making myself as visible as possible. Having bright rechargeable lights helps.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Some lights - not sure which - have a daytime flash mode, I've seen some of them out on the road and even in broad daylight you can see them flashing from half a mile away.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    If it's gloomy I use a flashing rear light but I don't bother in the summer.
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    Let's not propose making it harder to jump on a bike and ride. If most cyclists start using lights in daytime then motorists will come to expect them and those without will get abuse for not having them, or get hit by a driver who was only looking out for flashing lights. If I want to pop down the shops during the day I don't want to bother with lights and I don't want to have to make sure my kids have working lights when they suddenly decide to cycle down to the park with their mates on a sunny afternoon.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    My dynamo lights are usually set to "Sensor" which comes on in dim light, but often in winter it is dull but too bright to trigger them so I switch to ON. The rear is solid, not flashing.
  • My rear light is now on all the time, and i am getting extra rear light for night riding.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hope District is on during all rides, all year..
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I tried a rear light during the daytime, briefly, I found drivers seemed to pass closer when I had it on than with it off. Go figure.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I have a flashing front light on for daytime riding. I figure that if someone's going to be driving along texting and ram me from behind, a rear light won't make any difference.

However, I noticed a dramatic drop in the number of tw4ts pulling out in front of me when I started using the front light.

On a lighter note, I rode on to a roundabout some months ago, and a lorry had just pulled on to the roundabout at the previous exit. He and I were the only traffic and as he got to within earshot, the passenger leaned out and yelled,

"Get a hi-vis jacket you idiot".

I still haven't :oops: (soon will be, as it happens), but it made me smile.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I use my Exposure Flare at this time of year on every ride - its VERY visible from a long way even in sunlight. Particularly good for low visibility and low winter sun in the mornings. I dont worry about it in summer though.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I got knocked off today whilst waiting to go on a roundabout , I had a rear flashing light on, I'm going to be running 2 from now on and more reflectors too.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    TBH a High Vis jersey is more obvious than a light on during the day.

Not when it's misty/foggy/murky it's not. I think some people feel they get the halo of wearing high vis (not saying it doesn't help/work before i get flamed)

There's a guy I pass here most days on the busy A128 here in Essex and I just want to scream at him to get some lights! Don't get me wrong, currently he has a Hump thing on his backpack and a fluro yellow his vis style jacket, but as it's a 50mph single lane A road, you come on top of him very quickly and the hi vis doesn't really help in lower light. I swear the guys has a set the size of Ron Jeremy because I have winced seeing how close he has been on many occaison (and that includes the summer months as well)

As others have noted, having 'an appropriate' rear or set of rear lights I personally think is valuable. Flashing helps as the eye will natuarally be attracted to movement, but it has to be bright enough to ensure you can be seen. I've got an Exposure Flare with a Cat Eye loop for backup, but am thinking of chngin it to one of those Knog Blinders
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • mattgeezer
    mattgeezer Posts: 1,805
    Moon 60 or exposure trace always on at the rear and flash at the front, if i am in heavy traffic around town i will switch my xp300 or volt 1200 on flash too
    Allez 2013
    Pitch 2011
    GT Moto 2003
  • poor conditions aside one would expect cyclists to be sensible and use lights, so that aside just the basic principle of a sudden taken up doing it and it becoming the norm to see, that little flasher might just save someone one day when it activates a brain cell in a driver.
  • slowbike
    Team4Luke wrote:
    poor conditions aside one would expect cyclists to be sensible and use lights, so that aside just the basic principle of a sudden taken up doing it and it becoming the norm to see, that little flasher might just save someone one day when it activates a brain cell in a driver.
    until it becomes the norm - then the driver doesnt see those in good vis without lights ...

I have similar issue with HiVis jackets/vests - they're the norm these days so it doesn't make you standout - you're no longer unusual ...

With "usual" comes complacency - both for the driver and the cyclist ...
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Slowbike wrote:
    Team4Luke wrote:
    poor conditions aside one would expect cyclists to be sensible and use lights, so that aside just the basic principle of a sudden taken up doing it and it becoming the norm to see, that little flasher might just save someone one day when it activates a brain cell in a driver.
    until it becomes the norm - then the driver doesnt see those in good vis without lights ...

I have similar issue with HiVis jackets/vests - they're the norm these days so it doesn't make you standout - you're no longer unusual ...

Then your counter-argument would be that nobody should have them other than a select few who we want to stand out?

Every rider need to look after themselves and make themselves as safe as they choose to. Lights, helmets, good road positioning, well-maintained bike, obeying the road laws etc. Take your pick according to how long you want to live.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I got knocked off today whilst waiting to go on a roundabout , I had a rear flashing light on, I'm going to be running 2 from now on and more reflectors too.

First time I got knocked off on a mrb was in broad daylight. I knew the bump was coming because I was watching the lady's eyes as she joined the roundabout with me on it and she never even looked in my direction. Lights/hi vis/etc, would have made no difference whatsoever. Some wings might have helped me as I flew across her boot :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Baring in mind the amount of people who don't use lights when they legally should be I'm not sure that voluntary daytime lights would change anything. People who feel they are of benefit (myself included sometimes) tend to use them anyway and those who don't will probably continue not to.
  • slowbike
    GiantMike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Team4Luke wrote:

Then your counter-argument would be that nobody should have them other than a select few who we want to stand out?

Every rider need to look after themselves and make themselves as safe as they choose to. Lights, helmets, good road positioning, well-maintained bike, obeying the road laws etc. Take your pick according to how long you want to live.
    Not the select few - just the select few times when we need to stand out when we otherwise wouldn't ...

I feel there is no right answer - if we cyclists don't do enough to make ourselves visible then we get the blame, similarly if we don't wear cycle helmets then we could get a portion of the blame should our heads be injured in a crash - it's wrong - but it being wrong doesn't prevent the accident ... then we're into the visibility arms race - and that's against cars too because their lights have become brighter and more efficient, plus many are now on during the day ..
  • the hi-vis argument doesn't really have a bearing on this, these are generally worn by commuters on their repeated daily journeys, fine too. The rest of the cycling world/individuals/sportive riders/club runs, we do not wear such, the sudden appeareance of the everday cyclists with a rear light will send a message out and show some responsibilty.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Lights are a good option at this time of year when the sun is always pretty low in the sky and you can become invisible in the glare. A "flasher" makes you stand out a bit.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem