Dissertation Survey

geeofcrazy
geeofcrazy Posts: 19
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Hello all,

My name is George and I'm a geography student at Staffordshire university, im in my final year and am writing my dissertation, the title for this paper is ' An investigation to explore the challenges for cycling as a sustainable form of transport within the city of london, United Kindom'

With these running themes throughout the work.
1) Is the number of cyclists increasing in London?
2) What do cyclists/Potential cyclists regard as the drives and barriers towards cycling within the city?
3) How successful have recent schemes been in regards to the number of people cycling today?

The overall aim of this survey is based on cyclists perceptions towards cycling, why people choose to do so, wether or not cycling is becoming more popular, and why you decide to get on the bike.

Even if you dont ride in london, but have done so in the past please try and answer some questions, the more feedback the better, many thanks.

*As many of you have stated, the link didnt work, here is an updated link, which works. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Q0YocH ... M/viewform

If you have any questions, send me a message and il try my best to answer and issues, or feedback that you may want to give. Cheers all!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you can't be bothered to check spelling, capitalisation and grammar, I'm out before you start.
    Especially if you can't even be arsed to check your link.

Hint - it's broken.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Another lazy student wanting everyone to do his work for him, lol...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Another badly written post by a student wanting a ill thought out survey completed.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I'd have filled it in if I could get onto it...
  • Kowalski675
    ej2320 wrote:

Bet you say that to all the big girls...
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:

Hahaha, set myself up for that one :)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868

If he was lazy he'd have made up some answers to his questions and wouldn't have bothered asking you to do it :roll: can't really do something like this at dissertation level if you don't have the thoughts and opinions of people.
  • Kowalski675
    ej2320 wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

Hahaha, set myself up for that one :)

That's what she said too.
  • Kowalski675
    lawman wrote:

If he was lazy he'd have made up some answers to his questions and wouldn't have bothered asking you to do it :roll: can't really do something like this at dissertation level if you don't have the thoughts and opinions of people.

Don't they just give degree certificates free in Cornflakes packets these days?...
  • As an ex geography student I would certainly have looked at it if I could have done.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Agreed. I'd do it if the link worked.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yet another person who copies and pastes text from another forum including the truncated URL, so we were even first choice!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    He’s also got it in Commuting – the link works there but the survey is rubbish.
    And Road, but doesn't work there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    Doesn't work for me, even over there.
  • cooldad
    There you go, as I sense your desperation.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Rubbish survey though, eg
    Have you ever had an accident through the city?

I don't blame the city, I blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • geeofcrazy
    geeofcrazy Posts: 19
    edited November 2013
    Hello all
    Wow, so many comments, i really had no idea that my work would stir up such a fuss!!

First off, well some of your comments arnt very nice, im sorry about the way you feel, My dissertation is a learning curve, please remember this, in terms of me being lazy, a very inaccurate representation.
    The reason my survey is short, or simple is purely because while conducting my pilot study over the summer, it was too long for people to answer, especially if they were busy. I stoody around for hours, asking people, often getting ignored, so i made this survey, its quick, simple and well from the amount of responses its working well.

I have fixed the link, so hopefully no issues there, Also, me posting it on commuting and road, is that really an issue for you guys?
    My main issue here though are your comments @CoolDad,
    Very unhelpful, if you had an issue, why not send me a message instead of stiring it up and making me feel terrible about my work.

I find it very bizare how some of you are commenting, on possibly something you have never done, this is my first degree and im trying my best to do something im interested in, so if you have comments, please keep them to yourselves if they are negative, if not, well give me some positive critisim, also my english grammar isnt my strongestt point, so im sorry about that, and of course over the time while writing my dissertation i will proof read.

Thanks,
    heres the link: Hope it works!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I hope your degree isn't in English!!

oh, and nice way to get potential people to fill in your survey....as the dragons say, i'm out.

Edit* I did actually fill it out. what are you trying to achieve though?
  • njee20
    There you go, as I sense your desperation

Still doesn't work, not desperate, but like I say I'd have done it, don't really see why folk should waste years of their lives here in order to give their research some credence. That said as I've not seen it it's probably a moot point!
  • welshkev wrote:
    I hope your degree isn't in English!!

oh, and nice way to get potential people to fill in your survey....as the dragons say, i'm out.

Edit* I did actually fill it out. what are you trying to achieve though?

