The f**king massive storm

13»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Great bit of backside covering by the Met Office. The BBC were forecasting South Wales and South West England to be worst affected still at 10.30pm on Sunday night while their own wind arrow map was showing nothing over South Wales and big arrows over the South East. All day Sunday the Met Office website was showing an amber warning for 80mph winds in my area while the detailed forecast was showing 17mph winds gusting to 35mph. I can understand a bit of caution in the hope of avoiding deaths but their own information was completely muddled. It was also another situation where the BBC had to talk it up a bit as they'd sent reporters out to do their pieces in wet weather gear with raging winds and stormy seas in the background - the guy in Cardiff Bay must have felt stupid as the gentle flapping of flags in the background contradicted the tale of doom he was reporting. Even in the South East it couldn't have been that bad as they were using stock footage of storms they had shown on Sunday during last night's news.

They are still claiming the 'biggest storm since 1987' but I reckon that even in the south we have at least one storm like that every year. I'm sure it was worse last year / 2011 whenever it was that a stage of the ToB got cancelled. To make it worse the weather people are being self-congratulatory for predicting it. I wonder how much it cost the economy?
  • It was a bad storm. Michael Fish's own tree blew over this time!!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I've been hiding. Is it safe to come out yet?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Pross wrote:
    Great bit of backside covering by the Met Office. The BBC were forecasting South Wales and South West England to be worst affected still at 10.30pm on Sunday night while their own wind arrow map was showing nothing over South Wales and big arrows over the South East. All day Sunday the Met Office website was showing an amber warning for 80mph winds in my area while the detailed forecast was showing 17mph winds gusting to 35mph. I can understand a bit of caution in the hope of avoiding deaths but their own information was completely muddled. It was also another situation where the BBC had to talk it up a bit as they'd sent reporters out to do their pieces in wet weather gear with raging winds and stormy seas in the background - the guy in Cardiff Bay must have felt stupid as the gentle flapping of flags in the background contradicted the tale of doom he was reporting. Even in the South East it couldn't have been that bad as they were using stock footage of storms they had shown on Sunday during last night's news.

They are still claiming the 'biggest storm since 1987' but I reckon that even in the south we have at least one storm like that every year. I'm sure it was worse last year / 2011 whenever it was that a stage of the ToB got cancelled. To make it worse the weather people are being self-congratulatory for predicting it. I wonder how much it cost the economy?

Well, in the lane outside my house in South Somerset two oaks got blown over. I counted over 200 rings in one of them, so yes it was extremely windy at 5am when they fell. Gusts of About 80 MPH I would say, I could hardly stand up.
    They survived 1987 but it's how water-logged the ground is that seems to be the key factor. Days of rain when the trees are still in leaf makes them more vulnerable.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    The general media is only ever interested in Darn Sarf, I'm suprised that no one remembers that!
    We've had 48 hrs of coverage on the tv of the devastating events, and there wasn't enough wind to dislodge a flat cap! I've witnessed bigger wippet farts :roll:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @n... Nope, we will let you know, honest...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Went down to Wickes at lunch time to pick up some feather edge boards and other bits of timber, the woman said I must be fixing broken fences, I said no I'm building a bike store at the side of our house, think she thought I was taking the proverbial :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    It did make my hair look rather foolish.
  • Mikey23
    Don't remember hair ...
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Don't remember hair ...

Check your nostrils.
  • arran77
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Don't remember hair ...

Check your nostrils.

:lol::lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Don't remember hair ...

Check your nostrils.

And arsse
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    And ears! :shock: F*ckin ears for God's sake, what's all that about :evil: :oops:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    I am not in this category yet!

How did we get from the effing storm to this ?!?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • arran77

Mikey led us astray :wink:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425

If Mikey cant keep within the rules they will ban him :D
    etc
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420

I am, that's the exact model I use. Comes with a little attachment to trim your eyebrows too :D

There's always a couple of rogue nose hairs that escape these gadgets, no matter how much you wiggle them.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn wrote:

I am, that's the exact model I use. Comes with a little attachment to trim your eyebrows too :D

There's always a couple of rogue nose hairs that escape these gadgets, no matter how much you wiggle them.

I know someone who used to shave his ar5e. :shock:
    Don't know why, but whatever floats yer boat.
    His big mistake was telling one of the other lads in confidence. :lol:
  • Mikey23
    So why is that you can't grow hair on your head but you can wake up in the morning looking like a yak is hiding up your nose?
  • pinno
    Mikey23 wrote:
    So why is that you can't grow hair on your head but you can wake up in the morning looking like a yak is hiding up your nose?

Why are you sleeping with Yaks in the first place?
  • Mikey23
    Have you met the wife?
  • pinno
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Have you met the wife?

Now you've said that, do I want to?! :shock:
  • Mikey23
    Not while she is doing her lesson plans you don't... She bites

Btw have you heard there's a f**king massive storm due?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Mikey23 wrote:

Over 70 mph forecast tonight.
    Batten down the hatches.

The wind should fuel the bonfire but gawd knows where the rockets are going. :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Over 70 mph forecast tonight.
    Batten down the hatches.

The wind should fuel the bonfire but gawd knows where the rockets are going. :lol:

I really don't want to know what you do with your rockets thank you :wink:

Wind or no wind we'll be blowing up a small corner of this pleasant land tonight too :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    We usually go to a charity display put on by ginsters over in callington. Looking at the weather right now and with the forecast looking worse I don't think we will bother...