Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

David Millar announces retirement after 2014 season.

1356

Posts

  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,680
    This line in his Wikipedia entry has the air of made-up-ness about it but is brilliant non the less.

    Millar won a gold medal for Malta in the 2001 Games of the Small States of Europe held in San Marino.
    It's definitely true. Mentioned here: http://www.nocmalta.org/games_sanmarino.htm
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Aside from what I think about personally, the fact that he remains in the sport is a serious problem. One of the major factors that stops big sponsors (i.e. Multi Billion Dollar Blue Chip Companies) getting involved in cycling is the fact that dopers can come back into the sport after a relatively short ban, as it shows that cycling's governing bodies are not 'zero tolerance' when it comes to this form of cheating.

    For all the work he has done against doping since his ban, Millar will not endorse lifetime bans for riders and staff as he would be subject to them, both as a rider and a team owner (major shareholder in the Garmin team).

    I won't overtly criticise him for looking after his own interests, and promoting a line which supports his own interests, but to think he is doing anything else is just fantasy.
  • A lifetime ban for a first offence as a doper....is never going to happen in a sport that's signed up to the WADA Code, as almost every sport is. This is not a cycling issue, per se.

    The Code as it stands at present provides for a sanction of up to 2 years for a 1st offence - with discretion given according to cuircumstances, a big reduction if they offer up information etc. A second offence would incur a longer ban - but still not life (e.g. Ricco, with his 12 year ban). Third offence - the national governing body can push for lifetime - as CONI are doing with Di Luca.

    The Code's been revised and is going up for approval at a big AD conf in Nov. The revision increases the max terms e.g. up to 4 years for a 1st offence. But 1) lifetime bans for 1st offences arent seen as workable or even legally defensible, and 2) there will still be reductions of up to 75% if the person provides info.

    I know Armstrong's sanction has been a lifetime ban, but the USADA rationale for that is everything else including intimidation, running the team doping programme, supplying, obstructing the course of justice etc. And according to reports, if he'd co-operated he's never have got anywhere near a lifetime ban.
  • No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 10,264
    Aside from what I think about personally, the fact that he remains in the sport is a serious problem. One of the major factors that stops big sponsors (i.e. Multi Billion Dollar Blue Chip Companies) getting involved in cycling is the fact that dopers can come back into the sport after a relatively short ban, as it shows that cycling's governing bodies are not 'zero tolerance' when it comes to this form of cheating.

    For all the work he has done against doping since his ban, Millar will not endorse lifetime bans for riders and staff as he would be subject to them, both as a rider and a team owner (major shareholder in the Garmin team).

    I won't overtly criticise him for looking after his own interests, and promoting a line which supports his own interests, but to think he is doing anything else is just fantasy.

    Firstly, I disagree with life bans for first offences being a good idea, even if they were legally possible. But that's another thread, RR above makes a few pertinent points.

    But secondly, who are these huge global multi billion blue-chip firms that aren't in cycling, and which sports do they sponsor? The true giants tend to avoid sponsoring teams at all - look at football for instance, where are Microsoft, Apple, the major car firms? And any sponsor that big can lay it's own ground rules for the cleanliness of it's team - as Sky have done. If they want to sponsor a team that refuses to hire any ex dopers then they can do it.
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

    @DrHeadgear

    The Vikings are coming!
  • rayjayrayjay Posts: 1,384
    Aside from what I think about personally, the fact that he remains in the sport is a serious problem. One of the major factors that stops big sponsors (i.e. Multi Billion Dollar Blue Chip Companies) getting involved in cycling is the fact that dopers can come back into the sport after a relatively short ban, as it shows that cycling's governing bodies are not 'zero tolerance' when it comes to this form of cheating.

    For all the work he has done against doping since his ban, Millar will not endorse lifetime bans for riders and staff as he would be subject to them, both as a rider and a team owner (major shareholder in the Garmin team).

    I won't overtly criticise him for looking after his own interests, and promoting a line which supports his own interests, but to think he is doing anything else is just fantasy.

    Firstly, I disagree with life bans for first offences being a good idea, even if they were legally possible. But that's another thread, RR above makes a few pertinent points.


    But secondly, who are these huge global multi billion blue-chip firms that aren't in cycling, and which sports do they sponsor? The true giants tend to avoid sponsoring teams at all - look at football for instance, where are Microsoft, Apple, the major car firms? And any sponsor that big can lay it's own ground rules for the cleanliness of it's team - as Sky have done. If they want to sponsor a team that refuses to hire any ex dopers then they can do it.

