Perfect commuting weather?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Warm enough for T-shirt and shorts and mitts, cool enough that I can pedal hard and not arrive dripping with sweat - EUTOPIA!

Discuss!
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Too cold.

Too moist.

I was warm and dry enough in Bib longs, L/S jersey, Full finger gloves and a Soft shell Jacket. And Overshoes.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The Rookie
    What temperature is it in London then? Must be sub zero, it's still +6ish at morning commute time up here!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubertoe

There is a cold front. :oops:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I'm a big southern Jessie, for that reason I'm out.
  • The Rookie
    Having been born and grown up in Kent I cannot condemn people for being Southern Jessies, merely for acting like one!
  • shorts, ss jersey and coolmax arm warmers that I could have taken off after 6 miles or so. Nice. Still ended up with sweaty back though.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • My leg warmers made their first appearance this morning since about March. 6 degrees when I left, like to protect my knees.
  • I love clear cold mornings, but I'm a bit sniffly at the moment so it's 3/4 leggings under baggies, merino LS baselayer under SS and full gloves for me. Boiling when I get in but can't face the initial coldness atm. Living at the top of a hill doesn't help - Brrrrr!
  • Living at the top of a hill doesn't help - Brrrrr!

+1 !
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hang on. Is this one of those disguised "I'm so hard I'm still commuting in shorts and T shirt but actually I have about a foot of fat protecting my bones so really I'm not hard at all and am just a soft Southern jessie but I want to talk about how hard I think I am without being too obvious about it so I'll post a thread on a related topic so I can show off subtly" threads?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rolf - sounds like it ...

I've been in longs for the last week - they first made an outing in Sept when the temp took a brief nose dive.

Weather wasn't perfect today - too much wet stuff coming down - I had breakfast then changed into normal work clobber and drove in ... I don't mind getting wet on the way home, but not generally on the way in ... hopefully back on the bike tomorrow.
  • rubertoe
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf - sounds like it ...

I've been in longs for the last week - they first made an outing in Sept when the temp took a brief nose dive.

Weather wasn't perfect today - too much wet stuff coming down - I had breakfast then changed into normal work clobber and drove in ... I don't mind getting wet on the way home, but not generally on the way in ... hopefully back on the bike tomorrow.

Fail.

Another one that lives at the top of a hill, so straight into a decent.... its a killer on the ears. "Now, where did I put that headband...?"

• Rolf F wrote:
    Hang on. Is this one of those disguised "I'm so hard I'm still commuting in shorts and T shirt but actually I have about a foot of fat protecting my bones so really I'm not hard at all and am just a soft Southern jessie but I want to talk about how hard I think I am without being too obvious about it so I'll post a thread on a related topic so I can show off subtly" threads?

If memory serves though Rolf you can do an uncanny impersonation of skeletor :D so might be forgiven for not having any insulation at all!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • veronese68
    The Rookie wrote:
    Having been born and grown up in Kent I cannot condemn people for being Southern Jessies, merely for acting like one!
    Condemn away...
    I knew I'd have to drive in one day this week so I picked today as it looks about the worst weatherwise, took advantage of the fact and gave the EPO a lift to her work and gave a lift in to a friends daughter that works here. I was watching the bikes go by wishing I was on mine though.
    I don't do well with the cold, I blame having an Italian mother that always had the heating on high and insisted I wore lots of layers going out when I was a kid. This morning in the car the wife was complaining about our son not putting his coat on and saying I should insist he wears it when she tells him to. I get her point, but I'm kind of glad he can deal with the cold better than I can.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I don't do well with the cold, I blame having an Italian mother that always had the heating on high and insisted I wore lots of layers going out when I was a kid.

Just like my mother... and for the record, I did cycle into work today... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Rookie
    Rolf F wrote:
    No, it was genuinely how I felt when I got to work, that the weather had been perfect for the commute.

As it happens my BMI is well into normal though I am no racing snake, besides fat actually makes you feel the cold more not less as it insulates your skin (where you feel the cold) from the hotter parts of your body.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The Rookie wrote:
    Warm enough for T-shirt and shorts and mitts, cool enough that I can pedal hard and not arrive dripping with sweat - EUTOPIA!

Discuss!
    Seriously? It was about +7C when I rode in this morning and I had winter gloves, a long sleeved jersey with a lightweight baselayer and roubaix lined 3/4 length bibs.
  • The Rookie
    Seriously yes, I know I tend to 'run hot', but there is no way I'd be considering longsleeves or extra layers yet, lightweight full fingered gloves will be out soon (about +4 for me, a little warmer if it's damp) though. I wonder if having a cross country commute (so very little stopping and chilling) affects my choice of clothing as well - although it also means more windchill!

