Training Zones Question

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
This question is for any session really but I’ll use the LT training session as an example.
I now have 4 training zones set after having some physiology tests done, so 1 session consists of a warm up, 25 minutes in lower zone 2 with 12 ½ minutes recovery. Repeat then cool down.

What I want to know is, at the end of my warm up should it leave me in the lower half of my zone 2, or should I just work my way into lower zone 2 during the rep?

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If the warm up puts you in zone 2 - stay in it. If it doesn't put you in zone 2 - get into it. Nobody else can answer that for you.
  • That's really a question for whomever supplied the training. Training intensity levels and the training go hand in hand, as there are many different variations on such zones or levels, including what you are using to measure intensity.
  • supermurph09
    That's really a question for whomever supplied the training. Training intensity levels and the training go hand in hand, as there are many different variations on such zones or levels, including what you are using to measure intensity.

Thanks for reply, just waiting for email back from the supplier of my training. My zones are set from my results, just didn't ask about whether my warm up should build to ensure I'm at the desired range when I start the rep. Will wait to hear something, didn't know if there was a set rule.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    That's really a question for whomever supplied the training. Training intensity levels and the training go hand in hand, as there are many different variations on such zones or levels, including what you are using to measure intensity.

Thanks for reply, just waiting for email back from the supplier of my training. My zones are set from my results, just didn't ask about whether my warm up should build to ensure I'm at the desired range when I start the rep. Will wait to hear something, didn't know if there was a set rule.

It doesn't matter. The aim of the warm up is to....warm up. The aim of the interval is to ride at whatever intensity/duration is prescribed.
  • 12.5 mins recovery after a 25 min zone 2 "effort" seems a little high, I use zone 2 for my recovery during an interval session.
  • PhunkyPhil wrote:
    12.5 mins recovery after a 25 min zone 2 "effort" seems a little high, I use zone 2 for my recovery during an interval session.
    While I agree that's a long recovery period for the sort of interval length mentioned, because we don't actually know the intensity of the 4 levels in this case, it's quite possible that the upper end of this particular level 2 could be quite solid work. Or it might be fluff.

Perhaps this rider is just starting out and needs time to adapt to riding a bit harder. We don't know, only the person crafting the training and has information about the rider and the levels and can answer that question.

Hence why the levels and the training go hand in hand.
  • supermurph09
    Hi, hadnt spotted the replies.

These are my stats, lots of improvements can be made, particular in shifting my thresholds. I've been riding for just over 12 months and the reason I had these tests done is because I want to improve but needed to know what and how I could make the changes.

bodystats.png
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Power at LT is not the same thing as FTP.
  • Strong Vo2MAX, but your FTP is only 47% of your MAP. That's probably a weakness for you - it's trainable up to around 90%. Hard to really deduce anything from those tables, but if you do as much riding as you can and work really really hard, you should amaze yourself at what gains you can make if you retake the test in about 8 months time.

FTP can only go to *about* 75 to 80 % of MAP.
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Power at LT is not the same thing as FTP.

What is power at LT then? Just curious, not trying to be arsey
  • LT can be described in many ways, but in general it's about 10 to 15% below FTP.

LT is the work rate that elicits a lactate of about 2.5 mmol/L
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com