2013 Giant trance x3

Comments

• Great looking bike - I hope to be buying a 2013 trance tomorrow

Is yours a large or medium how tall are you ?
  • Subscribed also :)
  • Hi mali01,

Can I ask what hubs you are running now you have upgraded your fork & wheels?

Anything that made you choose them in particular?

Cheers. :)
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    giant have informed me that 140mm is the max for a trance so a trip to my LBS to get forks reduced from 150 to 140 + I think 150mm is to much travel need to keep it balanced, if you need more travel get a reign

Did you get that in writing? I had a similar conversation with rockmonkeysc when I got my trance, he was informed by them that unless you got a frameset or a model that ran that length of fork, i.e. the trance x1, then you would invalidate your warranty. Sounds daft but that's what he said they told him.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    dave1294 wrote:
    Hi mali01,

Can I ask what hubs you are running now you have upgraded your fork & wheels?

Anything that made you choose them in particular?

Cheers. :)

Hi mate.

Im running mavic crossride wheels/hubs. I had to get a new front wheel that would take a 15mm maxle as that was what the new fork took. I only chose them because i got them at a good price and were in stock at my Lbs and needed them quick. I havnt had any regrets so far. But if i could have held out another week i would have got stans Arch on hope pro 2s for sure.
  • Thanks for that.

I'm doing the same as yourself with forks. I also think the bashguard looks good.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    giant have informed me that 140mm is the max for a trance so a trip to my LBS to get forks reduced from 150 to 140 + I think 150mm is to much travel need to keep it balanced, if you need more travel get a reign[/quote?]

Did you get that in writing? I had a similar conversation with rockmonkeysc when I got my trance, he was informed by them that unless you got a frameset or a model that ran that length of fork, i.e. the trance x1, then you would invalidate your warranty. Sounds daft but that's what he said they told him.

That is what the Zero G Giant concept store in Bristol told me. I chose to ignore them and go with a 140mm fork anyway.
    I also fitted a 170mm fork to my Reign X and a 120mm fork on my Anthem. Both invalidated the warranty but rode very nicely.
    These frames are bombproof.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    If you needed to make a warranty claim then you could just refit the original forks before letting the dealer see the bike anyway.
  • 97th choice
    True, and I agree with Rockmonkey...my next upgrade will most likely be a 140mm fork.

But wanted the OP to know that he may get knocked back by giant if he ever wheels his bike in with 140mm forks and a warranty claim.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • all bike manufactures should state the maximum axle to crown length within the warranty really to cover them self s and to help the buyer when upgrading
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • mali01
    Some new shiny bits turned up today which will be the start of my 1x10 conversion.

Just waiting on a new 10speed cassette, KMC chain and RF narrow wide chainring to arrive hopefully by the weekend.

6deb0ac1-d856-43e7-b68a-e8c6d789e432_zps1811e680.jpg
  • 97th choice
    Nice, just ordered a fox 140mm fork for mine.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • After my ride this weekend I should be certain what chain ride I want up front and then ill be ordering the bits I need including one of them see mechs .... Luckily I already have a x 10 shifter of the bike :)

You going 32/34or 36 upfront

Watching with interest
  • mali01
    Im going with a 32t as thats the middle ring already and what i use. my skinny little legs dont have enough meat on them to turn a 36t uphills.
  • 97th choice
    Got 34t on mine and sram x9 type 2, see the link in my sig for pics.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    mali01 wrote:
    Im going with a 32t as thats the middle ring already and what i use. my skinny little legs dont have enough meat on them to turn a 36t uphills.

Hope are launching a 40t cassette adapter very soon.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mali01
    Got 34t on mine and sram x9 type 2, see the link in my sig for pics.

I did have a good look for inspiration. Your Trance is looking very nice, That 140mm fox fork will make a huge difference.
  • Think I will be going 32 too just want to be sure after this weekend
  • Nice, just ordered a fox 140mm fork for mine.
    what forks are you getting you will notice a huge improvement a much better ride

• IMG_12311.jpg

• IMG_12901.jpg

• mali01
    Looking good! Did you get the travel reduced to 140mm on the fork in the end or did you leave it at 150mm?
  • 97th choice
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    what forks are you getting you will notice a huge improvement a much better ride

Got a set of talas 140 fit rlc, so means I can wind the travel down as well.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Noice bike, I love rubber queens :) with all the dish you have you might as well have bought an expensive bike in the first place, but hey
  • mali01
    Cqc wrote:
    Noice bike, I love rubber queens :) with all the dish you have you might as well have bought an expensive bike in the first place, but hey

the initial outlay of a bike cant be hidden from the boss. the bits and bobs that come through the post 'that cost a 5er :) ' can.
  • SUPERSUTT wrote:

Got a set of talas 140 fit rlc, so means I can wind the travel down as well.
    great forks for the trance. I cant believe the difference between fox and entry level rockshox, ive had a few pairs of rockshock forks and much prefer fox any day

• mali01 wrote:
    Looking good! Did you get the travel reduced to 140mm on the fork in the end or did you leave it at 150mm?
    no not yet but will do 150mm is a bit to much

• mali01
    Well the rest of the parts for my 1x10 conversion were waiting for me after getting home from work.

A 32t RF narrow wide chainring and a KMC chain.

built it all up and fine tuned the gears. I needed to shorten the chain by 4 links.
    The XT shifter and ZEE mech feel nice and crisp.
    The Narrow wide chainring is noisier than normal chainrings for sure. I will test it tomorrow and see if i get any drops.

photo20_zps358c2ac0.jpg

photo21_zps5028b8a1.jpg

photo22_zps5c3aad80.jpg
  • Let us know how you get on.

Like yourself I upgraded to 140 sektor fork. Well impressed with the improvement!
  • Looking good