Saloon Car Track Days

lucan2
lucan2 Posts: 293
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
I'm trying to find a track day/race car experience to give as a Christmas gift.

Can anyone give me any feedback on this type of experience?

Ideally, I'm looking for a day package, saloon car rather than single-seat. And one where the car is provided as part of the package. Brands Hatch would be best, but another circuit would be OK.

Anyone done one? How was it?

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Ask VTech.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • lucan2
    Thanks. I've PM'd him.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I do track days at Silverstone normally and during the summer months.
    I can ask a few friends who may work at brands, give me a few days and ill get some info to you.
    Living MY dream.
  • lucan2
    Thanks, much appreciated.
  • Find out how much driving the experience actually offers. I did a Porsche experience and got 5 laps of a circuit. The instructor did one with me in the passenger seat, then I did four. By the time I felt comfortable in the car to start pushing it, it was all over. I was disappointed but not as much as my other half who had brought me the experience as a gift.

Apparently the ones run by Mercedes at Brooklands are meant to be good with plenty of driving time.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Lucan2 wrote:
    I'm trying to find a track day/race car experience to give as a Christmas gift.

Can anyone give me any feedback on this type of experience?

Ideally, I'm looking for a day package, saloon car rather than single-seat. And one where the car is provided as part of the package. Brands Hatch would be best, but another circuit would be OK.

Anyone done one? How was it?

I did one of the half days ones at Palmersport for my 18th and I'd recommend that, although they've changed the line-up since I did it:

http://www.palmersport.com/

-BMW M3 GT
    -Caterham 7
    -Ariel atom

(I did: M3, 911, Caterham, and Clio cup race car + the 'SuperRide' which was bloody quick!)

but you get a decent amount of time in the cars, nice-ish lunch, and a video of your drive in the M3... + a trophy If you're quickest in one of the cars.

and they do a full day - but that includes a single-seater.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    Arlington Stadium (Eastbaaaaawn) every Wednesday night in Summer. Any old banger is best.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • VTech
    OK, so it may not be suitable due to time but I have a full day testing with us at Silverstone around march/april of 2014 for the new Lamborghini Aventador and also the Ferrari 458.
    You will get to go out with one of the drivers and then you can take a few laps in one of the prep cars which would be either a 997 GT or a 458.

If this is suitable let me know.
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    VTech wrote:
    OK, so it may not be suitable due to time but I have a full day testing with us at Silverstone around march/april of 2014 for the new Lamborghini Aventador and also the Ferrari 458.
    You will get to go out with one of the drivers and then you can take a few laps in one of the prep cars which would be either a 997 GT or a 458.

If this is suitable let me know.

Nice one VTech.
    Take a bow, son. :lol:
  • daviesee
    For all the sh!t you take elsewhere this AGAIN proves you are above most of us here, if not all.

And certainly me. :wink:

Chapeau! :P
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Boys, you'll just have to face up to it :wink:

article-2260386-16DCA922000005DC-657_634x376.jpg

PS: @ the OP, here's a couple of links to Brands:
    http://www.trackdays.co.uk/driving_experience/brands_hatch/
    http://www.msvdrivinggifts.com/experience/m3-master.aspx

I reckon its a lot of money for the time you get but for special occasions, what the hell. If you really like it, get a car to take to track days, you get way more track time especially if its 'open pit' format. Plenty of hot hatches out there in track spec that are cheap as chips.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    An incredibly generous offer, chapeau, but somewhat sullied by the fact that you had to broadcast it. As the OP made contact in a PM, why not reply with this offer in a PM ?

Oh yeah...... No one else would know about it.
    Silly me !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • VTech
    edited October 2013
    MattC59 wrote:
    An incredibly generous offer, chapeau, but somewhat sullied by the fact that you had to broadcast it. As the OP made contact in a PM, why not reply with this offer in a PM ?

Silly me !

I bet your the life and soul of a party :)
    Living MY dream.
  • daviesee
    Judge a man not by what he says, but what he does.
  • ballysmate
    daviesee wrote:
    Judge a man not by what he says, but what he does.

+1

Give the bloke the credit he is due.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    VTech wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Silly me !

nice edit.. cooled off a bit? :roll:
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Silly me !

nice edit.. cooled off a bit? :roll:

The first reply was far more "apt" for the comment made dont you think ?
    Living MY dream.
  • lucan2
    Thanks for all of the suggestions and a massive thanks to VTech. PM sent.

:D
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth as they say. You jammy git.

Many years ago most weekends, I used to drive around Silverstone, the GP circuit, in all sorts, for next to nothing except the cost of fuel. I'd sell almost all my bikes to do that again.

Hope the lucky sod has a great time.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • lucan2
    I certainly won't! There are some incredibly generous people around and it will be very much appreciated.
  • pinno
    MattC59 wrote:

Silly me !

I dunno, some people...tut tut tut...

It's time for those psychiatry sessions Matt. I'm sure you can get a group discount :D
  • ballysmate
    MattC59 wrote:

Silly me !

It's time for those psychiatry sessions Matt. I'm sure you can get a group discount :D

Well with Schizophrenia you are never lonely. You always have someone to talk to.
  • VTech
    Ballysmate wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Silly me !

Well with Schizophrenia you are never lonely. You always have someone to talk to.

The guy needs help, can you imagine living in a world where you were so paranoid that you really thought everyone did things just for their own benefit :mrgreen:
    In the same world this same guy would also follow certain people on an internet forum and cause trouble at every opportunity :?

Ohh, hang on, this is reality. !

Seriously though, I think he needs help, I would gladly offer an olive branch to get us back on track so to speak, how about a meet up and a pint MattC59 ?
    Living MY dream.
  • pinno
    VTech wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Silly me !

Yeah, go on Matt - that seams like a great offer. You can't possibly turn this one down. What an opportunity.

The guy needs help, can you imagine living in a world where you were so paranoid that you really thought everyone did things just for their own benefit :mrgreen:
    In the same world this same guy would also follow certain people on an internet forum and cause trouble at every opportunity :?

Ohh, hang on, this is reality. !

Seriously though, I think he needs help, I would gladly offer an olive branch to get us back on track so to speak, how about a meet up and a pint MattC59 ?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    There have been several occasions on here where V has shown that deep down he's a thoroughly decent bloke, some people seem to take offence at his apparent wealth but if you've done well in life then good luck to you, even more so when a little of that wealth gets shared around 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    arran77 wrote:
    There have been several occasions on here where V has shown that deep down he's a thoroughly decent bloke, some people seem to take offence at his apparent wealth but if you've done well in life then good luck to you, even more so when a little of that wealth gets shared around 8)

You after something, Arran? :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Ballysmate wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

A free track day by the sound of it :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    True altruism is always anonymous - I think that is all that Matt was suggesting, I can't see the problem with that.

I also see that some seek rewards for what they do, I can't see the problem with that either.

Pretending to be one but actually being the other is where the problem lies.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • daviesee
    Class (wealth) wars.
    Cant beat it, eh?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

A free track day by the sound of it :wink:

Sssshhh :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn