Jacket or jersey for winter

Burt25
Burt25 Posts: 117
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I currently have a castelli long sleeve jersey (fleecy inside) which I wear with a castelli short sleeve base layer and castelli nano flex arm warmers, but I'm finding that I'm a bit on the cold side. I've been looking at jackets, but i am reluctant to spend £150+ (which seems to be the starting point for most of the decent stuff) Do I need a jacket to get decent warmth (I don't generally go out if it below 5 degrees of wet) or would I be able to get a solution by layering up more with my existing gear (I'm thinking about an icebreaker merino wool long sleeve base layer)? Thanks

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    You can layer on top with a windproof layer - like a Gilet, or packable windproof jacket.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    +1. Or, you even put a packable type jacket under your LS jersey. It can get a bit sweaty (depending on what base layers you're wearing) but it avoids flappy jacket syndrome, and no one wants that!
  • Assos 851. It seems expensive, but after 4 winters is still in near new conditions. Most importantly it ticks all the boxes... think of a box, it ticks it

1) Warm (down to 0 degrees with only a merino base layer)
    2) Windproof
    3) Light Shower resistant
    4) Nice big zip that you can do and undo even with winter gloves and lasts for years
    5) 4 large elasticated pockets at the rear
    6) Nice fit when leaning over the bars (as opposed to nice fit when you are walking around)
    7) Looks ace

See if you find one on offer
    left the forum March 2023
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    +1 what ugo said. I was out this morning and even though the sun was shining some of my group were really feeling the cold. The 851 has windblock on arms and front which for me makes a huge difference to keeping a reasonable body temperature. The back is a wicking material which helps get rid of perspiration. All round fantastic jacket and top of my winter riding needs list!

Peter
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    edited November 2013
    +2. Great jacket.

where I am struggling at the moment is something for the in between conditions where the Airjack is too warm and the long sleeve jersey+baselayer approach is not warm enough. around the 7-10degC range. Haven't quite cracked that yet.

Because I ride in the hills, I get warm and sweaty on the climbs (30min duration) and on cold days the chill gets right through you on descents because you are wet with sweat. A lightweight shell for the descents helps but not perfect either.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Whist I'm sure the Asos is ace I have a mavic echappee and it covers me from -5 to 12 degree thanks to the very handy arm vents.
  • I just got an Endura Windchill 2 and while its certainly not got Assos cache it does have windproof front and arms and Roubaix back, pockets and pit zips and works really well. Yes if I had loads I may buy Assos but there are very good alternatives :D
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    iPete wrote:
    Whist I'm sure the Asos is ace I have a mavic echappee and it covers me from -5 to 12 degree thanks to the very handy arm vents.
    +1, does it all, great bit of kit...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Back to the OP's question, if you are planning on doing rides longer than a couple of hours in near-freezing temperatures, then a fleecy-lined windstopper jacket is a good investment. In comparison, a windproof outer layer has poor thermal properties and even the best fabrics will result in some condensation, which makes you damp and cold. Gore fabrics are the best IME - plenty of makes including Gore, Castelli, Sportful, ExteOndo amongst others.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    If the OP is not going out in temps less than 5degrees then I would be looking at a good quality long sleeve merino rich jersey plus a base layer and gilet rather than full on winter jacket (unless is a rider who simply 'potters' along). Even today with temps around 1 to 2 degrees a winter jacket is a bit on the warm side if riding hard.

SV
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd always go with a jacket unless you're doing short rides. The weather can change rapidly in winter and if you're 50 miles from home and it turns cooler - you'd be glad of the extra warmth.

If you get too hot - just undo the zip a bit.
  • Anyone tried one of these?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMTJ/
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    +2. Great jacket.

where I am struggling at the moment is something for the in between conditions where the Airjack is too warm and the long sleeve jersey+baselayer approach is not warm enough. around the 7-10degC range. Haven't quite cracked that yet.
    I use this jacket and I find it great for the conditions you listed (wearing short or thin long sleeve base layer underneath). I also have the AirJack, but found the haBu.5 very versatile. http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduc ... 56&var=589
  • There are tons of these threads, and really people should be stating whether they are naturally warm/cold people.

