Another switching from hybrid to road bike

2»

Comments

• I changed from hybrid to Road bike about 18 months ago. First you have to get used to the more lent forward position, it's scary at the beginning...

Second, I went a few times (mostly by mistake) on trails and gravel path, these are horrible on a road bike with skinny and smooth tyres. You will go a lot slower with a road bike on these! Well, I never tried but I guess with more appropriate tyres you would be fine.

My advice would be, you want to ride trails, don't buy a road bike... Road ride are good for roads,not good for other uses! Or maybe CX, I have never tried those, reckon it might be fine for you?
  • You've kind of lost me a bit. I'm not interested in time trials. I just want to go further and faster.

Thanks for the advice bobo, I definitely need some road riding course or something and get some experience of road riding before deciding I think.
  • Hi Jo

Go for it. You won't regret it.

You'll soon get used to cycling on the roads - start by cycling at the quiter times of day and on the quiter roads and lanes if you can to build your confidence and improve your cycling skills. Wear bright gear and use your lights to be and feel seen and safe. Are you able to choose routes on roads which avoid big roundabouts and other cycling hazards?

No need for exposed tight Lycra either. Padded shorts are a must and proper cycling jerseys, jackets highly recommended but they don't need to be ultra tight fitting and there are decent mountain bike clothes available if you prefer. Get to the Lidl and Aldi Cycle Gear Sales when they're on for some decent stuff at low prices.

I switched my picnic hamper (not quite) on my hybrid to a seat post bag on my road bike. I can easily carry all I need in this small bag and in jersey pockets - spare tube, multi tool, tyre levers, mobile, keys, cereal bars, rain jacket, cash etc. to do 40 and 50 mile rides.

A road bike is a great choice if you want to improve your health and fitness.

Good luck.
  • akc42
    akc42 Posts: 43
    scaryfeet wrote:
    Are energy gels a worthwhile investment for those occasions?

I find "oats so simple" breakfast bars are pretty good and cost a lot less.

On my hybrid I found I needed to take these with me on any ride over 35 miles. I have only done one ride over that on the road bike (48 miles) but from the hybrid experience I started the first bar after 1hr 30 minutes and had another every 45 minutes or so. Got me round the course (which included Leith Hill and Box Hill) in just under 4 hours.
  • scaryfeet wrote:
    You've kind of lost me a bit. I'm not interested in time trials. I just want to go further and faster.

I don't think anyone is particularly suggesting that you are. You want to go further and faster; the principles are much the same, whether you choose to put a number on your back or not.

As for energy gels, they are a convenience food. You can use them if you want to, but a piece of flapjack or a jam sandwich will be just as good for your purposes. You shouldn't be needing much (if at all) anyway until you get into serious distances, as long as you eat sensible meals and keep hydrated.
  • The ideal of gels is that they are easy to eat and digest while still cycling. Personally I take a cereal bar and eat it while stopped admiring the view.

Or more recently when it's been cold, while sat in a cafe :D