Triban 7 or Felt F85? *EDITED*

13»

Comments

• Hi leem,

Good shout! Will possibly seek a price match, although I'm now beginning to warm to the white version. So, you own the bike, how do you mean that it isn't much of a race set up as you thought it would be?
  • Would anyone give this the time of day?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-devil-xenon-2012-1/

very nice bike for that money. Decent groupset too with the hidden cables like 105!.
    Not sure about the chainset mind - havent heard of them.

The price for this has just fallen to £568.00. But someone mentioned that Microtech isn't too hot. Also, anyone have any knowledge on Campagnolo Xenon?

Cheers! :wink:
  • I also read the reviews and though it would be more stretched out it's very similar to my brother-in-laws trek 2.1 2011 and I'm 5ft 7" with a 54 frame, I can ride it all day in comfort , well thinking about changing the seat but that's just down to personal choice/ comfort
  • Hi leem,

Good shout! Will possibly seek a price match, although I'm now beginning to warm to the white version. So, you own the bike, how do you mean that it isn't much of a race set up as you thought it would be?

Its the kind of generalised terms some use for the geometry and position on the bike. That review said it was race orientated which TBH isn't really. Race setup / position is when the general geometry of the bike puts the rider in a more hunched position where your arms and head are lower down, arse higher up in a profile to get down and areodynamic. TT Bikes are the ultimate form of this- more uncomfortable and suited to speed.

Sportif and/or normal bikes (like the Felt and ones recommended on here) have a higher front end. Either in the length of the tubes or spacers etc. - Position is more upright and relaxed for longer stints. Overall geometry is more relaxed compared to a TT or racer.

Honestly wouldn't worry much over it.

very nice bike for that money. Decent groupset too with the hidden cables like 105!.

The price for this has just fallen to £568.00. But someone mentioned that Microtech isn't too hot. Also, anyone have any knowledge on Campagnolo Xenon?

Frame is really smooth - best finish I have seen for Aluminium. However Campagnolo Xenon has annoying thumb shifter buttons as well as brake and shift leaver. Equates to jumping around on the hoods to change gear.
    TBH Tiegra just has the trigger shifting like all Shimano and Sram systems.
    God knows what Microtech actually is - Microshift on the other hand are the only brand I have heard of thats similar.. they do shifters and gear systems - popularity and quality is debatable.
  • Ace. Cheers for the thorough info, it really is appreciated.

Nearly there with my decision!

^ I replied re the basso on page 3 having actually got one (for my lad) I'd agree re finish - it looks like a £1k bike to me.

Micro-tech is good enough - campag xenon is too, this is a 500+ bike not a £2k one - shifter action is standard campag and you either like it or not - i'd say it's smoother than my 105!

I like the look of the Felt 85 SE in wiggle and if i have a good month may get one for winter - that's nothin against the basso but matching father and son bikes - eeegh!
  • ^ p.s. if you pm me with an email i'll take some close up "devil" pictures for you
  • Evening, Archemist.

Thanks for replying. I think weighing up the options I am going to stick with the Felt F85. The Basso is indeed a very attractive bike and has good components, I've just been won over by the Felt. Everyone I've asked, outside this forum too have said that it is a good bike so I can't see how I will be going wrong.

Here's hoping you have a good month in November and join the club!

(this decision is based on the price not going up!)
  • ^ looking forward to some pics:)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, let us know how you find the new bike (have you ordered it now?) :wink:
  • ooo its so tempting as a winter bike too :idea:
  • Felt F85 purchase has been made. Eeeek!

Excited and a bit nervous at the same time. I also purchased the Black Shimano A530 SPD pedals but really not intending to use cleats just yet.

Just want to take this opportunity to thank-you all for the advice, it has strongly influenced my decision. I will no doubt let you know how I get on and may include a couple of pics.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Been following this thread with interest. Hope you're happy with the Felt OP.
    A bit late to throw in another - I get this on facebook ads
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/ridley-road-bikes/ridley-brontes-road-bike.html?utm_term=61370&utm_source=socioproduct&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=sociomanticFBX
    Wondered what people's opinions are and whether these deals will go on until between Xmas and NY.
  • This is an expensive hobby, isn't it?!

As well as the pedals, have bought a pair of Continental Gatorskin (wired) Tyres and some layers. Bought the tyres in anticipation of the wintry weather approaching - I've read really positive reviews. The size I ordered were 700c x 25mm and I'm hoping they'll give me some decent tread. Thoughts on the tyres?
  • MasterOfNone
    MasterOfNone Posts: 40
    edited October 2013
    So my bike arrived today and it is love at first sight. After seeing the driver haul it off the back of the van like a pig carcass, I was initially worried about any damage. After a quick inspection all seems fine and I attached the handlebar and then the Shimano A530 pedals. Have just taken it out for a quick spin and it's miraculous, the difference in road handling between this and my old Mountain bike - Uphill was almost effortless and getting used to the new gear system came naturally. I haven't been on a long ride yet so can't comment on my seating position but I'm sure I'll notice if anything needs adjusting in that department. Am contemplating the commute to work as early as next week.

