Pig ignorant.

13»

Comments

• pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    themekon wrote:
    No wonder a lot of motorists hate us. Out for a ride this morning on a narrow country road. Car in front slows down to let a group of cyclists out from a turning on the right. The group of about 15 riders all proceeded along the road now in front of the car that had let them out. Did they do the polite thing and ride in single file to let her pass ? no .Carried on riding two and three abreast. So if you were in a group of riders that then called into the café in Mountsorrel at about 10.45 this morning, a word of advice, pack up cycling, you're just a bunch of tossers. Rant over.

Just out of curiosity: which narrow country road were you riding on, which turning on the right did they come out of and which cafe did they call into? No, I wasn't one of them but Mountsorrel is just across the valley and I'm being a nosy neighbour trying to visualise the sequence of events as described...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    leodis75 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:
    Have you been on a group ride of 12+ riders and every time a car approaches from behind go into single file? Don't be daft, its not only dangerous but how do you manage that with every car? The highway code states cyclists can ride two abreast, if the car cannot pass due to space then I would have thought they would have to wait to pass, you don't see as many drivers moaning about been stuck behind a tractor for miles as you do moaning about cyclists.
    To me it is just arrogance to do this and shows no respect for other road users.

Get over yourself, your argument falls flat on its ass when I say drivers should show respect to slower road users and wait until its safe to overtake.

Round by us the tractors pull into laybys frequently to let the traffic past. If a tractor can get out of the way then a bike can. If you want to take risks actively blocking other road vehicles that is you choice and also your responsiblity. I find it hard to understand how you expect to get respect from other road users when you are not giving them any.

So you want a group ride to pull over every time a car is stuck behind them? You obviously do not ride in groups.

Yes the roads are shared highways and it is everyones interest to use common sense to allow all to use them easily. I find it hard to understand how you expect to get respect from other road users when you are not giving them any.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Cygnus wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:
    Have you been on a group ride of 12+ riders and every time a car approaches from behind go into single file? Don't be daft, its not only dangerous but how do you manage that with every car? The highway code states cyclists can ride two abreast, if the car cannot pass due to space then I would have thought they would have to wait to pass, you don't see as many drivers moaning about been stuck behind a tractor for miles as you do moaning about cyclists.
    To me it is just arrogance to do this and shows no respect for other road users.

Get over yourself, your argument falls flat on its ass when I say drivers should show respect to slower road users and wait until its safe to overtake.

Round by us the tractors pull into laybys frequently to let the traffic past. If a tractor can get out of the way then a bike can. If you want to take risks actively blocking other road vehicles that is you choice and also your responsiblity. I find it hard to understand how you expect to get respect from other road users when you are not giving them any.
    There won't be enough room in a passing place if it's a large group.

Why would anyone ride in a large enough group to disrupt other road users and then make a list of excuses about why they can't show respect to other road users ?

Sounds like some cyclists are looking for a confrontation with other road users or have no empathy for other road users beyond their own selfish needs. These actions give cyclists a bad name and create the potential for unnecessary danerous situations.
  • Good example of a road user who's unsure whether to take primary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIoaag3sZmM
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    Kajjal wrote:
    Cygnus wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:

There won't be enough room in a passing place if it's a large group.

Why would anyone ride in a large enough group to disrupt other road users and then make a list of excuses about why they can't show respect to other road users ?

Sounds like some cyclists are looking for a confrontation with other road users or have no empathy for other road users beyond their own selfish needs. These actions give cyclists a bad name and create the potential for unnecessary danerous situations.
    Are you really a cyclist?
  • There's a lot of people in this discussion who seem to be effectively saying 'cyclists riding 2 abreast should get the fcuk off the road.' Surely everyone on here is a cyclist anyway?
    Fundamentally from the outset this thread has been about some road users asserting their beliefs upon other road users just as some motorists have done over cyclists for decades.

