damaged forks recon silver tk's need advice

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Certainly not too many spacers. As long as you've got all the stuff in the right way round, and you tension the bearings before you tighten the stem looks good to go.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yes it is cut cant really see how it could work or even fit under the bearing but its irrelevant now as its sorted :)

Did you put a star nut (or whatever its proper name is) inside the new steerer ? Failing that looks fine to me, well it will do when its all tensioned up.
  • Is it right to have coated everything with grease as shown in the picture? Not being critical here, its just that I've just fitted a new Superstar Headset (Integrato, with sealed bearings) and didn't grease anything, besides the outsides of the new cups, just to make it easier getting them back into the headtube. Just checking if I've done it right, it seems fine and I believed that I didn't have to grease anything because of the "sealed" bearing cartridges.
    I noticed this thread because I have Recon TK Silvers and also my mrs has a Rockrider 8.1, same as the OP.
    Good to see that the Rockrider has Sealed Cartridge Bearings in the headset
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't need to. I add a bit as I figure it will add a bit of waterproofing. No idea if it does though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools