light weight mtb hard tail frames

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Must be a fairly new frame then, you can get the tapered to straight crown adaptors on ebay for not much money.

Depends what standard BB it uses, but again you can get adaptors for most sizes to fit the Deore cranks.

Of course as a frame typically weighs about 2Kg (ally) comparing the circa 12-14Kg weights of built bikes doesn't really help tell you the frame weight! On my lightweight Carrera the rest of the bike weighed 7.9Kg to the frames 1735g.

Seat tube will be 31.6mm ID and 34.9mm OD I believe.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Antm81 wrote:
    Presuming the BB is still in I'd knock it out and fit a shimano one, its highly likely the have one for that standard and unlikely to cost much more yet will be a much better fit for the cranks.

The frame doesn't include a bb or headset so that's where the extra cost is going to come from. the seller has an adapter for the frame to fit Shimano cranks I'll see if they will include it or not.
    The Rookie wrote:
    Must be a fairly new frame then, you can get the tapered to straight crown adaptors on ebay for not much money.

Depends what standard BB it uses, but again you can get adaptors for most sizes to fit the Deore cranks.

Of course as a frame typically weighs about 2Kg (ally) comparing the circa 12-14Kg weights of built bikes doesn't really help tell you the frame weight! On my lightweight Carrera the rest of the bike weighed 7.9Kg to the frames 1735g.

Seat tube will be 31.6mm ID and 34.9mm OD I believe.

I'm not sure what year the frame is as I'll ask the seller as the Boardman website isn't helpful for previous year bike info.

headset wise I was looking at hope pick n mix as I will need the full headset and the shim is about 8quid extra.

I suspect bb30 which is what 68/73mm shell need to measure that but can look and price up, I have seen a race face x type bb30 for Shimano cranks but again pricey at 40 odd pound, I've just recently fitted new chain rings so I'd like to avoid more costs and use everything I can.
  • The Rookie
    I wouldn't spend out on a Hope headset!

Personally I'd fit the headset for tapered forks, that way if you want to change forks in a year or two you won't be buying another new headset!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    I wouldn't spend out on a Hope headset!

Personally I'd fit the headset for tapered forks, that way if you want to change forks in a year or two you won't be buying another new headset!

That's what I'm going to do as I suspect my 100mm travel reba's maybe too short for the frame and that it is designed for 120mm forks? at least I can try them out for a while.

The hope adapter shim fits to the fork before you put the crown race on so that if I wanted to change to tapered forks I could and I wouldn't need to buy another headset.

Which other headset brands would you recommend as I'd like to save money where I can and not spend if I don't need to.
  • Sharky999
    Sharky999 Posts: 103
    Great thread, Ive just retired a carbon full sus through damage, currently have a complete xtr groupset with 26" xtr wheels and a host of carbon bits that are sitting about.

anyone care to offer advice on a frame i could set this up with, looking at a HT as i now have a new FS. Ive been scouring the net but not sure what to choose. Have to be honest and say budget is 250 max

Cheers.

M
  • The Rookie
    Have a look at the on-one headset offerings.

When you said you were getting a Hope P n M I assumed you meant you were getting a lower to fit direct with straight steerer into tapered frame.

Yes the Boardman is set up for 120mm, you may find you can increase the travel on the Reba's, or they may not be able to, depends on the year and what parts it has, I upped the travel on my daughters Recon XC (same chassis as a circa 2009 Reba) for free with a tube cutter by shortening the guide sleeve.

Sharky, may be best to start your own thread to prevent confusion, but depending on budget I'f look at a Chinese carbon frame first.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Have a look at the on-one headset offerings.
    When you said you were getting a Hope P n M I assumed you meant you were getting a lower to fit direct with straight steerer into tapered frame.
    I would be buying the tapered headset but then buy the "Hope Headset Crown Race Reducer - 1.5" Headset to 1 1/8" Fork" to use alongside it, this is what I would need or something similar?
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes the Boardman is set up for 120mm, you may find you can increase the travel on the Reba's, or they may not be able to, depends on the year and what parts it has, I upped the travel on my daughters Recon XC (same chassis as a circa 2009 Reba) for free with a tube cutter by shortening the guide sleeve.

Its all starting to get expensive this frame swap as eventually I would like to use 120mm forks with 15mm maxle but then would need a new wheel.