I went out on sunday (5 - 8degs) in a ss top with arm warmers and leg warmers, but I'm naturally warm so my advice is useless to anyone feels the cold.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Naturally warm?

Do you mean fat?
  • GGBiker wrote:
    Naturally warm?

Do you mean fat?

I think it refers to the concentration of T3 and T4 in his blood stream... so quite the opposite, as high level of tiroxine increases methabolic rate and burns fat.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ha, yeah I'm pretty skinny, think I'm like 70kg. Sunday was my first ride with gloves, and only thin ones at that. My gf's dad on the other hand has been wearing full winter gear for weeks now, 3 top layers, thermal bib tights, thick winter gloves, head band etc. Just pointing out that we all feel the cold differently so recommending a jacket for a particular temperature is hard.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Given a choice a thermal windproof jacket is the best option IMO however given you already have a decent baselayer & l/s jersey and don't want to blow a wad of cash on a new jacket then the suggestion of a windproof gilet or light jacket should give you what you want. It's likely it's just the lack of windproofing currently that's causing you to be cold at the moment, just make sure you get a decent gilet/packable windproof jacket as otherwise they'll turn your current very breathable set-up into a boil-in-the-bag affair which is almost as unpleasant as just being cold.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I see plenty of people riding round with Aldi cycling jackets on. I also see plenty of Assos kit around too.
    I think the differences are mainly in the style. I couldnt tell you if I was wearing my Aldi jacket or my Rapha jacket in a blind test I reckon - but I just look cooler in Rapha. ;-)
  • I have a Castelli thermal jersey and jacket, both in Garmin-Sharp colours. I'm still getting to grips with proper layering as I tend to still think a bit old school and just do "lots of layers for lots of warmth". I went out with an Under Armour base layer, the thermal jersey and the thermal jacket on top in temperatures of 5 or 6 degrees - started out comfortably warm but was way too hot later on!

So I'd recommend both of those. Just leave wearing both together till the depths of winter though!

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Layers are fine. Base layer, jersey, light jacket, windstopper - does pretty much what a jacket does but you have more options for cooling down if temps do rise during the day as thin layers can be stuffed in a pocket. I have a Gore Phantom which is nice but I can easily overheat in it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I agree on the value of layers. It's just taking me a bit of time to work out which of my newer purchases to combine for different conditions! I can probably get by with either the Castelli jersey or jacket with an Aldi merino or Under Armour baselayer, then progress to baselayer plus regular jersey and jacket and only then combine baselayer, thermal jersey & thermal jacket when it's truly Baltic.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • mattgeezer
    mattgeezer Posts: 1,805
    My btwin decathlon winter jacket is ace for commuting! Wear just a basic t shirt underneath at 0 degrees!
    Allez 2013
    Pitch 2011
    GT Moto 2003
  • Burt25
    Guys, thanks for the advice- I'm torn between getting a wind-stopper jacket (Mavic echappee is top of the list) or getting a wind stopper gilet to wear over my normal gear. Any thoughts (I usually run fairly warm, but my current kit just isn't keeping the heat in enough in current temps)
  • I use the Gore Phantom 2.0 jacket and it's great. Just use a long sleeve base layer, ss jersey and the jacket, saw me through all last winter and still in great condition.
  • I got the Mavic Echappee when it was £112 on Winstanleys and that's starting to look like a bargain now, great jacket.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I was poking around the jackets yesterday in a local bike store and the Mavic gear seems like decent stuff. Certainly on a par with the Gore jackets I saw.
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Just bought an Assos BonKa. Replacment for the Airjack 851. It's pricey but excellent. You will have it for years..they retail here in Ireland for €420. On sale here for a lot less.....

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/m428/k ... dkqdpi4ci6
  • Burt25
    Gazmania1 wrote:
    I use the Gore Phantom 2.0 jacket and it's great. Just use a long sleeve base layer, ss jersey and the jacket, saw me through all last winter and still in great condition.

Gazmania- have you had any issues with the zip on the gore jacket? (I've read reviews which say the zip is problematic)
    Also, is this jacket close fitting?