If you had read my title, then you'd understand my degree isnt in english.. geography in fact. So dont slate me for my errors, when youve made a fundamental one also.

And in terms of what i want to gain? Once again, read my first post,

I want to get peoples perceptions towards cycling as a whole, so, safety, how much they spend, how popular it is, what categories/disiplines people prefer etc etcc

Thank you for your comments
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Mod Edit: - Post Removed
  • Completed. A couple of positive criticims.

Don't really see it as being London focussed.Are you also not at risk of compiling data based on responses from non Londoners .that's one of the first things that occured to me
    Your grammar really does need work . ( I did a geography degree with a dissertation about a proposed pedestrianisation, that was 1982 and my brother used it as a teaching resource )

Finally I don't really see the harm in canvassing cycling fora. My thesis pre dated the internet and involved random sampling and face to face to face interviews around the town . Data was then used to try and predict shopping patterns based around the central place theory.

Anyway good luck in your studies.

Just wonder how you will present data .
  • welshkev wrote:

Sorry, well how was i supposed to know, maybe just dont comment like that in the first place?

Well thats uncalled for, im in physical shock that you could swoop that low, not very polite.
  • Re: Dissertation Survey
    by RockmonkeySC » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:02 pm
    Another badly written post by a student wanting a ill thought out survey completed.

Surely that should read "...an ill thought out..." - just a thought being that the comment was about things being badly written
  • Kowalski675
    geeofcrazy wrote:
    Hello all
    Wow, so many comments, i really had no idea that my work would stir up such a fuss!!

First off, well some of your comments arnt very nice, im sorry about the way you feel, My dissertation is a learning curve, please remember this, in terms of me being lazy, a very inaccurate representation.
    The reason my survey is short, or simple is purely because while conducting my pilot study over the summer, it was too long for people to answer, especially if they were busy. I stoody around for hours, asking people, often getting ignored, so i made this survey, its quick, simple and well from the amount of responses its working well.

I have fixed the link, so hopefully no issues there, Also, me posting it on commuting and road, is that really an issue for you guys?
    Very unhelpful, if you had an issue, why not send me a message instead of stiring it up and making me feel terrible about my work.

I find it very bizare how some of you are commenting, on possibly something you have never done, this is my first degree and im trying my best to do something im interested in, so if you have comments, please keep them to yourselves if they are negative, if not, well give me some positive critisim, also my english grammar isnt my strongestt point, so im sorry about that, and of course over the time while writing my dissertation i will proof read.

Jesus H Christ. How did we get to the point where degree students can't even manage basic literacy? The education system really is f****d. :(
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    geeofcrazy wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Sorry, well how was i supposed to know, maybe just dont comment like that in the first place?

Well thats uncalled for, im in physical shock that you could swoop that low, not very polite.

No, not very polite. But this is a forum (and he's from Wales). Post rubbish at your peril

You need to grow a thicker skin as well as working on your grammar.

As for Cooldad; he is indeed rather blunt. But I think you'll find what he said was accurate.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    geeofcrazy wrote:
    Hello all

Jesus H Christ. How did we get to the point where degree students can't even manage basic literacy? The education system really is f****d. :(

So one student who struggles with grammar is enough reason to say the education is fucked? :roll: Not everybody is a genius, and surely the fact some people is due to the people who teach, I.e an older generation of people, most of whom seemingly think they know all there is to know. If anything if anyone is too blame for the way this country is, it's people of an older generation.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Google forms appears to allow you to submit lots of times. That's surely a flaw, isn't it?
  • ej2320
    I filled it in, being a student I understand how hard it is to get people to fill out surveys
  • Well this has gotten a little out of hand...Sad really as all I’m after is some feedback on a project I’m working on. Like I’ve said I apologise for my poor grammar, it’s not my strongest area.

I do have a thick skin; I find it hilarious how some of you are reacting. The whole point of this exercise was to get responses on my survey. Not for you to slate my grammar, which actually is fine when I choose to write, don’t generalise my grammar from a forum, yes its serious and I make typos but who doesn’t, lighten up please?

Thank you to those of you that are keeping to the topic, and I appreciate your feedback, but for those who are being so negative, why don’t you suggest ways in which to help me? Surely that would be more useful to me?
    Once again here is the link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Q0YocH ... M/viewform
    Thank you again, One very confused student who is just looking for some data to compile for his dissertation..
This discussion has been closed.