Finally I would like to thank those that helped and advised, your advice is particularly important and relied upon by us starting out in the world of road biking. Cheers.

And here she is :

Bike1_zps2491fe66.jpg
  • So my bike arrived today and it is love at first sight. After seeing the driver haul it off the back of the van like a pig carcass, I was initially worried about any damage. After a quick inspection all seems fine and I attached the handlebar and then the Shimano A530 pedals. Have just taken it out for a quick spin and it's miraculous, the difference in road handling between this and my old Mountain bike - Uphill was almost effortless and getting used to the new gear system came naturally. I haven't been on a long ride yet so can't comment on my seating position but I'm sure I'll notice if anything needs adjusting in that department. Am contemplating the commute to work as early as next week.

Finally I would like to thank those that helped and advised, your advice is particularly important and relied upon by us starting out in the world of road biking. Cheers.

And here she is :

?ui=2&ik=2d22aef7ec&view=att&th=1420a095dc8b6230&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw

Pics dont seem to be working?
    try this site and copy the Forum URL..
    http://postimage.org/
    Glad you like it! ...... I guess White was right afterall ! :wink:

One of mine came from Wiggle in a huge box. Diver struggled with that to. Rushed out to give him a lift mind.
    They are well padded and secure in the boxes.
  • I had a feeling that would happen! Cutting corners.

Updated.
  • looks well. is it 54 or 56?

Putting a bet on how long it will be before you change the bar tape and saddle to black - they get grubby real quick in white :lol:

seriously though, don't think you could have beaten that price for that bike. Geometry does look slightly racy (short chainstays = wheel close to the seat-tube) but as long as you feel comfortable on it that's fine. My Ribble 7006 Winter bike has a similar profile.
  • I still have the cellophane on the bar! The next colour type will be black.

It's 56". Will fit the Gatorskins this weekend I think.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi again. Bike looks great ;-)
    How do you find the size?

I would stick the tyres straight on and put the others on ebay.
    You should take the cellophane off unless you are planning to return the bike (is that why the wheel reflectors are still on the wheels? :lol: ). Don't worry about it discolouring.
    I recently put white bar tape on mine. Have never really liked the look of white, but as I have a white bike for winter use I thought I would give it a try and actually quite like it now.

A lot of things on a bike are different to use than just look at. The black tape my bike came with was one that looked and felt horrible.

I also gave white a go as it was the first time I had put bar tape on and felt it may have not gone well.
    It was actually a lot easier than I thought and looks great. Next time it will be perfect though :D

When you do change make sure that you get a decent tape and not just a different colour. I used some Lizard Skins which feels great.
    You could also overwrap the white tape with some cheaper black tape if you want a more comfortable feel.
    I would have done this if I was not changing bars.
  • Hello,
    Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I haven't had the time to ride my bike yet which is MORE than frustrating!
    I've managed to get the Gatorskins on, I say managed, I struggled for AGES until I got really impatient and took them to the LBS to fit the last part of each tyre. The guy fitted what I thought was impossible within minutes. I'm going to be up shits creek if I ever get a puncture.
    The size of the bike feels prfect, but with regards to seating position, I'll have a better idea once I complete a decent duration of riding.
    You'll be pleased to hear that the cellophane is off as well as the reflectors.

Cheers for the tips regarding the tape. Will probably over lap it when I need to, although the bar is quite oversized as it is - So I'll see.

Now I can't wait to get out and really put it to the test!
  • Hello,
    Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I haven't had the time to ride my bike yet which is MORE than frustrating!
    I've managed to get the Gatorskins on, I say managed, I struggled for AGES until I got really impatient and took them to the LBS to fit the last part of each tyre. The guy fitted what I thought was impossible within minutes. I'm going to be up shits creek if I ever get a puncture.
    The size of the bike feels prfect, but with regards to seating position, I'll have a better idea once I complete a decent duration of riding.
    You'll be pleased to hear that the cellophane is off as well as the reflectors.

Cheers for the tips regarding the tape. Will probably over lap it when I need to, although the bar is quite oversized as it is - So I'll see.

Now I can't wait to get out and really put it to the test!

Best thing to do with bar tape is take the old off completely and cut some strips out of it to stick on the inside of the curves before re-applying the new tape. Adds more cushioning to the areas that matter and new tape will look better instead of super thick bars (which you will get overlaying).

lots of videos etc online on how to fit yourself properly to a road bike too.

Getting your seat height right is important. Many have the seat too low for starters. Seen way too many upturned handelbars too.
  • Thanks for the tips!

Judging by the photo, do my handlebars look well aligned? I read that they should be roughly horizontal with the ground.