Undetectable strava doping

2»

Comments

• Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    true KOM shouldnt be wind assisted as they should only be a minimum cat 4 climb. whats the point of going for straight speed KOMs ? those are the easiest to get a good time from drafting. bit harder to climb a steeop hill without it just being you vs the incline. sure, hanging onto someines rear wheel is motivation but is not really assisting.
    I don't see any problem with getting a wind assisted KOM, it's not cheating because anyone who is fast enough can always take the KOM with the same conditions.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Realistically it's very sad, you''re better off joining a club and trying to be the best in that. I was put off Strava the minute an old colleague got a KOM on a sector that is perfectly flat on an old MTB and claimed he was fitter than most roadies.

There are too many variables and it is sad.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pross wrote:
    What are these tailwinds of which you all speak? I tend to get headwinds, cross headwinds and (if I'm really lucky) a cross wind but these mythical tailwinds I hear people whisper about in dark corners don't exist in reality do they?
    Beans my boy ... eat more beans!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    On_What wrote:
    Realistically it's very sad, you''re better off joining a club and trying to be the best in that. I was put off Strava the minute an old colleague got a KOM on a sector that is perfectly flat on an old MTB and claimed he was fitter than most roadies.

There are too many variables and it is sad.

Really? You took it seriously?! :roll:
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Cygnus wrote:
    true KOM shouldnt be wind assisted as they should only be a minimum cat 4 climb. whats the point of going for straight speed KOMs ? those are the easiest to get a good time from drafting. bit harder to climb a steeop hill without it just being you vs the incline. sure, hanging onto someines rear wheel is motivation but is not really assisting.
    I don't see any problem with getting a wind assisted KOM, it's not cheating because anyone who is fast enough can always take the KOM with the same conditions.

I was more making the point that I don't see the point of flat speed or downhill KOM times. wirh or without wind, the climbs are going to show your true effort better than the others. Wind can help you on a climb a bit but it aint going to blow you up the hill is it?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    It would be good if Strava could somehow link to a local weather forecast for the day of the ride.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Actually found someone who'd used one of these things the other day "in the wild". I flagged the ride and he's now changed it to a "stationary trainer" activity so you can't see it anymore unfortunately, but basically he'd supposedly gone down the Crow Road in the Campsies at average speeds of 45-60mph, with the fastest speeds appearing at the bottom where there are some rather sharp corners to get around. If he hadn't felt the need to beat the existing times by about a minute it might not have been noticeable, but once you zoomed in on the speed traces you could see a really weird sawtooth type pattern where it'd jump 10-15mph almost instantly, then drop back down again, then jump back up again and just repeat that at almost the same pair of speeds for minutes at a time.
  • Have a look at this segment;

http://www.strava.com/segments/4065505

I'm 2nd to a local Cat 1 racer who I know is quick, quicker than me anyway. But 54km/h uphill? Is that possible?

I know he sometimes goes out and about training behind a scooter, but even so......
  • Have a look at this segment;

http://www.strava.com/segments/4065505

I'm 2nd to a local Cat 1 racer who I know is quick, quicker than me anyway. But 54km/h uphill? Is that possible?

I know he sometimes goes out and about training behind a scooter, but even so......

Possibly behind a scooter, but definitely not a legit one. He starts at 65kmph and never goes below 48! Also estimated power for 1m is over 900 watts which I doubt if any man alive could do

Yep, pretty steamy figures! So looks like definitely not possible unaided, even with a howling wind, but maybe behind a training scooter, or got lucky and picked up a draft from a passing lorry.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    backo wrote:
    the only segments on strava should be climbs hence KOM.

I agree with this

These downhill segments are stupid. Unless its on a mountain bike trail centre
  • ednino wrote:
    backo wrote:
    the only segments on strava should be climbs hence KOM.

I agree with this

These downhill segments are stupid. Unless its on a mountain bike trail centre

Even though I'm no TTer, flats or slight downhills I have no problem with. There are some 5 to 20km flatish segments round here that I like to test myself on, even though I prefer climbing.

KOM is just a name, doesn't have to be a mountain; I doubt most climbs are 'mountains' anyway.

And what about Norfolk? Should all segments there be banned?!
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    very very sad, any competition there's always someone who needs to cheat
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @b ...Hmmm... The guy is clearly no slouch, 4000 at nearly 20 this year and he does claim lots of 30mph stuff. But he doesn't seem to be that good as a hill climber. I looked at one cat 4 at only 11mph. I think the seg you highlight is only 2% so with a raging tailwind it should be possible to blitz it. He hasn't done much recently . That ride he did around a triangle about 40 times is a bit weird... Some kind of local race?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Interesting trace ... His heart rate doesn't rise at all...And he seems to have had a break afterwards, and a few stops around the route!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Mikey23 wrote:
    That ride he did around a triangle about 40 times is a bit weird... Some kind of local race?
    Sounds like a crit(erium)
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    looking at the profile for the segment - is this up some sort of set of steps?
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • Jehannum wrote:
    looking at the profile for the segment - is this up some sort of set of steps?

No, it's just a smooth, constant incline. I guess Strava data is a touch out, but the gradient is correct.
  • the best strava doping cant be bought or seen. Its called gael force winds. ;) Really helps us fattys bag some koms lol
  • Buckie2k5 wrote:
    the best strava doping cant be bought or seen. Its called gael force winds. ;) Really helps us fattys bag some koms lol

helps us skinnies even more!
  • bragawd
    bragawd Posts: 160
    A friend of mine waited for the hurricane last week and then blasted downwind to get a KOM. If it makes him happy then who am I to complain? Many of our local sector KOM's are set by guys who help each other with drafting etc.

Personally, I avoid drafting, big winds and any other factor that might convince me I am getting fitter than I really am. I love Strava. Keeps me motivated to push just that little bit harder every time I climb the hill back up to my house.

I suspect I am like many others though, I ride to impress myself, not to compete. KOM's only last until someone who can really ride turns up and thrashes the time.
    True enough my friend.. I had a few KOM's but they didn't last long. that didn't bother me, I just use strava to see my fitness creeping up by making better times. and share with my buddies, their rides and mine.
  • Pross wrote:
    What are these tailwinds of which you all speak? I tend to get headwinds, cross headwinds and (if I'm really lucky) a cross wind but these mythical tailwinds I hear people whisper about in dark corners don't exist in reality do they?

No such thing as tailwinds, just good legs ;)