I'm not in any rush to get this built up so I can take time and keep a look out for any bargains on the bits I'll need.

cheers for the help so far.
  • The Rookie
    Yes that is what you need, like I say a similar enlarger can be found on ebay much cheaper (I don't like reduced as it enlarges the steerer to take the crown race, it doesn't reduce anything!), you could save money by using your old upper headset bearing and just buying the lower.

If your Reba will go to 120mm, it's almost a free job, so in the short term a 'no brainer'.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes that is what you need, like I say a similar enlarger can be found on ebay much cheaper (I don't like reduced as it enlarges the steerer to take the crown race, it doesn't reduce anything!), you could save money by using your old upper headset bearing and just buying the lower.

If your Reba will go to 120mm, it's almost a free job, so in the short term a 'no brainer'.

I didn't think of reusing the headset bearing out of the trek frame would have to double check the sizing to be sure.

I don't have the rebas on my bike at the moment so I could check them, how would I know if they could go to 120mm?

The seller has given me some info about the frame 2012 model but not 100% on that, bb30, tapered headset 1.5 to 1 1/8, seatpost 31.6mm so reckon seat clamp be about 34.9, already got a shiny hope one in my spare bits.

So think I'll need to buy just the following bits n pieces
    headset
    bb30 to 24mm shimano adapter thingy
    outer gear wire casing

I don't think I will need anything else.
  • The Rookie
    If its a ZS44 (Semi integrated, otherwise known as Zero Stack (although it still has some stack height!) or 44mm) upper it will be usable as the Boardman upper, not sure if anyone does a frame insert to fit a ZS44 into a tapered frame, but that would mean you could reuse the lower as well.

You would have to split the lowers off, check the stanchions are long enough and see if it has a travel reducer on it or if the guidesleeve can be shortened, would help to know what age your Reba's are, single or dual air?

It will be a 34.9mm clamp, but I wouldn't use a hope (QR, bolted are OK), they are cr@p, if it's in decent nick sell it and get a better one for about the same money! You can shim the seatpost size you have if needed, a shim will cost about £5.

Your front mech may not fit, what clamp size is yours and is it top or bottom pull (From memory the Boardman are bottom pull), you may also need a BB shell cable guide if that has been removed (about £3.50).
  • swod1
    headset on my trek is semi integrated and I think 44mm never measured this.

The reba forks are 2013 model and are single air.

The hope seat clamp I have in my spares box is bolted, the seat post on my trek is 31.6mm so should fit fine.

The front mech is top pull I think but I'm thinking of getting rid and running a 34t n/w single ring.
  • The Rookie
    1x will sort the front mech out.

I believe with the 2013 you can only adjust travel if it has a travel spacer, it's about a 15 minute job to pull the lowers off and see if it has, remove (or not) and refit, so well worth finding out.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    If it's the new solo air then travel spacers can't be used, you'll need a new air shaft, easy job to do though. As Rookie said best bet is to strip them down to check but not sure if you'll be able to tell and I'm unsure if the new solo air as they called it started in 2013 or 14.
  • The Rookie
    Your right, a genuine 2013 (check to make sure it is a 2013) needs a new air spring (thought they aren't that expensive).
    http://dcrowerowe.pl/pobieralnia/instru ... eba_EN.pdf page 10.
  • swod1
    I’ve got the boardman frame, it arrived yesterday.

Not weighed it yet but its so light and in really good condition, has bb shell cable guide on it.

Headset wise not sure what to buy for it as its already got tapered cups built into the frame so i couldnt use a hope pick n mix.

Seems boardman use a FSA Orbit C-40 ACB/Industrial 1.1/8" to 1.1/2" Tapered - Integrated on there highend bikes so been looking at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... prod84328# this should fit will double check size to be sure.

Front mech will need another, theres two bolt mounting holes above the bb is this a direct mount type?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    swod1 wrote:
    Front mech will need another, theres two bolt mounting holes above the bb is this a direct mount type?

The direct mount I've used uses one bolt and a straight groove to aid location. Without seeing a picture of yours but after a quick google it sounds like it's for an e-mount with the BB fitment removed.

From here http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/anyon ... 05622.html
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    swod1 wrote:

Have you got a picture of it? It's difficult to tell from your description, mainly due to the masses of different types of derailleur out there..

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie