chinese bibs/jerseys off ebay

bikemanspen
bikemanspen Posts: 101
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Just wondered what sort of quality theses things are as there cheap as chips! does anyone have any experiences with them they would like to share?

Thanks in advance ben.
Cube agree pro 2013
Trek fuel ex8 2009 (rootbeer)

Comments

• Mixed.

For £35 or what ever they go for, why not get one and see?

I have noticed recently with "thermal cycle jersey" searches that there are loads on eBay of these Chinese kits.

Essentially with cheap chinese thing some stuff is made in the same factory as big brands, some stuff in a dodgy factory. I had a look at some closeups and the stitching looks OK.

I got some thermal leggings of eBay for £18 and they are really really good quality. Basically its some guy who buys in from China and puts his logo on.
    Having run a business online that bought from China I can tell you now that a lot of goods we have overheat are massively marked up. Especially if you want brand names on.

As with anything like that its a risk however.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    In my experience the jerseys are fine.I have a Cpl and no issue at all.I would say that I couldn,t tell the difference between my £69 lbs bought giant official jersey and one I got from china.They are made of same material etc.
    To be fair they are a t shirt with a zip, nothing more.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I bought a set of jersey and bibshorts off ebay from China and they've been an absolute bargain. I've used them a lot and always fround the shorts comfortable. The only problem with mine is the cut on the shorts at the front is a little high and so going for a pee requires partial undressing or some gymnastics. Or possibly good muscle control!
  • Kangarouge wrote:
    I bought a set of jersey and bibshorts off ebay from China and they've been an absolute bargain. I've used them a lot and always fround the shorts comfortable. The only problem with mine is the cut on the shorts at the front is a little high and so going for a pee requires partial undressing or some gymnastics. Or possibly good muscle control!

are they thermal as they describe ? They do seem incredibly cheap for bibs and top - mind you its probably what many others actually cost without the hike.
  • If you buy a full zip jersey from an Asian outlet the sizing can be pretty dire. I wear size 42 in short sleeve or long sleeve jerseys and if I buy the licensed product it will fit me perfectly, the Asian size 42 sticks out in a pronounced point in the tummy area and it looks pretty shoddy to be honest. Add the fact that the zips are really poor quality and I wouldn't be buying Chinese again. One of the best bargains ive picked up are the Deko cycling jerseys sold by rugzone on Ebay, superb fit, superbly made and ive been buying both SS and LS versions and couldn't be happier with them .
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • If you buy a full zip jersey from an Asian outlet the sizing can be pretty dire. I wear size 42 in short sleeve or long sleeve jerseys and if I buy the licensed product it will fit me perfectly, the Asian size 42 sticks out in a pronounced point in the tummy area and it looks pretty shoddy to be honest. Add the fact that the zips are really poor quality and I wouldn't be buying Chinese again. One of the best bargains ive picked up are the Deko cycling jerseys sold by rugzone on Ebay, superb fit, superbly made and ive been buying both SS and LS versions and couldn't be happier with them .

I agree - bought a thermal jersey from a ebay store - it was cut around the middle almost for a fat man. Lots of material and a bulge along the zip. Sent it back and learnt my lesson.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    In my experience the short sleeved jerseys and bib shorts are just as good as any of the budget brands and a lot cheaper. The long sleeve jerseys are a bit baggy but do the job as a mid-layer fine.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    I have both long and short sets and I prefer them to some the cheaper uk stuff I have.
    I will use them next time I want some too.
  • Mine chinese purchases was just a regular short sleeve jersey and bibshorts, not thermal at all, so couldn't comment on their long sleeved winter stuff.
  • Have taken a punt at some Thermal bibs Only option for £22 just to see what they are actually like.....
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Outdoor- ... 3a85611cfa

Was going for the full kit but didn't need it. - Will report back as soon as they arrive! (could be up to 1-2weeks :shock: )
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I agree - bought a thermal jersey from a ebay store - it was cut around the middle almost for a fat man. Lots of material and a bulge along the zip. Sent it back and learnt my lesson.

Judging from you last post, it looks like you haven't!
  • robbo2011 wrote:

Judging from you last post, it looks like you haven't!

hahaha - true. This is more out of curiosity. and for £22 quid and the fact I could do with a second bib I thought why not.

If its shit - then it will eventually become a oil rag.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Between me and my cycling friends, we must have bought over 20 kits from those Chinese sellers, as well as some customised team kits. Can't complain about anything we have received!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Holy sh** !

My Bibs arrived today. ... Very impressed. :shock: Was expecting real crap but they are no different to a £70-100+ bib set.

Quality is good, fit is good (so far) and they look good too. The logo (mine was a SCOTT version) is material not printed too which I was not expecting. I thought they might be some crappy printed/ ironed on logo but its actually coloured stitched fabric detailing.

Padding is the proper coolmax deal too with the right balance of padding instead of the cheap pads that are thin pads all over.

Seriously thinking of buying a couple more kits as they are excellent, cant believe they are so cheap. Wish I got the jersey too now. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Outdoor- ... 3a85611cfa
  • Sounds like a good buy dude :D
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I guess you must be the types to impress your mates with your false Rolex and the missus must be pleased with the knock-off Chanel perfume you buy her? :roll:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    edited December 2013
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I guess you must be the types to impress your mates with your false Rolex and the missus must be pleased with the knock-off Chanel perfume you buy her? :roll:

nope - first "knock off" thing I have ever bought actually :lol: . Strangely I'm totally against and a bit snobbish towards those that buy fake watches, handbags etc. That's why I couldnt quite go for a full on team kits they sell (mind you don't believe in wearing team kit anyway unless you are in the team).

