How bad does the weather have to be for you to not go biking

kammybear
kammybear Posts: 500
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Every day I look at the weather forecast and it says rain, rain and more rain.

Sometimes it's just a drizzle yet others its a downpour. Am I being a pussy but giving up at the sight of rain? I'm beginning to think a 30% chance of rain is the max before I'll not bother.

Also, how long till after it's been raining is it worth going out? I usually ride Cannock and last year most of the berms were flooded for a while after raining.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit of a drizzle is OK. Don't like leaving a nice dry house to start in the rain, but if it starts once I'm riding it's no problem.

And I love riding in snow.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    ice and snow

anything else i will ride
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    MTB I don't require much provocation not to ride frankly, I just don't particularly enjoy it when it's really muddy.

Commuting I try and do it whatever if I've planned to in advance. Road riding I don't find too bad in the wet.

Ice is a no though.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I haven't managed to motivate myself to get out there since the weather turned to sh*t. Need some warmer gloves for a start.
  • Ride in anything, enjoy the wet weather makes it more fun and unpredictable. Will only not ride if everywhere is under water. :D
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I think I draw the line when Noah gets his ark out
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    DCR00 wrote:
    ice and snow

anything else i will ride

This, although snow can be fun but ice is a no no
  • ej2320
    I think I draw the line when Noah gets his ark out

This too hahaha
  • ej2320
    Personally the weather doesn't bother me, it's the condition of the trail.. For me I only enjoy it properly in the dry, gets a bit dodgy in the wet and I cant go flat out
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    MTB I'll ride anything as long as it's not raining at the start, if it rains once I'm out there so be it, I quite enjoy the ice/snowy rides it keep you on your toes reaction wise, only thing I hate is wet boggy grass.
    I never take the road bike out in the rain, I really don't enjoy it.
  • cooldad
    ej2320 wrote:
    Personally the weather doesn't bother me, it's the condition of the trail.. For me I only enjoy it properly in the dry, gets a bit dodgy in the wet and I cant go flat out
    ?
    Seriously?
    ?

Think about it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    If its really blowing a Gail or chucking it down bigtime I'll stay at home in the winter. Otherwise I'll go out in most weather.
  • Prefer riding in the rain to baking heat so I prefer winter to summer. Easy to get warm, harder to get cool.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Riding in the rain is a bit of an issue for me as I wear glasses, after a little while it means I can't see, which isn't the best. I tend to not bother if it's chucking it down, but a little rain doesn't bother me too much. And yes, I have tried contacts, couldn't really get on with them. Thus far, the rain hasn't ruined too many of my rides.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    This ride was disrupted slightly by 8 foot deep snowdrifts.

8587571510_c06cc5f2c9_b.jpg
    IMAG0289 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Rain's fine as long as you can see. Wind is the only weather that's a total stopper for me.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Not deep but ran out of trail
    22093_10151344577568774_1580270139_n.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Brrr. God, I hate winter. :( Roll on spring...
  • cooldad
    If I have a choice it would be hot, dry and dusty.
    But it's the wrong bloody country for that.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    I always think I want hot, dry and dusty. Then every year I go on holiday and the dust drives me up the wall. Can't see, can't breathe. It feels kind of epic but it gets slightly old, riding into things you couldn't see.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Northwind wrote:
    I always think I want hot, dry and dusty. Then every year I go on holiday and the dust drives me up the wall. Can't see, can't breathe. It feels kind of epic but it gets slightly old, riding into things you couldn't see.
    Yep nothing like some fog and a chill wind up your kilt.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Kilts are for bufties, I'm all about the tartan mankini.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Ice is no problem with some studded tyres. So,basically, ride in just about anything.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    My road bike is now tuck up nice and warm until next spring. Cyclocross build nearly finished and mtb. Is ready to ride. Not had any weather yet I won't ride mtb in. But wouldn't be too keen in really strong winds and driving rain. I quite like muddy trails though, brings the kid out in me.
  • won't go out if having to set off in heavy rain, but if i's light / drizzle or happens when your out it's not a problem.

like the snow, but hate it when it's icey

i find high winds are the key issue, anything over 18/20 mph and i normally won't bother as it's too much like hard work riding round the exposed peak district!

tend to keep the rides shorter in the crap weather though and unlikely to go over 2.5 hrs

if you just wait for good weather your not going to do a great deal of biking in this country
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Bailed on a ride this morning due to sideways rain, hate being soaked before I've even hit the trails, don't mind if it starts when I'm already out.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • very spoilt over here...more than very light drizzle and I'll normally bail, as I know it's gonna be sunny the next day :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    Windy weather stops me even getting the bike out of the shed, cant stand a headwind!

Other than that, dress for the weather and its not too bad, although rain straight out the door does dampen my spirits a bit (aha, aha, ahahaha....... :roll: )

Coincidentally that's why i'm tinterwebing, as its blowing a hoolie outside at the mo.....
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • Kowalski675
    You'd be better off with a boat here today :(
  • Best bet is to get filthy as soon as possible so you stop caring.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'll ride on the road in anything bar ice and/or lots of snow, or when blowing a stupid wind. I'm fairly light and while I don't mind headwind I'd rather not be getting blown around by side winds on the road. It's these times when I favour the mountain bike.

Regarding the mtb I can sometimes be a bit apathetic if it's pissing it down and the ground is just a mess and I've got something better to do, but generally I'll go out and ride whatever. Just have to dress appropriately and get be willing to clean the bike afterwards :lol:
This discussion has been closed.