De Rosa Milanino

gmb
gmb Posts: 456
edited January 2015 in Your road bikes
This is my new De Rosa Milanino which I bought from Evans (the last one in stock) for £1,500.00.

It has a full Veloce groupset (which I will be upgrading bit by bit as funds allow) and I've added my wheels I got from carbonzone. The bike originally came with white tape/hoods and a white prologo kappa saddle. I've lowered the bars but haven't cut the stem yet until I'm happy with the position.

IMG-20131103-00148.jpg

Sorry for the poor photo - I'll post some decent ones later and thanks to all for the advice in the thread I post in the road buying advice section about this bike.
Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    That looks fantastic! Good effort :o
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Lovely looking. How do wheels ride?
  • OOOOoooophh! That's a thing of loveliness and no mistake............. :shock:
  • Lovely bike. Looks really classic.

I'm not usually OCD about bike pics BUT the bike is so nice that it deserved a pic in the big ring.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Very nice. :)
  • Ansome, very ansome!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • I like that...... :D
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    looks fantastic
  • Lovely bike. I couldn't fault my Carbonzone wheels, true out of the box in all aspects. Were great until I was led into a pothole and they died.

Good call on the back to black saddle/bar tape.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I wish I had this bike.

What exactly happened to the wheels? would more 'standard' wheels have survived this pot hole or was it down to Chinese build?
  • That looks really stunning - nice work :)
  • dwanes - the rim walls flared out and split but I believe the same would happen to 'standard' alloy rims but cannot say how bad/repairable they would be.
  • Lovely, classy looking. Jealous.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Slick machine. Nice. Italian Exotica - De Rosa: Still made in Italy?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Slick machine. Nice. Italian Exotica - De Rosa: Still made in Italy?

The aluminium frames are.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • This looks absolutely stunning. Very nice.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    GMB, What wheels are going on it now?
  • pinno
    £1500 is very good value for such a good looking machine and with very good reviews too.

Come on GMB, some decent shots please...

I can't wait any longer:

de-rosa-milanino-2013-road-bike.jpg
  • It is lovely - very cool with the deep rims.
  • Awesome, welocme to club De Rosa :D
  • gmb
    Thanks very much for the kind comments.

I've finally managed to take some photos of the bike (although I didn't have a white garage door to photograph it against - my son's playroom had to do).

This is how the bike looked when I picked it up, save mine had white hoods. I had ordered two sizes into store to try a 54 and a 52. The 52 came with black hoods and the guys at Evans offered to switch them over but thought that they would have to take off the shifters to do so. I explained how it was done and after finding the hoods a bit tight didn't believe me and wouldn't then swap them over. I've ebayed the white ones and replaced them with black ones (without removing the shifters :)

derosa-milanino-01-2013.jpg

Other than the hoods I've also changed the bar tape, cables and saddle. I am waiting for carbon specific brake pads to arrive and also a couple of bottle cages which I've ordered from china. I quite like them as there's not much to them (18g each is the claimed weight). They are 3k carbon weave to match the wheels. I got the two cages plus delivery for £13.80:-

190893441669_1.jpg

Anyway here are some more pics:

SANY0504.jpg

SANY0503.jpg

SANY0505.jpg

SANY0506.jpg

SANY0508.jpg

SANY0507.jpg

Other than the bottle cages and the brake pads I'm pretty much done for now. I would eventually love to add a carbon campagnolo groupset and an unbranded 3k carbon seat post but I will have to see how funds go.

Handlebars : 3T Ergosum Pro
    Stem : 3T Arx Pro
    Seat Post : FSA De Rosa alloy, 27.2mm
    Pedals : Time RXS First
    Lego : Mixture of Sponge Bob and Minecraft

In answer to the questions about the wheels etc.

They are lovely. I got them from Carbonzone last Summer and they were perfect out of the box and I have never had any problems with them. They have a Shimano spline so I've had to buy an Ambrisio 12-25 cassette with Shimano fitting and Campagnolo spacing. It works fine.

I've also got the Fulcrum 7 wheelset which came with the bike which I will use over winter.

• Can you keep us updated on the cages please - that seems a bargain price for a pair.
  • einriba
    einriba Posts: 319
    Loving that bike!
    I had one in blue and loved it - a great ride.

You've got that looking stunning!
    Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning
  • pinno
    Can you keep us updated on the cages please - that seems a bargain price for a pair.

They are not random enough :D
  • Jezzag
    Jezzag Posts: 11
    Welcome to the club. I've had my Milanino a year now. Its stock (with Centaur gruppo) apart from a Charge Spoon saddle (couldn't get along with the pro logo, god I tried). Its a very satisfying ride, always fast and stable. Helps that it looks fantastic too.
  • matig0l
    matig0l Posts: 37
    Hi there,

Just to let you know that your efforts with the Milanino helped inspire me to do something similar. I've been writing a blog about it as I go: http://www.milanino.me.uk

all_components.jpg

I'll get some pictures up once I've assembled it :)
  • gmb
    Lovely!

Can't wait to see this built up.

I love my De Rosa. I worried initially about going from a carbon to alu frame set but it's definitely been worth it.

I have the same pedals as you - they are classed as black. I've always had Shimano pedals but would never go back now. Time are much better on my old knees!

As I said in my original post I would love a carbon crankset and yours looks great. Hurry up and get his built!

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    That looks much better with the black bar tape and saddle.
  • GMB wrote:
    The 52 came with black hoods and the guys at Evans offered to switch them over but thought that they would have to take off the shifters to do so. I explained how it was done and after finding the hoods a bit tight didn't believe me and wouldn't then swap them over.quote]

This part is a joke, no? I thought the staff in Evans in Brighton were idiots but this takes the piss.
  • gmb
    GMB wrote:
    The 52 came with black hoods and the guys at Evans offered to switch them over but thought that they would have to take off the shifters to do so. I explained how it was done and after finding the hoods a bit tight didn't believe me and wouldn't then swap them over.quote]

This part is a joke, no? I thought the staff in Evans in Brighton were idiots but this takes the wee-wee.

No. It's not a joke. I even offered to change them myself in their store. They looked at me as though I'd gone mad. I ended up buying a black set of Campag hoods from Wiggle and selling my white ones on ebay. This still cost me a fee quid but it looks much better IMHO.