My rules of thumb..

Down to +4 shorts, T-shirt and mitts, possibly knee warmers or full fingers gloves on a breezy/damp day below +6
    below +4 full finger gloves and knee warmers
    below 0 softshell and thicker gloves (fingers suffer first due to exposure in airflow)
    below -4 tights.

I cycled out from the Uni up to the A5 north of Nuneaton about this time last year, when I arrived at my destination the security guard was wrapped up like bibendum, long coat and thick gloves while I was in shorts and a T!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The Rookie wrote:
    Seriously yes, I know I tend to 'run hot', but there is no way I'd be considering longsleeves or extra layers yet, lightweight full fingered gloves will be out soon (about +4 for me, a little warmer if it's damp) though. I wonder if having a cross country commute (so very little stopping and chilling) affects my choice of clothing as well - although it also means more windchill!

My rules of thumb..

Down to +4 shorts, T-shirt and mitts, possibly knee warmers or full fingers gloves on a breezy/damp day below +6
    below 0 softshell and thicker gloves (fingers suffer first due to exposure in airflow)
    below -4 tights.

I cycled out from the Uni up to the A5 north of Nuneaton about this time last year, when I arrived at my destination the security guard was wrapped up like bibendum, long coat and thick gloves while I was in shorts and a T!
    Personally once the temp drops below 10C I wear a long sleeve top and shorts, possibly 2 layers on top. Below about 7C and I get the lycra tights out too and below 5C, full gloves....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • The Rookie wrote:

My rules of thumb..

below -4 tights.

Personally once the temp drops below 10C I wear a long sleeve top and shorts, possibly 2 layers on top. Below about 7C and I get the lycra tights out too and below 5C, full gloves....

Must be a hassle on those early winter days when the temperature goes from 4 to 12 in the same day... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The Rookie wrote:

My rules of thumb..

below -4 tights.

Must be a hassle on those early winter days when the temperature goes from 4 to 12 in the same day... :mrgreen:
    Yeah but I tend to be riding relatively early and relatively late at each end of the working day, don't ride in the middle of the day when it reaches the heady heights of 12C!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • slowbike
    I'm rarely in just shorts - it's got to be >~20°C for that. Otherwise it's below the knee leggings down to around 10°C then tights below that - when it's below zero I'll possibly add another leg layer.
    Hands - short fingered gloves in anything above ~10°C and long figured below that - it's easy to carry both pairs - once it gets around freezing then I'll change to ski gloves.
    Am I a southern jessie - probably ... but I don't care - I still carried on riding through the snows last winter...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

If memory serves though Rolf you can do an uncanny impersonation of skeletor :D so might be forgiven for not having any insulation at all!

This is true. I know the pain of being rejected by vultures....... :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rubertoe
    I sweated so much on the way home. I was over dressed (i had shorts not longs on).

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The Rookie wrote:

My rules of thumb..

below -4 tights.

Just show's we're all different I guess!

I commuted to campus from Tamworth for 3 months (September-December 2011) and found when I was doing a long steady commute on country lanes I had to wrap up warmer than I would do for my normal 6 miles sprinting between city traffic lights.

I also know I tend to wrap up warmer in the morning than I do in the afternoon, even for similar temperatures. I just tend to feel the cold more when I'm not long out of bed!

This morning it was about 10C and I was in thin long fingered gloves, shorts, jersey, arm warmers and a thin short sleeved base layer.
  • veronese68
    I had a hair cut the other day, my ears are cold now. :-(
    But what a beautiful morning. :-)
    Sun was shining, ground mist in the park, the deer were all a bit frisky and making funny noises. Absolutely bloody marvellous.
  • rubertoe
    This morning was much more pleasant i will admit, (although for me it was still dark). I wore shorts.

It was a perfect morning to try and ride off a hangover. Which I failed at. Now seeing if a bacon roll and some caffiene is gonna help.

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Totally overdressed this morning. Bagged the jacket (what was I thinking?) at New Cross Gate and even started regretting the long-sleeved top by Waterloo Bridge. It looked cold out there.
  • slowbike
    Still in longs & overshoes - but went for a merino base layer and a short sleeved jersey over the top this morning ... even into the mist I was still very warm (not too warm - just comfortable - I prefer to be warmer in the morning!).
    Didn't help getting a flat about 2/3rds of a mile from work ... :(
  • veronese68
    rubertoe wrote:
    This morning was much more pleasant i will admit, (although for me it was still dark). I wore shorts.

It was a perfect morning to try and ride off a hangover. Which I failed at. Now seeing if a bacon roll and some caffiene is gonna help.
    Good man, I told you not to give up the booze.