Paulus Quiros bikes

2»

Comments

• Garry H wrote:
    stevevw wrote:
    Yes they are truly custom frames, forks and stems. I agree with Tbelcher72. My bike also has a few spacers for exactly the same reason. You only have to look at classic bikes with quill stems to see we are not doing anything different positioning the bars to suit the rider.
    why noy just go for a quill stem set up then? Or even an extended head tube...

Disc Brake so wanted 1 1/8" steerer. Not that many 1 1/8th threaded headsets about and probably less 1 1/8th quill stems. Perhaps I should have got Jose to make them for me.
  • I probably will get Jose to make a custom stem. We played with different lengths on the jig so I will try a couple first them get one made to the best length.

Looked at the Nitto bars and they dont seem to be anymore expensive depending on the model. They dont do 31.8 though.

I think Jose would have a fit if you asked him for an extended headtube.

Any suggestions on wheels and hubs?
  • Those carbon rims I told you about seem to be working well on the boss's new bike as for hubs I say Hope. I love mine and the upside is you will never need a bell, just freewheel.
  • Skinny T,

The Nitto bars I used on my PQ are oversized 31.8 (M179 SSB is the model number) I had to search a bit to find them. The really good thing about them is that they have the cable grooves either side of the bar so Campag and newer Shimano levers can run the cables without too much bulge under the bar tape.

I bought them from Alex cycles in Japan, but maybe Tokyo fixed in London migh be able to get them for you.
  • stevevw
    I dont think the carbons will go very well with the bike aesthetically, plus I would like silver but it seems most things are black these days. Hope hubs would be good but I am not sure I can take the freewheeling racket. I might go for them anyway as they seem good buys.

Tbelcher72
    Thanks for the NItto info. I looked on the Nitto and Alex bikes web sites and Alex seems to have a lot more Nitto stuff than appears on their own web site, seems odd.
  • skinnyT wrote:
    stevevw
    I dont think the carbons will go very well with the bike aesthetically, plus I would like silver but it seems most things are black these days. Hope hubs would be good but I am not sure I can take the freewheeling racket. I might go for them anyway as they seem good buys.

Mavic Open Pro's then.

2013-01-26111933_zps27817ec6.jpg

2013-01-26112011_zps343df440.jpg

To be fair when riding the hope freehub is not that bad.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Tbelcher72 wrote:

The TA cranks are bonkers money, but are beautifully made, and as they are modular can be changed to any configuration you like at a later date (triple, compact double, road double etc). coupled with a phil wood bottom bracket they must be among the smoothest spinning chainsets in the world.

Highly recommend TA cranksets - I run a Carmina triple on the Audax bike and it is fabulous to use. Mine is coupled with a Royce titanium BB and has been running smoothly for 25000ish miles without issue.

They are huge money, but utterly flexible.

I do not regret buying it for a minute - but it did take some thinking before I pressed the buy button on them (being 3 times the price of a typical Shimano crankset).
  • I am trying to get some silver rims without a braking surface. Been talking to Pete Matthews, he suggests some Pianni DRXL. They seem to be new and there is no info I can find on them but Pete does seems to have a very good reputation.

Stevevw
    What size rotors are you running? I was going to use the new Shimano road hydraulics with 140mm rotors. I was at the LBS today and found out there are no IS to post adaptors for 140 so it will have to be 160.

Still thinking about the Carmina cranks. One problem is that Jose was going to route the electronic cables though the bottom bracket and he thinks this would be a problem with a square taper BB which the Carminas take. They are expensive but I dont think they are more than Dura-ace and less than Record.
  • Mine are 160mm both ends the Volagi is 140mm both ends. If I was to build another I would go 160 front 140 rear.
    I can lock the rear if I try so 140 should reduce that, never locked the front so am happy with the 160 and would not go bigger.

If you are desperate to go 140 can Jose not build with post mounts? Would the Shimano disc's not limit your choice of hubs?
  • Thanks stevevw.

Jose has some engineering reasons for going with IS mounts as opposed to post. If I understood correctly the frame and fork need a lot more reinforcing for post mount. Its beyond my engineering knowledge really but he didnt seem keen on the idea.

Centre lock does limit hub choice. Going for 140 discs also limits choice of disc and I cant find an adapter for IS to post. 160 is ok, so I guess that will be choice.

The Carmina cranks also seem to be problematic as they do not seem to support Shimano 11 speed rings plus the square taper BB makes routing the electronic cables internally along the chainstays difficult/impossible.

Choosing components has highlighted a few issues I never considered before...
  • I probably missed it but why not use the Ultegra chainset?
  • Given the choice I would opt for silver components hence the Carmina. The Ultegra is some sort of grey so its just an aesthetic thing really. Jose suggested I use 180mm cranks as well and Shimano dont do them in Ultegra. I will probably go Ultegra and accept how it comes.
  • The Di 11 speed is a lot darker than the normal Ultegra. I would say have the anodizing removed and the cranks polished but then the mech's would not match and I would not recommend trying to strip them down for refinishing.
  • stevevw
    stevevw Posts: 84
    About time you got pictures up on here now it has been debuted.
  • Skinny T, I am guessing that you bike was the Wales themed bike on display at Bespoked last week, in which case you have a absolutely amazing bike, I saw the bike up close at the show and love the lug detailing and the colour scheme. I am now talking with Jose about building me another bike, this time 921 with discs...
  • stevevw
    Put a link here to your build thread please Tbelcher72.

I may organize a PQ ride one of these days if enough owners are interested?
  • Will put a link just a soon as I get one set up.
    I would be interested in a PQ ride if one was set up, I have now relocated back to the UK. Would be the one of he classiest club rides ever!!
  • stevevw
    I will talk to Jose & Jonathan to seeabout organizing a PQ ride
  • Hi Steverw,
    If arranging a group ride, and assuming it is from Burry Port, how about arranging a cafe stop where us non PQ riders can come along and have a look.
    A couple of years ago they had a stand at the Merlin Sportive, although only just beginning to cycle I could recognise the art in their work.
    Dave (envious) in Swansea.
  • skinnyT
    skinnyT Posts: 73
    My bike is the Welsh themed one, picked it up last week and its fantastic :D . I will upload some pictures when Jose sends me the latest ones. Meanwhile you can see them on the PQ home page if you scroll down to the twitter bit.

http://www.paulusquiros.co.uk/

It seems I have long legs and a short torso meaning I need a relatively short toptube. On my other bikes I get back and neck ache but I rode the PQ for 80 miles last Monday and no back or neck ache. For the first time I realized how much difference a well fitted bike makes. As well as looking great it also handles much better than other bikes I have ridden, like its on rails. I cant fault it so far.

The build was Ultegra Di2 with the road discs. The wheels were Shimano cyclocross RX31. They seem ok. When there is more choice of hubs and disc only rims I will probably upgrade them.

I was also astonished at just how good their service is. Jose spent hours in answering my questions and making sure I was going to be happy with everything. When the paint turned up it looked all wrong according to Jose so Jonathan went to the paint suppliers and sorted it out. I even got to watch Jose build part of it when I went up for the day.

I would be up for a PQ ride, it might be some good publicity for them as well.
  • skinnyT
    I was going to post some pics but I tried uploading some of the professional photos Jose had done but they are too big. My amateur ones it seems are too wide... :?
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    Stunning

Bl5QwJbCEAAKdi_.jpg:large

Bl-Z07qCMAAbF5-.jpg:large
  • skinnyT
    Thanks Bregante. I finally managed to get a couple sorted.

• stevevw
    So far so good, I will let you know how it turns out. :D

Well how did it turn out long turn?