How bad does the weather have to be for you to not go biking

Comments

• Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I won't bother if it's raining, if it rains when I'm out I won't mind so much and carry on. My local woods aren't much fun when they get wet, the mud becomes deep and roots (of which there are many) get crazy slippy and riding the trails in that state ruins them for when they dry out.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I will ride in anything if I want to ride.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I will ride in anything if I want to ride.

I'm the same since I got back into mtb'ing. Previously on the roadie unless it was dry I wouldn't head out.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Anything but snow and ice.

Was out in the snow last winter and had to stop as the snow was half way up my wheels.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    When you have a family, you can't be picky. In the winter im lucky if I get out every other week, so I either miss out, or MTFU
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I try and ride whether its raining, snowing or whatever, but a huge problem for me is wind, since I get regular hurricane force winds during winter when I can ride is really limited, so if its no windy or dark (no lights), I'll go out.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I will ride in any conditions. As long as I'm on my bike I'm happy.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Used to ride in any conditions, and i mean that, but these days i'm that bored of cycling that only the best days will see me outside on one.
  • I think you limit the amount of fun you're going to have if you don't ride in certain conditions. Once i get going i usually forget the weather. Could be missing some of the best/adventures/challenging rides by staying in. So man up get out and get mucky. And most of all enjoy :D
  • Like quite a few others if it's raining then I will give it a miss. But if I'm riding and it starts to rain then I don't really have much choice. Last week at bpw it rained pretty much constantly on Sunday but as I'd paid for uplift I wasnt wasting it and it was pretty fun.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Not fond of starting off in the rain but if it starts raining while I'm out I don't mind

Snow/ice great for about 10 mins.

Wind no problem it's sheltered in the trees and elsewhere there will be an awesome tailwind at some point
  • I think too cold is better than too warm as you eventually get warm anyway.

MTB at 25c this year was awesome though, especially in the wind. Dust is much more dangerous than mud I find :oops:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    kammybear wrote:
    I think too cold is better than too warm

Couldn't disagree more, lol.
  • to cold stops me as it freezes my lungs which stops me breathing. the rain would have to be blowing sideways to stop me.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • I don't mind riding in the rain, it's the ground conditions that bother me, clay soil where I live and the mud can be heavy going, if its been wet for a couple of days I'll give it a miss.

I just love cold bright frosty mornings, the ground firms up and if you out early enough you get to break the virgin ice on all the puddles. :D
  • Kowalski675
    Ice? F**k that for a game of soldiers. :lol:
  • Any weather any time just put the right gear on and get some good lights and there what's stoping you :roll:
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    cyd190468 wrote:
    A perspective from a far away land. I do 2 mtb club rides a week plus the occasional extra ride. Hasn't rained on me once so far this year. The thing that has cancelled rides is when the temperature is over 35c before you even start and when all the local trails are on fire. A couple of weeks ago we cut the ride short as the water bombing helicopters were getting a little too close! At the moment we'd pay for rain cause as Northwind mentioned you get to the point where the dust is a problem. If the guy in front of you locks up into a corner you just have no idea where you're going.

Yip, lived in Angola for 3 years and would go MTBing early on a sunday morning before the temperature got up to 35 degress +. After that far too hot. Our usual route was 20km into the brush. Very dusty and it did make seeing the group in front difficult, not to mention the snakes (Black ringed Cobra's and Black Mambas).

I gave up riding that route after a close encounter with a mamba. There are no-air ambulances in Angola, so a snake bite would probably mean death as the nearest hospital was over 2 hours away from our route.

Put a whole perspective on 'snakebite'.
  • Went out and rode Whites Level and W2 last weekend in torrential rain and it was about as windy as I have ever been out. We saw trees falling over to the side of us while we were on the trail. That is as extreme as I'm willing to go though. It was more of a safety than a bearability issue though. If one fell over the trail just in front of you, it could be messy. On the rain front, if you want to go biking in the UK, you're gonna get wet, you're gonna get muddy, you might as well get used to it. That said, if its too cold and icy I usually pu55y out.
  • Heavy rain is a no no for me in the mornings when i cycle to school. Mudguards dont do much good in heavy rain as its the riding into the rain that gets you wet. I dont want to spend the entire day completely dripping from head to toe.

Any other time, i really love riding in the wet. Today was a good day. It started raining just before i left school, and i had no coat as it was warm and dry in the morning. My uniform (which is black) looked like a gimp suit by the time i got home :lol: I didn't care though, since its Friday and my uniform gets washed on Fridays anyway.
  • Kowalski675
    I dont want to spend the entire day completely dripping from head to toe.

Your mum did after I'd finished with her. :wink:

You only wash your uniform once a week? Yuk, lol.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I don't wash any of my suits once a week... I imagine he wears clean shirts.

I'm often surprised how little you actually get wet when it rains. It has to be raining bloody hard to actually make you properly wet.
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:
    I don't wash any of my suits once a week... I imagine he wears clean shirts.

I'd hope so, lol.
  • I change shirt everyday, i change trousers twice a week (sometimes). I obviously have the same blazer (i never wear it anyway, its just in my bag for when the teacher tells that im supposed to wearing it.

I usually get absolutely soaked when cycling in the rain. Unless its very light. Its just the cycling into the rain really. Like when i get home, the front of my trouser legs are fully saturated and the back is mildly damp.
  • Kowalski675
    I obviously have the same blazer (i never wear it anyway, its just in my bag for when the teacher tells that im supposed to wearing it.

You wouldn't have got away with that at my school, lol.
  • Years 7 and 8 was like a uniform nazi camp. Detention for any bit of bad uniform. unbuttoned shirt etc.

But from year 9 onwards its alot more relaxed. 9 onwards is on a different site anyway, so the teachers naturally are more relaxed. You do get the odd teacher who is really strict. Usually you can get away with "ohh, i was just playing football at lunch and im hot, ill put it on when im back in class" or "im going to play football now, ill put it on after lunch". :D

I still have uniform now eventhough im in sixth form, but its sooo relaxed now. I turned up to registration at the end of the day wearing my football kit and my tutor didnt even ask!
  • Kowalski675
    And that tells us a lot about why the education system's so f****d...
  • Which part? The uniform in sixth form bit? (btw when i say relaxed, i mean as in if you have like trainers on, no one cares)
  • Bring on the snow, clean blue sky's and empty trails

7048225967_4e52e95678_z.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    btw when i say relaxed, i mean as in if you have like trainers on, no one cares)

:roll:
This discussion has been closed.