Banksy

1234568»

Comments

• FocusZing wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    I like the thought behind his work, but seeing some random coloured words or pictures on public property by some toss pot turns my stomach. It just makes me feel I'm passing through a dive.

Have you seen his work? It's not really random coloured words or pictures.

Graffiti in general, this is a general rant.

4713039_043490fa.jpg
    That mess is just dragging a community down.

One of the better graphics
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    New video. It was supposed shred completely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45900314

What is the auctioneer pressing with his right hand after he transfers the gavel to his left hand and before he picks his pen up?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    What I want to know is, what kind of shredder can actually shred the wall?
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    edited October 2018
    Most things can be shredded.

Here is a concrete-filled oil drum being shredded - warning it's a bit noisy:

https://youtu.be/C12pCVQFxIo

..and this one shreds cars and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lA9vgU4uFI&t=126s
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,436
    ^ Worse thank chalk on blackboard. lol.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • JeemyW
    JeemyW Posts: 61
    Haven't had time to read all ten pages but if it hasn't been mentioned yet I have it on very good authority that Banksy is AKA Robert Del Naja from Massive Attack.

I'm totally with this. Not just Del Naja but a project that he runs. In fact the guy who comes up with the designs is called Andy. Del Naja bankrolls it and massive attack roadies and crew implement it.
    • although "banksy" makes money now, to do all the stuff "he" has done would require startup money. Its not gunningham or any struggling artist. Real people don't have the cash to do this stuff.
    • its definitely a project. Otherwise he would have been caught. You need ladders, vans, teams of people watching the streets, the stencils made in advance, and everything done in a few minutes flat.
    • all of the international art happened at the same time as massive attack tours.
    How did he do that and not be seen?!
    - see (2) above
    He's had one idea which he endlessly repeats.
    Not only is this true but he admits it. I forget the name of the guy he's ripping off but its not even very original and he has said as much.

Its just a total con.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,579
    JeemyW wrote:
    Not only is this true but he admits it. I forget the name of the guy he's ripping off but its not even very original and he has said as much.

Its just a total con.
    dran
    http://retroactif.free.fr/dran/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • robert88
    Its just a total con.

In what way?
  • JeemyW
    JeemyW Posts: 61
    Well, its not a guy. Its a project. It isn't what its made out to be, its a bundle of planned-out artwork made up on stencils and done by a team of people, its publicity stunts, "banksy" is just a stunt.

I am not a big fan of modern art but I have a friend who is and he had a Damien Hirst book. A big massive thing. It was actually quite good. I do like the Banksy stuff for what its' worth, but its just a big hype thing.

He took me to something in a Saatchi or Tate gallery that was in a big white room. It was basically a swimming pool you walked into, with a narrow V-shape cut down the middle of it. Filled with oil, with a mirror on the roof.

It was utterly disorientating. Really smart.

@sungod yes could have been - somebody told me this the other day, it was a french guy. This was how he proved it wasn't Del Naja avctually designing the artwork.
  • Blek le rat
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    OK chiming in on page 11.

I attended Monks Parks School in North Bristol in the early to mid eightees (1980's).

Banksy is in fact Gunningham.

Robert Del Naja was a couple of years above me in school as was another member of Massive Attack.

They are different people.

I attended Monks Parks School in North Bristol in the early to mid eightees along with my four brothers and have a lot of knowledge of the time and its conception as 'artists'.

As an aside Roni Size real name Ryan Owen Granville Williams famous for winning the Mercury Music prize as 'represent' was also in my school as well as a couple successful guitarist named Adrian Bennett (bands include Claytown Troupe and Valve). Julian Burdock was another very capable guitar player and still plays and is very successful. Google them both. Del Naja was in the same tutor / form group. There were a small cluster of white kids in my school who effectively wanted to be black (Del Naja) in a way Ali G parodied so well. Inner city Bristol schools in Thatchers Britain - hugely multicultural much as they are now but less prevalent. They would knock about in and around Picton Street and St. Pauls hooking up with Nellee Hooper and other young disenfranchised guys.

Burdock was brilliant friends with my oldest brother Dave, now 52 and also great friends with two brothers called the Halls that I played in a band with from 2004 - 2010 before we went our separate ways. Pub band in effect but good times.

Del Naja, Gunninghman and 'Size' depsite what you may have read lived in relative wealth in and around a part of Bristol called Bishopston & St. Andrews, on the cusp of St. Pauls, which fell into the catchment postcode for the comprehensive mentioned. But the 'kids' who lived there had 3/4/5 storey houses, academic parents / artists and chance - with drum machines / mixing desks and 8 tracks provided for the kids - who evolved into the Wild Bunch - aka Massive Attack.

Bennett / Burdock / the Halls lived in what would then be called council houses, but different to the social housing we have come to know now. I grew up sort of between the two, just off of Monks Park. My parents still live there.

The parents bank rolled the young artists and they would sit in and around the bottom of Park Street, smoking weed on College Green, chewing the phat, jumping skate boards off of benches and of course stencilling and applying grafitti as skaters in and around the centre, Temple Meads and so on.

