Triban 7 or Felt F85? *EDITED*

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:
    the Ribble also appears to have an alloy fork.

I'd probably go for the Felt if I had to choose.

Carbon fork on the Ribble. Well respected frame too. The Felt is closer in spec to the Ribble and cheaper too. Good Buys IMO.

From your link:

"Ribble 7005 Sportive Frame

Specification includes:
    7005 Alloy frame and forks, Shimano Tiagra 10 speed groupset, ITM Aero 2.4 wheels, ITM 6061 bars and stem, Alloy seat pillar, Continental Ultra Sport tyres
  • keef66 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    the Ribble also appears to have an alloy fork.

I'd probably go for the Felt if I had to choose.

Carbon fork on the Ribble. Well respected frame too. The Felt is closer in spec to the Ribble and cheaper too. Good Buys IMO.

From your link:

"Ribble 7005 Sportive Frame

Specification includes:
    7005 Alloy frame and forks, Shimano Tiagra 10 speed groupset, ITM Aero 2.4 wheels, ITM 6061 bars and stem, Alloy seat pillar, Continental Ultra Sport tyres

Yeah its wrong (ish) the fork for that Ribble frame is Carbon with ALU shaft. Its available in Ribbles Fork section.
    I have that bike as a winter one and its defo carbon fork.
  • Would anyone give this the time of day?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-devil-xenon-2012-1/
  • Would anyone give this the time of day?

very nice bike for that money. Decent groupset too with the hidden cables like 105!.
    Not sure about the chainset mind - havent heard of them.
  • Have just received an e-mail from Chainreaction regarding sizing for the Corratec and I've been told they don't have my size. They feel the 55" will be too small for me (5'11'', 32inch inside). Bugger.

Looks like the Felt it is then.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Would anyone give this the time of day?

Nice bike. Just personal preference over the Corratec. Its cheaper and you can use quidco on wiggle (perhaps you can on chainreaction too?).

Micro Tech is just low end Campag stuff isnt it? Nothing wrong with it.

I prefer the look and upgrade options of the corratec personally, but Basso/Campag would be a great first bike if you like the look, and wheels are a lot nicer looking IMO.

Not convinced 55cm would be too small but probably not worth the hassle for you at this point. Is 32" your actual inside leg measurement, or just your jean size? They do not know how long your arms are, and a small bike can be made bigger ;-)

What size Basso/Felt would you get? A lot of people get too big a frame on their first bike.
  • My actual inside leg measurement is 32".
    I would go for 56cm. Which is a small difference but the adviser seems to think it wouldn't suit. This is difficult as it's a game of opinions and gut feeling. Made more difficult as I have ZERO experience in road bikes and their sizing!

An adviser at Wiggle seems to think the Felt over Basso for me. But speaking to him was like trying to draw blood out of a stone!
  • keef66
    "Micro Tech is just low end Campag stuff isnt it?"

I don't think so. Read a couple of reviews of bikes with Microshift STI's and they weren't impressed
  • Anonymous
    My actual inside leg measurement is 32".
    I would go for 56cm. Which is a small difference but the adviser seems to think it wouldn't suit. This is difficult as it's a game of opinions and gut feeling. Made more difficult as I have ZERO experience in road bikes and their sizing!

An adviser at Wiggle seems to think the Felt over Basso for me. But speaking to him was like trying to draw blood out of a stone!

Did he quantify that judgement? I would disregard it. They might just want to shift the Felts.

Dont forget you can send them back so its not the end of the world.

I am 6'1" and a 56cm Cannondale is nearly too big for me. I am sure a lot of shops would say get a 58cm if I phoned them up.
    If the Corratec sizing/top tube is similar to a Cannondales, I would be ordering a 55cm for me.

Sizing is tough enough in a shop, yet alone online.
    You either need to take a punt on one or buy a bike in a shop.

A lot of people change parts on a new bike to get a good fit, so be prepared to possibly do that.
    One of the reasons bike shops put people on larger frames is that its an easier sale than getting them to buy the small bike plus additional parts.
    Some people find the concept difficult but to me it makes perfect sense.
  • Interesting! He didn't quantify it, in fact I felt quite underwhelmed with the lack of explanation and shortness of reply from him.
    I think I'll keep the choice between a 56cm Felt and 55cm Corratec . I'm pretty much 50/50 with them so need to be persuaded to tip the scales either/or!
    It's comforting to know that if I'm not completely happy with either then I can simply return.
  • Interesting! He didn't quantify it, in fact I felt quite underwhelmed with the lack of explanation and shortness of reply from him.
    I think I'll keep the choice between a 56cm Felt and 55cm Corratec . I'm pretty much 50/50 with them so need to be persuaded to tip the scales either/or!
    It's comforting to know that if I'm not completely happy with either then I can simply return.

The Felt is the nicer looking bike. Better finish in my opinion.

The Corratec might have 105 for showroom magpie eyes only - but its also a good deal and good spec for the price. Personally don't like the frame finish or the bent bit at the cassette end of the chainstay but hay.

