Brass Monkeys...

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited January 2014 in XC and Enduro
Right!

Who's Brass Monkeying this winter then?! Just about to sign up for the full set (to make myself feel better about sitting on my backside for the past hour, messing about on the internet and eating a box of Maltesers) :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• Substitute Maltesers for red wine and you've got the reason I've not signed up yet!

If I've drained the wine cellar dry by Christmas I may be tempted out in the new year to reclaim my rightful place towards the back of the middle of the field... :roll:
  • miss notax
    That's a rubbish excuse ;-)

I am cleverly using the races to justify my Malteser and wine habit...!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• Also planning to do the whole 4 hours race series.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I ought to sign up really, cement my mid table mediocrity.
  • miss notax
    That's the spirit njee20 :lol:

• njee20
    Slightly depressing when I was happily top 10 a couple of years ago! :-(
  • miss notax
    Ah, welcome to the 'getting older' club :-)

• I appear to have a pass to a few of these. Despite living on the doorstep and going to most of the Brass Monkey races, I don't think I have actually raced one before :oops:

4hrs for me, probably joining njee lost somewhere in the middle of the results.
  • njee20
    Woop woop, let's strive for anonymity!
  • I'll be there for round 1 in the 2hr cat. Bit of a trek for me but worth it
  • Right, checked down the back of the sofa and found a shred of motivation, so I'm now signed up for round 1!

I graduate to the 'adult' category this year, so hopefully it'll be populated by slow, old giffers who will make me look good.. (gnarled, race-hardened whippets more like!)
  • miss notax
    Ha ha :lol:

I'm quite looking forward to it, although I shall look like an idiot racing on the Burner (in a shocking display of over-bikeness!) but hey ho. Only one mountain bike at the moment so needs must! :lol:

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I'm going to wheeze my way around.
  • njee20
    I don't actually have a mountain bike presently, which may pose a problem.
  • Mccraque
    @njee20 - I am sure I read a story where Peter Sagan turned up on his sisters bike because his was lost in transit....and subsequently won the event.....
  • njee20
    I imagine Peter Sagan would still have won even if his sister's bike was a 12" kids bike!
  • Nick, if it helps you can borrow my son's 24" wheeled mtb. If we put the seat up you won't look too ridiculous. It is 1x10 so you will manage fine, in fact it is probably lighter than most of the bikes at the race so you will have no excuse!
  • njee20
    Haha! Wouldn't want to deprive Isaac of a race!

Should have a bike sorted for the second one, I'll try and drag myself out for that!
  • miss notax
    How did everyone go then??!!

Good to see Frogstomp speed past but not sure I recognised anyone else?

6th in category for me - hopefully not out of 6 ;-) !!

• JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    edited November 2013
    13th in the 4hr Vets for me. Pretty pleased with that, legs felt good for the first couple of hours, but endurance wasn't there, which I expected as it was the first ride over 3hrs I have done for a while.

I thought the course was fairly good, and given the problems the organisers had in the past week with trails being trashed it was very good.

Lou had to pull out after 6 laps as her (fairly new) Reba forks blew an internal seal, so she did most of her last lap with no air pressure in them, and the lowers slowly filling up with dirt as the oil wiper had been forced off. She still managed 3rd, but I am sure she would have been 2nd otherwise. Now to see how good Planet-X are with warranty returns...
  • miss notax
    Oh god, poor Lou, that's a nightmare :-(

I didn't realise that there was a last minute problem with the trail?

• There has been forestry work going on for a few weeks now, it has trashed some of the existing trails. And made the fire roads a bit muddy! So the organisers spent several days building a couple of miles of new trails, only for those to be destroyed by forestry vehicles last week. Good job the main monkey is a quick trail builder.
  • Hi,
    I finished 14th in 4h veteran males, just 1 position after Jason ;) Loved the course, kudos to the organizers.
    I started very well first 3 laps but during lap 4 I was having cramps and had to ease the pace. I also drank too much powdered water and had to stop for a wee twice! At the end felt slightly better eating bars.

See if I can catch you, Jason, next race in 3 weeks time!
  • Mccraque
    I finished mid pack in the 2 hour male. Certainly had nothing left and rather glad I finished lap3 after the cut off... Or would have forced myself into lap4.

Really enjoyed it... May not be able to do the next round as wife about to drop- but will be back later in the series
  • Managed to scrape into the points with 39th in the 2hr Male Vets.. would've been 40th but I bust a gut to overtake someone on the last corner and it worked out lol! :mrgreen:

Great course.. roll on round 2!
  • Sarpullido wrote:
    See if I can catch you, Jason, next race in 3 weeks time!

Good stuff, see you there. I am not sure how quick I will be as it is my birthday on the Saturday, so may be recovering from that.

For anyone that hasn't spotted it, Round 2 is now to be held at Ceasers Camp - Look forward to a bit more climbing than Rnd 1!
  • Some photos available here and here...

Round two confirmed at Caesar's Camp.

11050965623_8a65e0e604.jpg
    _DSC0751_edited-1 by Kevin Sheldrake, on Flickr
  • 800 photos and none of me. Must have been going to fast.

I wish
  • miss notax
    None of me either :(

• Sounds like I'm the only one who slows down for the photographers? Maybe that's where I'm going wrong then... :oops: