Which clutch mech?

2»

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I've got an x9 type 2. Had it about 2-3 months ... i'm already half way through the life of the rear mech so hey ho.

You expect a mech to last 4-6 months? Wtf? :shock:

I expect it to last a while, earlier posts in the thread suggest they have as short life span

Not that short, surely? Or was your post tongue in cheek, and I missed the joke?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My X7 mechs lasted about 6-8 months and my X0 is loose as a very loose thing after just under a year.
    The bushes in the hanger bolt wear quickly and arent serviceable.
    Shimano mechs last years.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Russyh wrote:
    I use a Bionicon chain guide which was about £30'and works a treat

Notice any extra drag from it?

Not really, I hadn't noticed anything different at all, part from reduction in chain slap and dropping the chain. Nice simple, looks good and cheap. (Kind of)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Briggo wrote:
    Thought about a Bionicon v2 chain guide? Works well for me, reduced slappy slap.

£30 and you don't have to worry about failing clutches.

No, I hadn't. Just googled it. Looks nice and simple (nothing to go wrong), but does it not create drag? It does the same job as a clutch mech re stoppping damn annoying noises on descents?

It certainly helps, if you're going for it you'll always get noise, I doubt a clutch mech eliminates the slap (see SS's comments).

Put it this way it's nowhere near as bad as it was.

I like it, it doesn't create drag and helps with shifting too and I guess it'll allow for any chain stretch upon suspension movement. (I presume a clutch mech reduces the ability to do so)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've got an x9 type 2. Had it about 2-3 months ... i'm already half way through the life of the rear mech so hey ho.

You expect a mech to last 4-6 months? Wtf? :shock:

I expect it to last a while, earlier posts in the thread suggest they have as short life span

Not that short, surely? Or was your post tongue in cheek, and I missed the joke?

Exactly - rockmonkey said they last 6 months. At the end of the day SRAM/Shimano is personal, if you're happy with your X7 at the moment I'd just get a type 2 X7.
  • Do you have neoprene chain stay protector?

Yup.

DSC_8913800x532_zpsc572aff0.jpg
    This bike doesn’t look as though it’s been used to enough to know if it even suffers from chain slap!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Kowalski675
    Russyh wrote:
    Russyh wrote:
    I use a Bionicon chain guide which was about £30'and works a treat

Notice any extra drag from it?

Not really, I hadn't noticed anything different at all, part from reduction in chain slap and dropping the chain. Nice simple, looks good and cheap. (Kind of)

Cheers. Sounds like it might be worth a try. They do look quite trick, and if it stops the noise for £30 it's worth it.
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:
    Exactly - rockmonkey said they last 6 months.

Well, for the mileage and type of riding that I've been doing mine's lasted all summer with zero signs of wear. He must be doing an awful lot of miles, or a lot of abuse to wreck one in 6 months. A new mech every 6 months? That's ridiculous.
  • Kowalski675
    This bike doesn’t look as though it’s been used to enough to know if it even suffers from chain slap!

It hadn't been used when that pic was taken - it was brand new, back at the beginning of July. Still looks that good now though, lol.

141020133419copy_zps3204e380.jpg

Admittedly it has a brand new frame and cranks in this most recent pic, and hasn't been ridden since, lol.
  • Slx clutch mech has eradicated slap from day one not heard a thing. The silence is bliss. :)