    Sky Hired a doping Dr, the staff was full of ex dopers, Sky :lol::lol::lol: all the way to the bank
    If I was a young athlete I would dope. The chances of getting caught are minimum if your smart. The rewards would be well worth a 2 year ban. You would be welcomed back into cycling as all dopers are and David Millar will probably pat you on the back say he understands were you are coming from and you and David could go off and race your Ferraris round Monaco in between a spot of training :lol::lol: :lol but Im not wrong.
  • bockersbockers Posts: 146
    rayjay wrote:
    If I was a young athlete I would dope. The chances of getting caught are minimum if your smart. The rewards would be well worth a 2 year ban.

    Says everything we need to know about you and your ethics :roll:
  • bockersbockers Posts: 146
    When Sky were informed of anyone's doping connections their contracts were terminated. Like him or loathe him Mr Millar has stood against doping, more than any other ex doper I can think of and is trying to effect change.

    It does seem to me that anyone trying to do the right thing is damned by you, rayjay. Why? Would it be better is nothing changed and doping continued as per the 90s .
  • dsoutardsoutar Posts: 1,746
    edited October 2013
    Ex-Dopers you admire most: Millar / Valverde

    Hmmm - difficult choice...

    IMHO that's the answer to most of the stuff above
  • ProssPross Posts: 26,484
    Aside from what I think about personally, the fact that he remains in the sport is a serious problem. One of the major factors that stops big sponsors (i.e. Multi Billion Dollar Blue Chip Companies) getting involved in cycling is the fact that dopers can come back into the sport after a relatively short ban, as it shows that cycling's governing bodies are not 'zero tolerance' when it comes to this form of cheating.

    No, the reason such big companies don't sponsor cycling is they get bigger exposure in sports like football or tennis (where doping isn't an issue for the simple reason they don't bother with minor things like regular testing). The few footballers that have tested positive and / or missed tests have strangely walked back into the sport on completing their (often stupidly short) bans and yet the multi-nationals are still ploughing in money.
  • I met him in Aberdeen last year when he did "an evening with David Millar" and I am definitely a fan.

    Very articulate, very funny, signed my Garmin shirt and posed for a photo. Cheering him on the Champs-Élysées this year was a little bit special and I will be there again for next years Commonwealth games.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,680
    Pross wrote:
    No, the reason such big companies don't sponsor cycling is they get bigger exposure in sports like football or tennis (where doping isn't an issue for the simple reason they don't bother with minor things like regular testing).
    The exposure is fine - in fact it's very good. It's the corporate hospitality opportunites where the likes of football and tennis win.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ProssPross Posts: 26,484
    Scotty-Gee wrote:
    Cheering him on the Champs-Élysées this year was a little bit special and I will be there again for next years Commonwealth games.

    You're going to be on the Champs Elysee for the Commonwealth Games? Won't see much.
  • There again - "supporting him" - this year.

    I agree that might not have come over well.
  • rayjayrayjay Posts: 1,384
    bockers wrote:
    When Sky were informed of anyone's doping connections their contracts were terminated. Like him or loathe him Mr Millar has stood against doping, more than any other ex doper I can think of and is trying to effect change.

    It does seem to me that anyone trying to do the right thing is damned by you, rayjay. Why? Would it be better is nothing changed and doping continued as per the 90s .

    yeah right, Mr Millar riding for Garmin who have a team of ex dopers who only came clean once they knew they were going to get busted in the LA saga. I did not hear Millar speaking up against is doping team mates. JV and his boys would have not come clean if they did not have to. The same way Sky forgot tell to us about Leinders until it came out otherwise he would still be there giving Froome and Wiggo some plasters when they have an accident :lol: Hey news for you, riders are still doping. Armstrong retired ages ago, do you think they stopped doping when he retired. You stick to your ethics and come last if you want because nearly all those guys you would be racing against at the very highest level are juiced up. Millar is just a hypocrite pretending to be better than other dopers. He's no better than any of them. If he could have got away with it he would have. Just like all his Garmin team mates. You are telling me he rode with his Garmin team mates for years and he never had a clue that they doped. :lol: He only speaks up when it suits him as do all ex dopers. They do not want to drop team mates in the fire. If you live by your ethics then you should not even be watching cycling. If you ethics are so anti doping then ask Brailsford what exactly Leinders did at Sky. Even if Sky had hired Fuentes etc etc you would still defend them. You pick and choose what doped riders you like and you pick and choose what doping Dr's are alright to use.
    I love cycling but athletes dope and I really don't care that's their decision not mine. They are not addicted to crack.
    Their not breaking into your house for a fix or mugging a granny. Let them dope and then we would not be wasting everyones time and money on something that we can never control.
  • nic_77nic_77 Posts: 929
    rayjay wrote:
    If I was a young athlete I would dope. The chances of getting caught are minimum if your smart.
    Guess you would get caught pretty quickly then.
    Also it's "you're".
  • nic_77 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    If I was a young athlete I would dope. The chances of getting caught are minimum if your smart.
    Guess you would get caught pretty quickly then.
    Also it's "you're".


