Cancellara contre la montre for the hour record

13»

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Looking back, it was a big mistake not to allow new bike designs... there was a time when the competition was thriving (Moser, then Boardman, Obree... ) and manufacturers were interested in the Hour record. Then they went back to the middle ages and nobody has bothered with it. It's time to revise the rules... it's irrelevant if Cancellara is faster than Merckx with the same setup, this is about human effort... how fast a man can go simply propelled by his own legs. We don't need to know if the new specimen of human race is faster than the old specimen. As long as the bike resembles a bike used in PRO races (in that it has two wheels and the rider is sitting upright) I am game for everything. I would not allow recumbent and such, as I don't think top riders would bother to learn how to go fast on one of them, so the competition would be at a dead end

I agree with that. If it's allowed in the regs for normal track races, let 'em use it for the hour.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Maybe in athletics the 100m record should only be valid if it's done on an old cinders track like Jesse Owens ran on.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Maybe in athletics the 100m record should only be valid if it's done on an old cinders track like Jesse Owens ran on.

With the pieces of string marking the lanes?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Its about time the UCI designed a bike of their own for such records. Let the past stand. Move forward with a new standard. Simple.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!