Jacket or jersey for winter

2»

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Burt25 wrote:
    Guys, thanks for the advice- I'm torn between getting a wind-stopper jacket (Mavic echappee is top of the list) or getting a wind stopper gilet to wear over my normal gear. Any thoughts (I usually run fairly warm, but my current kit just isn't keeping the heat in enough in current temps)

I'm bias, own the Mavic echappee and never had a gilet. Its bloody ace, wear it from Sept > March with different base layers doing 200+ miles per week. If I get too hot, open up the vents or pull down the zip, voila, no need to whip off a gilet.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Burt25 wrote:
    Gazmania1 wrote:
    I use the Gore Phantom 2.0 jacket and it's great. Just use a long sleeve base layer, ss jersey and the jacket, saw me through all last winter and still in great condition.

Gazmania- have you had any issues with the zip on the gore jacket? (I've read reviews which say the zip is problematic)
    Also, is this jacket close fitting?

I have a Phantom and no problems with the zips so far (but this will only be it's second winter). I like the fact you can remove the sleeves and turn it into a gilet if required. Fairly snug fit; Gore sizing advice is pretty accurate for this one.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Just buy a jacket then get out in the cold and rain you complete wuss! I've got a Campagnolo one, decent fit and have been wearing it with just a merino base layer underneath so far and has been toasty warm - a bit too warm if anything, but I'm confident it willl keep me on the road right through winter. There are some good deals on Campag stuff as they have stopped making clothing now.
  • I'm in a similar boat. I've currently been fine with a base layer, arm warmers and a gilet, but I will need something a bit warmer in the next few weeks. I can't decide if I should just get something like an Endura Roubaix LS Jersey to wear over my baselayre and arm warmers, and still use my gilet, or if a windproof jacket would be a better option... I wore my high vis coat last year but it was so sweaty and cold if I stopped for long. My gilet has been a great purchase though so I'd recommend one if you don't already own one.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    you need a jacket and not a jersey, no matter how good it claims to be. Any jersey will not have the insulating qualities needed for winter riding.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Depends how far you go I guess. If you're out for an hour riding fast - you might get by with less.

But basically GM is right - jackets are the way through winter - and I'd always err on the side of caution - its easier to unzip a bit if you get warm rather than magic another layer out of nowhere if you get caught in a snow flurry 40 miles from home.