Fun or Speed: Whats your choice?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You get bigger differences on the road IMO - notably wind and bunch riding. I know a lot of the road segments round here fell during the Tour of Britain, and having ridden some of them I can put out a similar power to the KOMs, but I'm 30% slower!

On the MTB everyone slows down in winter and gets quicker in summer, it's much more cyclical. On the road rider x could be really slow one day, and KOM the next.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I like Strava, a few mates use it too, we can see what we've all been up to, we can compete against eachother for fun. It's nice to keep track of the miles and it's also relatively useful as a training tool. Makes much more sense when it comes to riding on the road though.
    A good rider on a rubbish bike will be faster than an average rider on an expensive bike so I disagree that you can buy your way to the top.

Equaly a good rider on a "rubbish" bike will be slower than a good rider on an expensive bike.

I have seen some very good riders on rubbish bikes show up talentless riders on top end bikes.
    I would say the differences in bikes don't really count for as much as a lot of people think.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I like Strava, a few mates use it too, we can see what we've all been up to, we can compete against eachother for fun. It's nice to keep track of the miles and it's also relatively useful as a training tool. Makes much more sense when it comes to riding on the road though.
    A good rider on a rubbish bike will be faster than an average rider on an expensive bike so I disagree that you can buy your way to the top.

Equaly a good rider on a "rubbish" bike will be slower than a good rider on an expensive bike.

I have seen some very good riders on rubbish bikes show up talentless riders on top end bikes.
    I would say the differences in bikes don't really count for as much as a lot of people think.

I don't think that's what he's trying to say though and what others have tried to say as well, take two riders of similar ability, give one a cheap bike and the other and expensive one and it's likely the guy on the expensive (better) bike will be quicker than the guy on the cheap (worse) bike
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Angry Bird wrote:

Anecdotal evidence does not trump sound logic and reasoning.
  • Arrrgggghhhhhh......who fecking cares!

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • bennett_346
    lawman wrote:
    I don't think that's what he's trying to say though and what others have tried to say as well, take two riders of similar ability, give one a cheap bike and the other and expensive one and it's likely the guy on the expensive (better) bike will be quicker than the guy on the cheap (worse) bike
    Pretty much.
  • bennett_346
    Myster101 wrote:
    Arrrgggghhhhhh......who ******* cares!
    Not you, clearly. Bye-bye.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    lawman wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:

That's exactly what I was meaning. I think he's just too thick to realise it.
  • Myster101 wrote:
    Arrrgggghhhhhh......who ******* cares!
    Not you, clearly. Bye-bye.

You going somewhere nice? Hope the weathers a bit warmer than here, have a good time.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Strava has its uses, until you realise youve been chasing the postman in his van up a hill (sure someone has had that one here).
    I use it more with my friends were all unfit to varying degrees so its a bit of fun and motivation currently were seeing who can ride the furthest not the fastest.
    Biking is more for me about having fun an yes a big chunk of that can be speed catching some air etc but you can still have loads of fun a slower speeds plus you can see more than if your batting around only focusing on the trail your riding.

Youll always have stat chasers its the nature of sport some people are more competitive than others. Equally youll have people who dont give a crap an just log it so they can have a record of what they have done and where.
  • lawman
    Angry Bird wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:

That's exactly what I was meaning. I think he's just too thick to realise it.

Cos he's a downhill racer boy innit ;) He must be this guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTyjQbvylg
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    :lol: That's brilliant. :lol:
  • angry_bird
    Ahhh I see, I thought he was just a bit special.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yeah Rocket monkey made another video too ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNqjCAy6Sg
  • lawman
    welshkev wrote:

Yeah I've heard he rides park a lot, but not bike park wales...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't ride park. Or trail centres. Mostly because I don't like other people.
  • lawman

Have you tried Strava? I hear it's great for people with no friends!!
    Strava is for competitive people with no mates or a fear of social interaction.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    lawman wrote:

:lol:
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    Fun, but it's nice to know I'm getting faster as my fitness improves.
  • bennett_346
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    Why not just use Endomondo then, it's far better as far as tracking goes with less emphasis on prissy leaderboards for routes.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    lawman wrote:

pahahaha
  • njee20
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    Why not just use Endomondo then, it's far better as far as tracking goes with less emphasis on prissy leaderboards for routes.

How? Surely leaderboards are the best evidence of getting faster? What does Endomondo do differently?
  • bennett_346
    njee20 wrote:
    Matt-r8 wrote:

How? Surely leaderboards are the best evidence of getting faster? What does Endomondo do differently?
    Having used both i found it far better for tracking your own personal development. Comparing yourself to a leaderboard of others is less than ideal IMO.
  • angry_bird
    welshkev wrote:
    lawman wrote:

pahahaha

+1. Post of the day.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    welshkev wrote:

:lol: This guy's a genius.
  • njee20
    njee20 wrote:
    Matt-r8 wrote:

Having used both i found it far better for tracking your own personal development. Comparing yourself to a leaderboard of others is less than ideal IMO.

But how? What does it do that tracks personal development? They only have the same data to work with? From what I've seen Strava Premium is pretty good if you want actual analytics, but otherwise they're limited by the data you're putting in, and what those metrics can tell you. Agree that relative positions aren't that useful, but if you're regularly smashing PRs on Strava then you're probably going better, likewise if you're moving up leaderboards. What can Endomondo do that's different?
  • angry_bird
    I find strava easier to use than endomondo too, and nicer to look at too.
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 wrote:

I just look at my watch before I set off and then again when I finish the trail.
  • bennett_346
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    Matt-r8 wrote:

I just look at my watch before I set off and then again when I finish the trail.
    Your watch tells you your speed at particular section of a route on a visual map? Wow!
  • Matt-r8
    No, why would it. I never implied it did either. My initial reply was "fun" if my watch states I've done a trail a little quicker than the time before, then it's a bonus. I don't need to go on a leader board to tell me I'm slow up hill but quick down. Maybe if I was competitive and was looking at where improvements could be made, the Apps would be a useful tool.