Dissertation Survey

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    It can be rough asking anything on a forum, this one's no different I'm afraid mate, good on you for giving it a go though and hope your dissertation goes well, currently doing mine on the techniques used by advertisers in the cycle industry :)

Fwiw last time I did a survey online and asked for feedback I got more useful feedback from the yankees over on mtbr.com astonishingly!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    lawman wrote:
    So one student who struggles with grammar is enough reason to say the education is farked?

If only it was one, rather than the vast majority, and I think you'll find that the dumbing down of the education system is down to younger people - older teachers are horrified by it. Just as university lecturers are constantly horrified by the standards of the students that they have to spend the first year of the course bringing up to the minimum standard they should've been at when they left school, and that's just in their particular subject - most of them have the standard of literacy they should've had by the time they were 11... :roll:
  • Kowalski675
    lawman wrote:
    an older generation of people, most of whom seemingly think they know all there is to know

That's hilariously ironic, coming from a student. :lol::wink:
  • @lawman,
    Cheers, that sounds really interesting. Yeah it is really difficult but from the data i have collected and the research it seems to be progressing well, its just a shame that a select few have the need to either 'troll' or be totally useless, when its something serious that could obviously need some work on. Good luck with yours, and i perhaps might try mtbr, thanks.
  • Kowalski675
    geeofcrazy wrote:
    @lawman,
    when its something serious that could obviously need some work on

The survey, or your literacy? :lol::wink:
  • geeofcrazy wrote:
    @lawman,
    when its something serious that could obviously need some work on

The survey, or your literacy? :lol::wink:

Hilarious,

I was talking about the dissertation as a project, it is after all a progressive piece of work. Its changing all the time, being edited etc.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    So one student who struggles with grammar is enough reason to say the education is farked?

If only it was one, rather than the vast majority, and I think you'll find that the dumbing down of the education system is down to younger people - older teachers are horrified by it. Just as university lecturers are constantly horrified by the standards of the students that they have to spend the first year of the course bringing up to the minimum standard they should've been at when they left school, and that's just in their particular subject - most of them have the standard of literacy they should've had by the time they were 11... :roll:

The issue is the education system itself, which sure as hell isn't run by students! Typical middle-age response, blame the kids, the young, the students. Half the reason why this country is in the mess it's in is because people always blame somebody else and nothing is ever done about it. When half the teachers in the country are on strike over pay and spend half the year on holiday, it's easy to see where things are going wrong and that's before we get to our joke of a government. Sweeping statements that young people are stupid are just showing how arrogant and blind the older generations are.
  • Kowalski675
    :wink:
    lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

The issue is the education system itself,

Which is what I said. Try actually reading what I posted, rather than just blindly and arrogantly seeing what you want to see, to fit your agenda... Typical student - just out of school, barely out of short trousers, but think they know it all, and nobody can teach them anything lol... :lol:
  • lawman
    :wink:
    lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

The issue is the education system itself,

Which is what I said. Try actually reading what I posted, rather than just blindly and arrogantly seeing what you want to see, to fit your agenda... Typical student - just out of school, barely out of short trousers, but think they know it all, and nobody can teach them anything lol... :lol:

All your post does is allude to all being dumb as fuck and not able to count to potato, the only point you mention the education system is in saying it's the younger people who are causing the issue. My point was the education system is being run by a bunch of muppets who are certainly not teenagers or students. Not trying to fit my agenda at all. If anything you've twisted my post for your own in order to make young people look thick... In no way am I claiming to know it all, but what I do know is that young people have a much lesser impact on this country than the so called "adults" (read, Clowns) who run this country do.
  • Kowalski675
    Students. Don't you just love 'em, lol. Don't worry - when you get a bit older you'll have that epiphany moment all ex students have when they realise what a bit of a dick they were, back when they were a student... :lol::wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or to put it another way, don't worry, one day you too will be your dad.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    Or to put it another way, I'll never become a cunt like Cooldad.
  • cooldad
    Never say never. I said the same thing when I was young and stupid like you.
    Now I'm older, wiser and mellow.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Never say never. I said the same thing when I was young and stupid like you.
    Now I'm older, wiser and mellow.

