Lower back / Hip pain - probable cause ??

13»

Comments

• mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Shorter stem and inline seatpost
  • 3rd appointment with Physio on Tuesday past and happy to say I am making progress.
    Curve in my spine has reduced and forward stoop much less pronounced.
    Continuing to do prescribed exercises and definitely feeling improvement.

May be wise to start think about booking a bike fit as I know the places I'm considering going to have long waiting lists and don't want to wait until I'm 100% fit and then have to wait months for proper fit.
  • Feels like I've taken a few steps back of late. I had to stop taking the Tramadol as it was causing GI issues and now I'm starting to realise how much it was helping.
    The annoying, incessant dull ache has returned with vengeance and definitely affected this weeks appointment with Physio. That said, the physio still believes I have made significant progress since I started seeing her.
    This thing is such a friggin pita!
  • Had my MRI today, result should be with my GP within two or three weeks.

Also back on the Tramadol as not being able to sleep was sending me loony tunes. One trammy and I slept like a baby.
    I'm going to have to gradually decrease the dose when I come to stopping the drug and not go cold turkey like I did the last time.
  • bahzob wrote:
    I would strongly recommend this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Danielsons-Core-Advantage-Strength/dp/193403097X

The first section is as comprehensive an overview of the muscles/skeleton, how they work and what can go wrong, as you are likely to find anywhere. If you take it with you visit a professional then they should be able to point to specific pages and say "that's your problem"

The second section is a full range of exercises, some of which may well help.

Cheers for the recommendation bahzbob, I bought this excellent book last week and intend working through the excercises as soon as I get the ok from my Physio.
  • pcb24
    pcb24 Posts: 98
    ilovegrace wrote:
    I have to jump in here , i am the prolapsed disc king "par excellence" .
    I will not bore you with all the details , i will only say that in my experience treatment phsyio etc for what appears to be a herniated/prolapsed/bulging disc is more or less a waste of time.
    You have to do what you can and work through the pain with pain killers etc.
    To quote Sarah Keys "the disc will heal in its own stately manner".
    Where a disk has bulged this means that the Nucleus within the disc has penetrated the discs walls and you guessed it , caused a bulge which presses on the nerves surrounding it,this causes excruciating pain.
    Trying to "treat " this problem is like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube, it wont happen.
    I know you will not like to hear this but "time" is the healer with this one. There is no quick fix.
    But , things DO get better each day, the pain reduces and normal service is resumed.
    I am cycling 150 plus and running 8 miles per week , but this does not come without 100 % attention to posture and specific exercises.
    While you are laid up read "Treat your own back "
    Take it from me you WILL be back on the bike and you WILL be pain free . I know it is hard to believe this when stood at the bottom of the stairs getting to the top looks like scaling Everest and even turning over in bed need about 5 mins serious contemplation but it will get better.
    With a little more thinking time on your hands, use this time to plan ,once you have recovered how will you manage this problem in the future?
    regards
    ILG

Ouch! Ilovegrace I treat a number of patients on a weekly basis with disc herniations and the majority improve with physio. Also a herniated disc does not always mean nerve compression! You have made some very bold statements here that go beyond an opinion and I would therefore hope you have a medical background??

I have no problem with people mentioning there own personal experiences but to state that physio will not work, or you must do this or do that without medical knowledge or assessing a patient is a potentially dangerous. It is miss-leading to those that read it and may prevent a full recovery, or even worse make the symptoms deteriorate. I strongly agree with the other physio on here who has said that without a full assessment of a patient you can not offer treatment advice! Please always speak to a professional if you have an injury.
    Cervelo S2
    Langster for the winter
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    pcb24 wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    I have to jump in here , i am the prolapsed disc king "par excellence" .
    I will not bore you with all the details , i will only say that in my experience treatment phsyio etc for what appears to be a herniated/prolapsed/bulging disc is more or less a waste of time.
    You have to do what you can and work through the pain with pain killers etc.
    To quote Sarah Keys "the disc will heal in its own stately manner".
    Where a disk has bulged this means that the Nucleus within the disc has penetrated the discs walls and you guessed it , caused a bulge which presses on the nerves surrounding it,this causes excruciating pain.
    Trying to "treat " this problem is like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube, it wont happen.
    I know you will not like to hear this but "time" is the healer with this one. There is no quick fix.
    But , things DO get better each day, the pain reduces and normal service is resumed.
    I am cycling 150 plus and running 8 miles per week , but this does not come without 100 % attention to posture and specific exercises.
    While you are laid up read "Treat your own back "
    Take it from me you WILL be back on the bike and you WILL be pain free . I know it is hard to believe this when stood at the bottom of the stairs getting to the top looks like scaling Everest and even turning over in bed need about 5 mins serious contemplation but it will get better.
    With a little more thinking time on your hands, use this time to plan ,once you have recovered how will you manage this problem in the future?
    regards
    ILG

Ouch! Ilovegrace I treat a number of patients on a weekly basis with disc herniations and the majority improve with physio. Also a herniated disc does not always mean nerve compression! You have made some very bold statements here that go beyond an opinion and I would therefore hope you have a medical background??

I have no problem with people mentioning there own personal experiences but to state that physio will not work, or you must do this or do that without medical knowledge or assessing a patient is a potentially dangerous. It is miss-leading to those that read it and may prevent a full recovery, or even worse make the symptoms deteriorate. I strongly agree with the other physio on here who has said that without a full assessment of a patient you can not offer treatment advice! Please always speak to a professional if you have an injury.

This is very important advice, by all means take internet suggestions to a trained professional consulation but don't just take advice off the internet it could set you back with the best of intentions.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned (I'm not reading all the posts!) but look into Piriformis Syndrome. I've been suffering with this of late. Stretching the piriformis, as well as rolling will a tennis ball (painful!) has been helping. I've also been doing some glute activation exercises which is also advised.