New Walking Jacket

2»

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I didn't mean Gore Windstopper as an alternative to a waterproof,I meant using something like Polartec Powershield or a Schoeller fabric instead of Windstopper. I don't think it's much more breathable than Gore Tex, but it wouldn't be, seeing as it's also a membrane, possibly the same type (?)

I've climbed (and cycled) for over twenty years, and pesonally I think that tightly woven face fabrics such as Poweshield and the aforementioned Pertex make for a much superior wind proof garment than one based around a membrane. I would think that they would also make for a better cycling jacket. Although fit might be an issue with Pertex

I know that Patagonia don't make cycling garments, I just wish they did.

Never had any issues with Montane garments in about ten years of using them.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    For important closures the jacket has poppers rather than Velcro which usually gets clogged with fluff in my experience.
    I'm planning a walk in the rain on Sunday so I can test the water resistance.
    ...best suited for autumn and winter use as it keeps you warm (but no sweaty).

Poppers allow you to keep the jacket closed but fully vented, really useful for bike use when climbing in the rain.
    One walk in the rain is just a test of the "permanent" water-resistant treatment, this is what outdoor-gear magazines do. You need to wear it everyday for 3 months and see if it still works. Paramo can be re-treated successfully for many years. When it wears out, they can repair it pretty successfully. I had a zip and liner put in for £40.
    I wear mine below 16C but I feel the cold.

On my tour of the North Sea cycleway up to bergen I ummed and erred about taking the Paramo but decided to carry it in addition to my lightweight but very old Goretex. I stashed it in my pannier all the way until the first big storm of late summer then wore it everyday through Sept/Oct in Norway and several days of torrential rain. I remained dry and comfortable and the jacket dried out inside the tent within 20 mins.
    I had to do one emergency re-proof in a basin when my alcohol fuel spilled.
  • Rab and Montane are my favourite outdoor brands. I recently got a new Montane eVent jacket and love it. I've even discovered a new use for it... The hood is climbing helmet compatible, which means it also fits over a bike helmet! Would be too hot for weekend rides but I've used it for my short commute in the rain. :D I probably look like a complete idiot, but I get to work cosy and dry. :)

For weekend rides I just get wet. As it were.