Perfect commuting weather?

2»

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Good man, I told you not to give up the booze.

I am still giving up the booze, Just not yet. I am being taken out by some friends to my two most favourite pubs on the 1st November (Lowlander and Southampton Arms) for one last drink up... :?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    If you're a fan of the Lowlander and the Southampton Arms, I'm fairly sure you're going to find it ruddy difficult to give up the booze.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    ketsbaia wrote:
    If you're a fan of the Lowlander and the Southampton Arms, I'm fairly sure you're going to find it ruddy difficult to give up the booze.
    Quite right. They do look good, you'd like Sussex Arms in Twickenham.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Just show's we're all different I guess!
    Indeed, vive la difference, I know not everyone dresses down as much as me, which is why I put the discuss in the first post!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    rubertoe wrote:

Fail.

Another one that lives at the top of a hill, so straight into a decent.... its a killer on the ears. "Now, where did I put that headband...?"

Straight into a decent what?
    FCN = 4
  • rubertoe
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Fail.

Another one that lives at the top of a hill, so straight into a decent.... its a killer on the ears. "Now, where did I put that headband...?"

Straight into a decent what?

Downhill, obviously. :roll:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Another crazy warm October day; shorts & t shirt afternoon, in contrast to the fully-winterised pack of four riders I saw at 7 this morning.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Perfect commuting weather is anything above 20C.

OK commuting weather is anything between 10C and 20C.

Difficult commuting weather is below 10C.

Non-commuting weather is below 0C.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    DrLex wrote:
    Another crazy warm October day; shorts & t shirt afternoon, in contrast to the fully-winterised pack of four riders I saw at 7 this morning.

Sure was, did a 10 miler along the Wandle Trail and the Thames path with my 6 year old this afternoon via a new bike park in Wandsworth which he loved. We both had waterproof jackets on as it was raining early afternoon. Got quite hot.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Joelsim wrote:

Sure was, did a 10 miler along the Wandle Trail and the Thames path with my 6 year old this afternoon via a new bike park in Wandsworth which he loved. We both had waterproof jackets on as it was raining early afternoon. Got quite hot.

Hey Joel! Welcome back! Tell me that the Wandle isn't the open sewer that it used to be in the Seventies/Eighties?
  • rubertoe
    dont think its going to be perfect tomorrow...

• The Rookie
    No, not perfect today, though drier than my ride on my mtb on Wednesday which was a total water/mud fest! We'd had nearly an inch of rain here that day!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lots of boil-in-the-bag going on today - thankfully I realised it was chuffing mild when putting the bins out so went LS merino base layer only. Could have gone SS, was still boiling hot by the time I got in. Thankfully missed the rain.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    I only commute once a week when I work at a different site (today) so I thoroughly enjoyed my ride in. Even added an extra mile in due to roadworks. I wore shorts with light jacket and long fingered gloves and was a little warm.
    However found out when I got to work I had forgotten my work shoes.. so now strolling round the office in my SPD-SL's and overshoes to make them black. Sigh.
  • rubertoe
    ad_snow wrote:
    I only commute once a week when I work at a different site (today) so I thoroughly enjoyed my ride in. Even added an extra mile in due to roadworks. I wore shorts with light jacket and long fingered gloves and was a little warm.
    However found out when I got to work I had forgotten my work shoes.. so now strolling round the office in my SPD-SL's and overshoes to make them black. Sigh.

The best way of killing some cleats is to walk around in them (especially SPD- SL)

• ad_snow
    rubertoe wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

The best way of killing some cleats is to walk around in them (especially SPD- SL)

Yup. Health and safety won't let me go around barefoot though. Feel like a tool.
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    ad_snow wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

Yup. Health and safety won't let me go around barefoot though. Feel like a tool.

Surely more of an H&S risk walking round in them rather than barefoot though?
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • ad_snow
    andyb78 wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

Surely more of an H&S risk walking round in them rather than barefoot though?

They would rather me walk through the canteen (non-carpeted area) in cleats than just my socks. :roll:
    Anyway, a kind colleague had a meeting at my normal site and brought me some of my own shoes back with her, hero!
  • The Rookie
    Heroine?

Too hot today dammit, 'the return of the sweat!'.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Luckily i escaped the house in a ss bl and jersey. Just hope this weather sticks around in the evening.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • One of my colleague, just before I left said "i like your hair, must keep you warm!"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    Bit fresher in the park this morning, but absolutely beautiful so I really didn't mind. Head and ears were cold so I was regretting my recent haircut.
  • The Rookie
    Must admit I could have had fingered gloves today by the end, and it was a bit fresh on my opening downhill stretch (mild, slope, circa 22mph) until I'd generated some body heat, so thin full gloves for tomorrow.