:lol:
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    geeofcrazy wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Mod Edit: - Post Removed

Sorry, well how was i supposed to know, maybe just dont comment like that in the first place?

Well thats uncalled for, im in physical shock that you could swoop that low, not very polite.

ha ha, I've received a warning for that post :lol:

it wasn't very polite, you're right. but neither were your responses to people pointing out flaws in your original post.

I answered your survey and I did read your original post (which was edited after I read it might I add) and I genuinely did want to know what you were trying to achieve with the survey.

I think some one else had said to grow a thicker skin, it's a big bad world out there kid :roll:
  • I would have filled in your survey without any fuss but alas I don't live in London but I do wish you lots of future success
  • welshkev wrote:
    geeofcrazy wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Mod Edit: - Post Removed

Sorry, well how was i supposed to know, maybe just dont comment like that in the first place?

Well thats uncalled for, im in physical shock that you could swoop that low, not very polite.

ha ha, I've received a warning for that post :lol:

it wasn't very polite, you're right. but neither were your responses to people pointing out flaws in your original post.

I answered your survey and I did read your original post (which was edited after I read it might I add) and I genuinely did want to know what you were trying to achieve with the survey.

I think some one else had said to grow a thicker skin, it's a big bad world out there kid :roll:

True true, maybe my initial reaction was bad, but i never swore at anyone nor react in the manner you did towards me, which is why i reported you.

Its all water under the bridge now. Maybe once I finish this work I will post something to see how it's progressed if anyone is genuinely interested in that idea.
  • People who report posts need to grow a pair or do one.
  • Kowalski675
    welshkev wrote:
    it's a big bad world out there kid :roll:

He'll find that out when he leaves uni for the real world, and realises just how worthless most degrees are these days, lol...
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Whether the OP was right or wrong, cut the insults out on here!
  • welshkev wrote:

He'll find that out when he leaves uni for the real world, and realises just how worthless most degrees are these days, lol...

what would you class as a worthless degree? just out of curiosity
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Kowalski675
    rgliniany wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

what would you class as a worthless degree? just out of curiosity

Most of them these days, unless it's a 1st in a good degree from a good university (not one that used to be a swimming pool or Wetherspoons or something)...
  • What's a good one? What do you have from where ?
  • Kowalski675
    What's a good one?

Proper degrees, not the mickey mouse subjects most students do these days.
    What do you have from where ?

None of your business, lol.
  • welshkev
    just for balance, I didn't go to university and left school at 16 with 5 GCSE's and i'm doing alright for myself.

bloody students :wink:
  • cooldad
    welshkev wrote:
    just for balance, I didn't go to university and left school at 16 with 5 GCSE's and i'm doing alright for myself.

Just for balance, I have a masters degree, and so am much cleverererer than you.
    I even learnt to use BIG letters.

Bloody idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Just for balance, I have a masters degree, and so am much cleverererer than you.

Bloody idiot.
    Presumably you'll be studying the apostrophe when you begin your PhD?

I have a master's degree also. I hold a Master of Chemistry degree.
  • cooldad
    Yep, mine is obviously one of those useless, Mickey Mouse (see BIG letters) degrees.
    Yours is more useful as you can make designer drugs and things.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • welshkev
    BigAl wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Bloody idiot.
    Presumably you'll be studying the apostrophe when you begin your PhD?

I have a master's degree also. I hold a Master of Chemistry degree.

yep, that apostrophe is bloody hard to earn!!

I have no problem with degrees or students for that matter (hence the winky face)

it was just to point out that not everyone needs a degree to succeed in life.
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Yep, mine is obviously one of those useless, Mickey Mouse (see BIG letters) degrees.
    Yours is more useful as you can make designer drugs and things.

Your use of upper case is incorrect there, since I was using "mickey mouse" as a colloquial adjective, rather than a proper noun.

If you're gonna try to be a smartarse pedant then try do it right - that way you'll avoid making quite such an arse of yourself, lol... :lol:
This discussion has been closed.