Clothing is different to more complex things like watches and chemistry and hears my take on why...

A lot of premium Cycle gear is a conn IMO. Massively hiked prices fuelled by bullsh** marketing for wafer thin cheap to produce materials. Likes of Rapha etc are a joke IMO.
    I have had kit from Castelli, Scott, Pearl Izumi, DHB, Asics etc over the years (still do) and to be honest its stupid the price you pay for the actual material and quality you get.
    My £35+ Pearl Izumi half finger gloves I bought this summer fell apart in 2 months and the gel padding went flat before then. I sent back a Pearl Izumi Jersey this summer too because the fit was poor and the stitching still had loose threads. I have a DHB Long sleeve at the moment that's really good but I wouldn't rate the stitching for a £50+ product.

So I decided to try out some cheaper stuff from ebay, outlets, Wiggle and Aldi. Admittedly the last cheap buy went back as the fit and zip was real crap.

These bibs however seem great. For something that gets abuse, oil stains and potential rips from crashes - why pay £100-150+ if it does the same thing?

Recently I have gone the same way regarding glasses. I had (before summer) a pretty standard £40 pair of Endura cycle glasses. Bloody drooped them and scratched up the lenses. So I went on eBay and got a smoke and ESP pair Bolle Safety specs for 1/4 the price. Lighter than the Enduras, comfortable and do the exact same thing ! ! - why would I pay £140 for a pair of Rudy's ?

Sometime depending on what it is - money doesn't always guarantee value or quality. Its usually guaranteeing brand marketing and bull.
  • Primus84
    Primus84 Posts: 109
    What's their sizing like? If I'm 5'10ish and a 36inch waist with a 40inch chest what size do I go for? L? XL? XXL?
  • Primus84 wrote:
    What's their sizing like? If I'm 5'10ish and a 36inch waist with a 40inch chest what size do I go for? L? XL? XXL?

I'm about 5'10-11 (178cm? with a 32cm inside leg) and went for Large in the Bibs. I'd say they fit just right for me but wouldn't want to go smaller.

In terms of the tops - no Idea because I didn't get one. I'm 40in too. As a reference however I have a DHB and Pearl Izumi Long sleeve in Medium and a PBK Short sleeve in Small....they are fitted very snug, so as you know things vary. Going off the bibs a Large may be OK however.

Oh in terms of order time it took just under 3 weeks. They dispatched the item on the 25th Nov and it arrived today (5th Dec) But it was about 4-5 days before they dispatch.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Might take a punt on some of these (both top and bibs), thinking medium for me at 5ft 8in, 68-70kg, 38in chest and 30in inside leg....sound about right you think?
    Cheers, Stu
  • duckson wrote:
    Might take a punt on some of these (both top and bibs), thinking medium for me at 5ft 8in, 68-70kg, 38in chest and 30in inside leg....sound about right you think?

looks it.

Think some have mentioned the tops being different in fit to the bibs but I wouldn't say the sizing is way off. Put it this way I have had worse.

Have you checked the measurements for a Medium Jersey?
  • duckson
    36.something in inches in medium and 39.something inches in large, kinda of between both. I'm usually a medium in most clothing except Castelli I buy large.
    Cheers, Stu
  • duckson
    Thought i'd update the thread after i ordered some 'Radioshack' long sleeve top and bibs in medium (my stats are a few posts above) from the seller linked in this thread;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251363835027? ... 1439.l2649

Ordered on the 8th Dec, dispatched on the 12th and arrived on the 28th (not bad considering it was Xmas).
    Material quality is excellent, both top and bib fit is decent on me, higher cut at the front on the top.
    Pad feels a touch big on the bibs and the ankle fit/zip is a bit tight with not alot of stretch if i'm being picky.
    I have yet to ride with the kit though, the pad might compress a bit with use and washing.

For £34 though at the moment I think they are a bargain.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Thanks for the review I've just ordered the castelli!
    Hope it fits ;)
    Cube agree pro 2013
    Trek fuel ex8 2009 (rootbeer)
  • A bit confused about the 'anke zip/fit' on a long sleeved top and bibshorts.
  • duckson
    Kangarouge wrote:
    A bit confused about the 'anke zip/fit' on a long sleeved top and bibshorts.

Where did i write bibshorts? They are bib longs.

PS the zip does lock so no chance of it coming undone.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Sorry, my fault. I forgot to open the link. I'm not well at the moment after falling off on the ice yesterday; evidently it shows.
    Buying cheap imitation copies from a Chinese trader leaves me with no guilt whatsoever. Presumably it's the same for the large companies who make heavy profits from intense and effective marketing at our expense. One might think they'd be grateful for the extra advertising.
  • My Scott kit is doing well. Wish I went with the top too. As mentioned above they are tight around the ankles when putting them on so must fully unzip the legs. No complaints regarding the pad, I find it really comfortable.

What's the fit like regarding the tops? If you go for the recommended size.. Is that correct?-my bibs were but did see some reviews saying the top wasnt as accurate regarding size?
  • duckson
    No probs Kangarouge, hope you're not too badly hurt! :(

Rick, the medium top fits me pretty well given my stats, no real complaints for the money fit wise, hopefully that wont change when i've ridden with it. The material feels nice to the touch and the zip is ok, neck fit is good for me as well as i've had tops that are too tight around the neck in the past but fit well on the body/arms.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    The stuff looks pretty good. I had vowed not to buy any chinese stuff again as the fit isnt generally as good but as those prices I am tempted. The Columbia strip looks tempting (Wilier). Also quite like Belkin bit would clash with my bikes!!!