Unfortunately, some contributors haven't recognised the parallel to be drawn and the futility in pursuing it. Only Mikey23 has offered a solution of the educated educating the uneducated but even that was argued against.
  • I'm relly surprised by a lot of people's attitudes here - seemingly supporting the typical angry driver's view that cyclists are second class citizens on the road, and that roads are for cars. We have as much right to the road as drivers. If you single up or split the group every time a car appears behind you then the group will never stay together. If a car gets held up for a minute or two, big deal.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm relly surprised by a lot of people's attitudes here - seemingly supporting the typical angry driver's view that cyclists are second class citizens on the road, and that roads are for cars. We have as much right to the road as drivers. If you single up or split the group every time a car appears behind you then the group will never stay together. If a car gets held up for a minute or two, big deal.

A minute or two is fine - but think about it ...

How does the car driver know that the group is aware that he's there and may help facilitate safe passage? It could be that the group knows the road and that there is a suitable passing place just up the road, but the driver doesn't and all he's got is a group of cyclists blocking the road. Or perhaps the cyclists are going to turn off?

It's not about second class citizens or one set of road users being more important than another - it's about common courtesy - something that many people seem to lack these days.
  • I'm relly surprised by a lot of people's attitudes here - seemingly supporting the typical angry driver's view that cyclists are second class citizens on the road, and that roads are for cars. We have as much right to the road as drivers. If you single up or split the group every time a car appears behind you then the group will never stay together. If a car gets held up for a minute or two, big deal.

+1
  • It's because car drivers for a very long time have had entirely their own way on the roads only being held up by other cars, as with every change in situation there are those who seek to stop it.
  • Just read this thread from the start to the end.

Let's get it straight the group did not pull out of the turning and remain stationary for 10 minutes? I assume that they had an average speed of 15mph or higher? in my experience most accidents or near misses happen because road users do not or are not willing to slow down assess the situation and wait for the right time to overtake. Cyclists are not tractors or caravans, we will not hold you up for miles and miles, I've had the "you don't pay road tax, so you got no rights on the road", well thats b******s because I own 2 cars and believe me I do. There seems to be sympathy for horses but not cyclists. The driver will be held up by either so why is there no sympathy for cyclists? it amazes me at the disregard for someone's life as soon as you turn that key. This includes those who go f******g mental when they have to stop and have to wait for 30 seconds at red lights and god forbid anybody who wants to be let out of turning or join their lane in a filter situation and see them emergency vehicles I'm not letting them go by either.

On a ride last Saturday I had one driver overtake me on the right of a keep left sign in a 30mph zone whilst I was doing 33mph (downhill of course) he was doing 50+ on the wrong side of the road!!!, another driver overtook me on the right as I was in a turn right filter lane whilst I was signalling that I would be turning right and an elderly gentleman who took my struggling up a steep but short and narrow hill to mean yes I would like a game of chicken with your luton van forcing me to take evasive action by riding into a hedge. There will be those who say I should have gotten out of his way but you do have rights as a road user and you are supposed to give way to vehicles coming up hill in the opposite direction, this guy did give way and stop for the car in front of me so why not wait 10 seconds for me to pass also? People just seem to be in a rush to get where ever they are going, the speed limit means nothing and there is no respect for other road users be it in other vehicles or other modes of transport.

I got a mate who is a driving instructors instructor, so he basically teaches driving instructors how to instruct leaner drivers and he has stated that at no point is respect for other road users taught to new drivers, awareness of other road users is important and who has the right of way but it seems that the respect thing is down to our own nature and it would seem that we don't have any.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    I'm relly surprised by a lot of people's attitudes here - seemingly supporting the typical angry driver's view that cyclists are second class citizens on the road, and that roads are for cars. We have as much right to the road as drivers. If you single up or split the group every time a car appears behind you then the group will never stay together. If a car gets held up for a minute or two, big deal.

+1

Newbies innit. Still motorists at heart but wanting to be involved in the current trendy sport. Probably the same people who take the 'club cycling isn't for me' approach and then ask for all the advice they would pick up if they joined a club.