    He he
  • No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 10,264
    nic_77 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    If I was a young athlete I would dope. The chances of getting caught are minimum if your smart.
    Guess you would get caught pretty quickly then.
    Also it's "you're".


    He he

    Should also be minimal, not minimum.
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

    @DrHeadgear

    The Vikings are coming!
  • Daz555Daz555 Posts: 4,040
    bockers wrote:
    When Sky were informed of anyone's doping connections their contracts were terminated. Like him or loathe him Mr Millar has stood against doping, more than any other ex doper I can think of and is trying to effect change.
    Indeed he is - and I support his efforts on the whole.

    However his stance on doping reflects his own experience - he support reconciliation rather than zero tolerance. This brings into question his motives as one could argue he only holds that postiion because it is the ONLY position he can defend, or he'd be out of cycling permanently as a rider/coach/manager/owner.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • I have no issue with saying positive things about an ex-doper who spoke up against what he had done, served his ban and then came back a better person.

    Only a few people, even on BikeRadar have never made mistakes in their life... (we all know which posters ;) )

    Contrast to those who show no contrition like Basso, Valverde, et al and I have to show admiration and say I will miss his contributions to the sport.

    Throw in the way he has raced in breakaways and animated racing in recent seasons across a whole range of races and terrains and he will do for me.
  • salsiccia1salsiccia1 Posts: 3,605
    I have no issue with saying positive things about an ex-doper who spoke up against what he had done, served his ban and then came back a better person.

    Only a few people, even on BikeRadar have never made mistakes in their life... (we all know which posters ;) )

    Contrast to those who show no contrition like Basso, Valverde, et al and I have to show admiration and say I will miss his contributions to the sport.

    Throw in the way he has raced in breakaways and animated racing in recent seasons across a whole range of races and terrains and he will do for me.

    Sums it up nicely for me.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rayjayrayjay Posts: 1,384
    nic_77 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    If I was a young athlete I would dope. The chances of getting caught are minimum if your smart.
    Guess you would get caught pretty quickly then.
    Also it's "you're".

    Cheap little Jokes :lol: Once again you ignore the points I make because it is the truth.
    Show me something I said that was wrong ? You cannot. For all you little comments and cheap shots you cannot argue any of my points. Millar could sell you a pile of sh%% and you would buy it. Its all about the PR.
    They pray on the weak and the people who don't think for themselves. The boy has to make some money when he stops riding. Hey don't forget to kiss that Millar poster you have in your bedroom , you know the one next to the Wiggo poster you have good night :lol::lol::lol:
  • mike6mike6 Posts: 1,199
    rayjay wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    If I was a young athlete I would dope. The chances of getting caught are minimum if your smart.
    Guess you would get caught pretty quickly then.
    Also it's "you're".

    Cheap little Jokes :lol: Once again you ignore the points I make because it is the truth.
    Show me something I said that was wrong ? You cannot. For all you little comments and cheap shots you cannot argue any of my points. Millar could sell you a pile of sh%% and you would buy it. Its all about the PR.
    They pray on the weak and the people who don't think for themselves. The boy has to make some money when he stops riding. Hey don't forget to kiss that Millar poster you have in your bedroom , you know the one next to the Wiggo poster you have good night :lol::lol::lol:

    WTF? :roll:
  • Seriously not worth the ar"e ache
  • MacaloonMacaloon Posts: 5,545
    Now that Babs is warming up her pipes in the latrine, I'm withdrawing my invitation.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • CrankbrotherCrankbrother Posts: 1,695
    rayjay, that was gold ...
  • Macaloon wrote:
    Now that Babs is warming up her pipes in the latrine, I'm withdrawing my invitation.


    No room for the Brothers Grimm?
  • rayjayrayjay Posts: 1,384
    Just the sort of response I expected. Not one of you can come up with any argument to the things I said.
    Just a few Neanderthal responses as usual. I'm off to the ballet. :D
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 21,919
    Would you like a picture of my bed to prove i don't have a poster over it?

    *braces for gay joke*
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • BR 1979BR 1979 Posts: 296
    rayjay wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    If I was a young athlete I would dope. The chances of getting caught are minimum if your smart.
    Guess you would get caught pretty quickly then.
    Also it's "you're".
    They pray on the weak and the people who don't think for themselves.
    Also it's "prey".
  • mike6mike6 Posts: 1,199
    rayjay wrote:
    Just the sort of response I expected. Not one of you can come up with any argument to the things I said.
    Just a few Neanderthal responses as usual. I'm off to the ballet. :D

    Argue with those infantile rantings? Get real, or grow up. :roll:
Sign In or Register to comment.