Banksy's first calling card were vague black rats sprayed on pavements on College Green paving.

My ex best mate Scott used to roll with the Skate crew, as did a great friend called Richie, but sadly succumbed to drugs, hard drugs, heroin and they spent our 20's and 30's batting drug addiction though 'clean' now.

To the people who know them and saw this grow it is quite funny. Credit to them say I.

Of course, the Bristol sensation / sound moved to the band Portishead which is another story .... Tricky came into the mix with his raspy voice, but he was a lad from Knowle West on the other side of the city but again part of a movement.
  • well Scousse Lee has discovered that the Thai authorities consider his efforts to be a criminal act and he faces up to 10 years in jail. On the plus side he managed to spell 50% of the words correctly.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tress.html
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    well Scousse Lee has discovered that the Thai authorities consider his efforts to be a criminal act and he faces up to 10 years in jail. On the plus side he managed to spell 50% of the words correctly.
    Difficult to feel that much sympathy......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • robert88
    Never understood why people do graffiti tags other than as compensation for a feeling of inadequacy, impotence and under achievement. I doubt he had any idea what would happen to him as a result - Thai jail:
    All the fury of the Thai people against the neo-colonial economic imperialism of the West is directed fully at Western prisoners; in the provincial prisons, at least, where little or no oversight exists. The prisons in Bangkok are somewhat less deadly, as the personnel from the foreign embassies visit regularly, making sure that the worst of abuses are curbed.

But still...heroin addiction is rampant, madness is a regular side-effect, and no one emerges from the experience unscathed.

Probably wouldn't understand Banksy, either.
  • Robert88 wrote:
    Never understood why people do graffiti tags other than as compensation for a feeling of inadequacy, impotence and under achievement. I doubt he had any idea what would happen to him as a result - Thai jail:
    All the fury of the Thai people against the neo-colonial economic imperialism of the West is directed fully at Western prisoners; in the provincial prisons, at least, where little or no oversight exists. The prisons in Bangkok are somewhat less deadly, as the personnel from the foreign embassies visit regularly, making sure that the worst of abuses are curbed.

But still...heroin addiction is rampant, madness is a regular side-effect, and no one emerges from the experience unscathed.

All the fury of the Thai people against the neo-colonial economic imperialism of the West is directed fully at Western prisoners

what is the source of your quotation?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103

Banksy is in fact Gunningham.

Del Naja, Gunninghman ...

Conflicting versions. Nice try, Banksy!
  • robert88
    Robert88 wrote:

All the fury of the Thai people against the neo-colonial economic imperialism of the West is directed fully at Western prisoners

T.M. Hoy, author of Rotting in a Bangkok Hilton: The Gruesome True Story of a Man Who Survived Thailand’s Deadliest Prison.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    well Scousse Lee has discovered that the Thai authorities consider his efforts to be a criminal act and he faces up to 10 years in jail. On the plus side he managed to spell 50% of the words correctly.

...for Daily Mail readers.
  • Rolf F wrote:

I don’t know if some illiterate foreign twit spray painted the Tower of London I am sure most people would want him incarcerated.

Apparently he has tried to claim artistic expression
  • Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

T.M. Hoy, author of Rotting in a Bangkok Hilton: The Gruesome True Story of a Man Who Survived Thailand’s Deadliest Prison.

Any other evidence for this fury
  • robert88
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

No I am afraid you have exceeded your allowance for this month. You will need to take out a subscription.

Anyway it occurred to me that there was another dimension to Banksy's prank. After all if one can persuade an auction house to display an object containing a hidden, remotely controlled device in a room packed with wealthy customers then it is just as well it was merely a harmless shredder.
  • Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

No I am afraid you have exceeded your allowance for this month. You will need to take out a subscription.

Anyway it occurred to me that there was another dimension to Banksy's prank. After all if one can persuade an auction house to display an object containing a hidden, remotely controlled device in a room packed with wealthy customers then it is just as well it was merely a harmless shredder.

That is a shame as when googling your chap I stumbled on an American who turned down the opportunity to transfer from Thai prison to one in the USA as he reckoned on balance it was safer.
  • Maybe the sex was better?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

I don’t know if some illiterate foreign twit spray painted the Tower of London I am sure most people would want him incarcerated.

Apparently he has tried to claim artistic expression

Actually, to be fair, I wouldn't wish what is sounding like he'll get on anyone. So I retract that - I would feel sympathy if that is his fate; I'm not a callous b'stard. But on the other hand, you probably shouldn't travel to most countries outside of Europe if you can't manage to comply with their laws particularly when drunk. I've never felt the need to vandalise other peoples property when I'm drunk.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • robert88
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

That is a shame as when googling your chap I stumbled on an American who turned down the opportunity to transfer from Thai prison to one in the USA as he reckoned on balance it was safer.

And your point is?
  • Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

And your point is?

Thai prisons aren't so bad
  • robert88
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

And your point is?

Thai prisons aren't so bad

You're welcome.