Size wize you will be fine on any as they are all available in that size region.
  • Anonymous
    My wife is 5'5" and has a 48cm Felt F55 if thats any help.

I quite like the angled chainstay personally :D
  • Anonymous
    How about you blow the bank and get one of these sale bargains in Evans if you are happy with a white bike :D
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/edd ... e-ec043542

Full carbon 105 with decent wheels and finishing kit.

You could pay the £600 as a big deposit and finance the rest.
  • Throwing a cat amongst the pigeons there ;)

I'm not prepared to spend that much on a bike as a beginner - even if it is spread over time!

I'm leaning towards the Felt as it stands. But as you can tell, I change my mind like the British weather.
  • Anonymous
    Sometimes you have to step back and consider something different to confirm what it is you really want :wink:

Any of them would be great as a first bike :wink:

As you are not going to be test riding them I would just pick the one you like the look of and make sure you get it in the right size.

Felt is probably the best spec all round. My wife, daughter and a friend all have one and they are really nice bikes.

I will ask my mate what size his Felt is.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Sometimes you have to step back and consider something different to confirm what it is you really want :wink:

Any of them would be great as a first bike :wink:

As you are not going to be test riding them I would just pick the one you like the look of and make sure you get it in the right size.

Felt is probably the best spec all round. My wife, daughter and a friend all have one and they are really nice bikes.

I will ask my mate what size his Felt is.

I agree.. OP just needs to go for it. They are all good. The Felt wins on what you get for your £ HOWEVER - the best all round ike for the money would be the Ribble. Full Groupset, Full ITM Finishing Kit, Nice frameset. :D
  • Anonymous
    Friend is 5'11" and says he thinks his is a medium. I thought it was a 54cm but not 100%
  • Cheers, buddy.

Will bear it in mind!
  • I know I'm only making this harder for myself but...um...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-experience-105-mix-2013/

(In BLACK & GREY)

Would you say this is vastly better than the Corratec and Felt?
  • keef66
    I know I'm only making this harder for myself but...um...

(In BLACK & GREY)

Maybe a bit better than the Felt, but not as good as the Corratec which has a full 105 groupset and RS10 wheels
  • keef66 wrote:
    "Micro Tech is just low end Campag stuff isnt it?"

I don't think so. Read a couple of reviews of bikes with Microshift STI's and they weren't impressed

We bought the Basso for my lad in mini 45cm size and it's a cracker! Very nicely finished and with enough Campag to make it feel special (compared to an Allez / Scott at equivalent Price Point).

Out of the box it weighed 8.4kg!

The Sti's are Campag Xenon 10 speed and more than good enough. The FD is Veloce and the RD xenon.

The micro-tech kit is Basso's own brand and the Devil comes with the same crankset / bars / post and wheels as the Loto and Laguna. I'd be happy enough with them on a Laguna at £1100 too.

Basso sizing is fairly conventional but seat tube is CC measurement so if anything I'd size down if between.
  • or yet more italian with a splash of 105...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-experie ... -mix-2013/
  • keef66 wrote:

(In BLACK & GREY)

Maybe a bit better than the Felt, but not as good as the Corratec which has a full 105 groupset and RS10 wheels

It was my understanding that the Corratec advertised on Chainreaction wasn't full 105?
  • keef66
    keef66 wrote:

(In BLACK & GREY)

It was my understanding that the Corratec advertised on Chainreaction wasn't full 105?

I was basing my comment on the spec in the earlier linked review. Not looked on CRC
  • Wiggle have just taken the Cinelli off sale. so the price is reduced but now priced at £861. Confirmed by one of their agents. 'unfortunately our bikes have to come off sale at some point' - was their excuse.

Oh well.
  • I can't remember you budget but you might have to factor in accessories and kit etc.
    The road bike is one thing but some don't come with suitable pedals.. Others no pedals at all! With pedals might come shoes etc.
    Do you want a water bottle and holder too?? Perhaps a speedometer?? (The latter very handy and virtually essential)
    You might then want some road bike clothes and kit?

All that adds up. The Felt is a great bike and leaves you with enough for some nice bits of kit etc?

If you have all that then that's OK.
  • I think you are spot on. However, I'm still trying to win myself over with the white frame - must say, I am warming to it!
  • I think you are spot on. However, I'm still trying to win myself over with the white frame - must say, I am warming to it!

might help ... http://www.erinbikehut.im/wp-content/up ... 24x463.jpg

(its the the normal white version on the above link! - Wiggle are doing a "Wiggle Exclusive" Version with a black version of the Chainset and White bar tape with silver cables)

to me it looks a really nice up to date, modern sporty road bike. + White is a safer colour than blending in all black. On the roads, unless you want to look like captain fluorescent then the bolder the better.
  • Really good to see it in that environment! Cheers. And yes, you're right, It really is a beaut!!!

Mind pretty much made up now.
  • Good choice of bikes, I've got the felt f85 in black and it looks great, you should try it, it's not that much of a race set up as I thought it would be. Try j e james or Evans if you want a black one they price match and j e James even matched a shop that it was out of stock of them in black