No Quintana in tour 2014

Comments

• rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Cobbles were great the last time the tour raced on them.

Even Andy Schleck rode well on the cobbles.

It's still quite early and riders could still change their minds.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I think the cobbles are mostly a convenient excuse. It sounds better than 'We think Froome is going to win anyway and at this stage of my career I prefer a shot at winning a Grand Tour over getting on the TdF podium'.
  • FJS wrote:
    I think the cobbles are mostly a convenient excuse. It sounds better than 'We think Froome is going to win anyway and at this stage of my career I prefer a shot at winning a Grand Tour over getting on the TdF podium'.

Pretty much. I'd say the cobbles have nothing to do with it. Purito could cruise the cobbles if he wanted surrounded by some serious experience.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    FJS wrote:

Possibly. If there had been 150k of cobbles fair enough, but Froome is hardly built for the rough stuff is he? One thing you can count on though, by the time it gets to Tour time he " will" be good on the cobbles. Preparation. :lol:
  • Will some of the tour contenders be riding Paris-Roubaix this year - if just for the experience?
  • rayjay
    If It rains when they hit the cobbles then we could have some very dramatic events.

Lets hope it rains and we get some real excitement after 2 years of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oooooh ooooohh IMO :lol:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    What next? Contador to announce that since 'all' his rivals are concentrating on the Giro this year, he can't shirk from the challenge of joining them.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Quintana confirms he's doing the Giro/Vuelta this year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-tour ... na-in-2014
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Who else is up for Giro/Vuelta?

A Quintana & JRod battle at the Vuelta should be good.
  • Ooo Giro is going to be a race! Seeing Quintana on the Stelvio and with that big mountain TT...

Excited!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Ooo Giro is going to be a race! Seeing Quintana on the Stelvio and with that big mountain TT...

Excited!

I saw Quintana climb Honnister at this years ToB, he was hardly breathing and looked so cool.

I cannot wait for the Giro, for me its my fave GT :)
  • rayjay
    MartinGT wrote:
    Ooo Giro is going to be a race! Seeing Quintana on the Stelvio and with that big mountain TT...

Excited!

I saw Quintana climb Honnister at this years ToB, he was hardly breathing and looked so cool.

I cannot wait for the Giro, for me its my fave GT :)

Got to agree. The Giro and Vuelta still have a raw feel about them.

The tour has lost it's way the last few years.

It won't be long before they have to cycle through a Mc Donalds drive through.
  • A good decision by him and the team.
    Target the mountainous tours and minimize the flat time trialling.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Now he may do the Tour. He's such a tease. Do it Nairo. Just 50k of TT and the sport needs the best racing each other regularly.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quintan ... alia-start
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Now he may do the Tour. He's such a tease. Do it Nairo. Just 50k of TT and the sport needs the best racing each other regularly.

Mmmm, but there's no mention of riding the Tour there, either.
    As reported, the team have him down for the Giro/Vuelta
    and he still talks about riding the Giro, but as a possibility, not a certainty.
    So is it the Vuelta that's the issue: He wants the G-T, they want the G-V,
    or do they really want the T-V?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    RichN95 wrote:

Mmmm, but there's no mention of riding the Tour there, either.
    As reported, the team have him down for the Giro/Vuelta
    and he still talks about riding the Giro, but as a possibility, not a certainty.
    So is it the Vuelta that's the issue: He wants the G-T, they want the G-V,
    or do they really want the T-V?

He'd win the lot if it he took the TVG.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ^ paying homage to those early Tour riders? Is there no end to his panache?

HEAVYWEIGHT
  • Dunno whats going on over at Movistar

One minute he's doing the Giro and 'working hard' on his TTing

The next he says the Giro's a 'possibility' and 'the bosses havent said anything yet'

• Macaloon
    He's a tug of love case. The Giro couldn't get defending TdF champ this time, so for route launch publicity, they 'borrowed' Quintana's halo - prepared to give it back when Movistar (the sponsor) ask the team how they'll guarantee a podium in the big race of the year.

I know it would improve The Giro immensely to have Quintana ride, and he'll stand a good chance of winning, making it a better option for Quintana. But it makes no sense for Movistar, the sponsor for him to ride the Giro and not the Tour.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    In the meantime, Belkin's main team goals this season? The Tour de France and .............. the Tour of California.
    OK, follow the money and all, but still...
    http://nos.nl/artikel/599982-belkin-zet ... ornie.html
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Good publicity just wondering where he'll race.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    deejay wrote:
    Also, Quintana is quite unique at the moment. It's not unreasonable to assume the Tour would tailor a route in future for him that's at least as favourable as this one.
    Well if Armstrong and Pantani were able to suddenly become TT riders, then nothing is out of the question.

those 2 had more chemicals inside them than a chemical factory. not a fair comparison. Quintana is not a bad TTer, but is lightweight.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    Now claiming that Movistar management haven't confirmed his schedule yet:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/01/news/quintana-on-tourgiro-decision-im-going-crazy_314559
  • Movistar have just confirmed - Nairo for the Giro, Piti for the Tour

http://movistarteam.com/noticias/2014-1 ... de-al-tour
  • Macaloon
    ^b0ll0cks :(
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I'd much prefer him ripping up the Giro. Seeing him in pink dancing up a 15%er badly paved road while the rain pours down...wow!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • What will you do if it's all sunshine this Giro, FF? :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited January 2014
    Ah, we will see...Giro is often a very rainy GT.

BERT-SOLO.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Happy to see him 3 miles from my house.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    I agree. Lots of fine things should happen in the Giro as a result. Just think he'll be missed more in July than he's loved in May.