First time falling off the bike :(

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
Really, really stupid.... I decided at the last minute to pull into a farm entrance for a rest. Was going too fast, it was wet, and I failed to notice the very small kerb. Went in parallel to the kerb so instead of the front wheel going up it, the bike flew out sideways and I flew off (into the entrance, not the road fortunately!). Two cars that had been about to overtake me had to hit the brakes and pulled over to check I was OK.

Left side covered in cuts and bruises. Worst one on my palm as I wasn't wearing gloves. :oops: Have woken up this morning with a stiff knee and neck. :(

Fortunately I'm on a hybrid with flats so I didn't stay clipped to the bike!

No scratches on my helmet so my head didn't hit the deck and I don't need to replace it.

I haven't dared look at my bike yet. :( The husband came out in the car and rescued me and I was too shocked to check it while I waited for him. He looked last night and realised I'd lost the cap from the end of my handblebar, but he went out and found it for me (in the dark!), bless him. :) It was the original Whyte one with the stag logo so glad to have it back. He said the frame's pretty scratched in places. I'll look at it when I'm feeling brave. I absolutely love my bike to bits and it's only done 1,200 miles. :( He did say the brakes (disc brakes) weren't rubbing as he wheeled it in so the wheels still seem to be true. Think any damage will just be cosmetic.

Annoyingly, I only got a HRM a week ago, but wasn't wearing it as I'd only nipped out for a short ride. Readings would have been interesting - might have helped me find my maximum HR! :D

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    MIKEY!!!

Seriously, glad you seem to be in one piece.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    dont worry... mikey is on the case!!!!

pleased that you are ok. coming off is a rite of passage and a few bike scratches will give you a lot of street cred! and it does seem to be that momentary lack of concentration that does it. might just be worth getting yourself checked out just to make sure that you havent done any lasting damage. sounds like it could have been a lot worse. welcome to the club!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    pinkteapot wrote:
    the frame's pretty scratched in places

Blokes dig scars :D

Glad you're OK though.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Glad you're ok. Get back on the bike ASAP
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn wrote:
    Glad you're ok. Get back on the bike ASAP

Thanks. :) I will as soon as my palm isn't tender. Not feeling scared of riding again as I wasn't wiped out by a car or anything. I'll be more selective about stopping places in future though!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Glad you're relatively okay.

The disc brakes won't rub no matter how out of true your wheels are (out of true = rim, but disc brakes are attached to the hub) so they could still be wonky even though the brakes aren't rubbing.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Check out the Cake Stop massive swooning over the damsel in distress, if had of been a bloke falling off you'd all of been calling the OP a tw@t and telling them to MTFU :wink: :P

Glad you're ok by the way pinkteapot :wink:

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    arran77 wrote:
    Check out the Cake Stop massive swooning over the damsel in distress, if had of been a bloke falling off you'd all of been calling the OP a tw@t and telling them to MTFU :wink: :P

You are quite right Arran. I am a bit guilty of it as well.
    So. WTFU and get some ironing done. :lol:
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Pics, or it didn't happen! Any bum bruising?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Ballysmate wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Ironing FFS, that's one of the benefits of marriage :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    arran77 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Ironing FFS, that's one of the benefits of marriage :lol:

Sorry mate, I was directing the post to the unfortunate Tpot
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I did almost exactly the same thing a few weeks ago and now have a titanium plate in my wrist. Glad you're injuries weren't worse, get back on the bike and try to put it behind you :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • GiantMike
    unixnerd wrote:
    get back on the bike and try to put it behind you :-)
    No. Try to keep it under you.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Makes you jump doesn't it !

I did the same the other week, turned in, didn't see a 1/2" high marble kerb, hit it at 45 degrees and went down like a sack of spuds.

Bruised hip and elbow and a bent mech hanger, but nothing serious. Hope you're ok, get back, remember why it happened but forget everything else :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Ow

Now get back on your bike

See: Jens' mahoosive off in the TdF a few years ago.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • team47b
    unixnerd wrote:
    I did almost exactly the same thing a few weeks ago and now have a titanium plate in my wrist.

Handy for snacking whilst riding in a group, "slice of cake anyone" :D
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I actually wanted carbon but the doc insisted titanium was better.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Mikey23
    I wanted titanium but got boring old steel...
  • team47b
    ...one day Mikey you will Rust In Peace :D

I'll get me coat :oops:
  • Mikey23
    Boom boom
  • team47b wrote:
    pinkteapot wrote:
    the frame's pretty scratched in places

Blokes dig scars :D

Glad you're OK though.

Have a whoosh
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ballysmate
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Boom boom

Oi, that's my line. :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Soz..

Still boggling at the injustice... When I texted missus about my off, she didn't pick it up till 20 days later...
  • ballysmate
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Soz..

Still boggling at the injustice... When I texted missus about my off, she didn't pick it up till 20 days later...

You'd better get Mr Teapot's number for the next time you fall off then. :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    team47b wrote:
    ...one day Mikey you will Rust In Peace :D

:D:D

Soz, PTP. It happens to the best of us...and the worst.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Hope your palm gets better soon! In a weird way it's a relief it's happned (and wasn't a bad off!) as now that bit in your mind wondering what an off feels like is gone!
  • ballysmate
    Islwyn wrote:
    Hope your palm gets better soon! In a weird way it's a relief it's happned (and wasn't a bad off!) as now that bit in your mind wondering what an off feels like is gone!

As in when you are driving, you wonder what it is like to crash or as a pedestrian, what it is like to be run over? Such a relief when it happens. :wink:
  • GiantMike
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Islwyn wrote:

As in when you are driving, you wonder what it is like to crash or as a pedestrian, what it is like to be run over? Such a relief when it happens. :wink:
    When I ran the Costa Concordia aground I felt quite relieved. I expected my first grounding to be worse but I had no injuries at all.
  • ballysmate
    GiantMike wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Islwyn wrote:

When I ran the Costa Concordia aground I felt quite relieved. I expected my first grounding to be worse but I had no injuries at all.

Can't wait for my first plane crash. Every time I have flown I have been soooooo disappointed. :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Oh yeah the relief. Especially when you wake up in hospital and find your legs have been amputated after that tarmac shredder/road rage incident where you came worse off.
    They told me that once I had fallen off a horse 11 times, I would be a proper rider. Once I got to 27 times, I came to the conclusion that I must be a world class rider.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!