Orange Alpine 160! Pikes, Purple and Lots more! PAGE 4!

13»

Comments

• So a little has changed since last time.

Put a top guide back on just for extra security, rubber queen front tyre.

Got some XTR cranks on order too.

Spec is as follows.

18 inch striker orange alpine frame
    Pike RCT3 forks at 160mm travel
    XTR brakes with ice tech
    Fox ctd factory kashima with trail adjust shock
    Flow ex on purple 40t pro 2 evos
    Hope 2014 purple FR stem
    Zee mech, xt cassette, XTR chain, XTR shifter
    Reverb
    Gobi xm saddle

Weight is a smudge under 30lbs on the park tool scales at work.

Few more photos. Rides brilliantly uphill and downhill.

What do you reckon?

imagejpg5_zps995d6d36.jpg

imagejpg4_zps0a7b7c53.jpg
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Very nice, but how did you get it so light? Apart from the 1x system, your build is fairly heavy; flows, reverb, etc. Ok, I know the pike is lightish, but I just don't see how you managed. Great job though :)
  • In fairness mainly little bits. Tyres, tubeless, saddle. Enve carbon dh risers. 800mm wide and only weigh 220 grams.

Will get a photo of it on the scales tomorrow to confirm.
  • AshW92
    AshW92 Posts: 67
    Looks mint mate, love a good Orange. Recently got the same stem (same colour as well, nice choice ;) ) and rides so much nicer
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Still tempted to swap my mega for one of these.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    *AJ* wrote:
    Don't do it if you value your ability to pedal the damn thing
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I don't get this, I have ridden a 160 and it was fine pedalling uphill and my mate has one with bloody great 36's on and he flys up anything!
  • Russyh wrote:
    I don't get this, I have ridden a 160 and it was fine pedalling uphill and my mate has one with bloody great 36's on and he flys up anything!
    "Its all in the legs" :wink:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    180mm Domain on mine and I'm getting up my local alps without any problems at all. In fact I'm getting up them just as quick as I did on the rockhopper
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • 180mm Domain on mine and I'm getting up my local alps without any problems at all. In fact I'm getting up them just as quick as I did on the rockhopper
    I'd say most is down to technique and fitness. But people will be quick to blame their bikes. As a poor workman blames his tools. A poor/unfit bad technique mtber blames his £4500 bike. :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    I'm certainly not unfit, but coming from a lighter maestro link bike, my alpine pedalled poorly. The Mega, being lighter and with a different suspension curve, also goes uphill easier. It's not that I couldn't get the alpine up hills, I'd just rather have something a little easier, even if it doesn't descend quite as well.
    It probably didn't help that the shock on the alpine was knackered, but then I've had nothing but bad experiences with those RP23s anyway.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Agree with the rp23, did you not fit offset bushes to yours as well?
  • ilovedirt
    Angleset, which can't have helped, but I don't think it made a great deal of difference.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • So recently ive changed a few things.

Renthal Fatbar Carbon 30mm Rise instead of the Enve's.
    XTR Cranks
    Gone from XTR to XT brakes. The lever feel is much nicer i think.
    Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 Rear Shock with matching Decals.
    KMC Gold Chain along with new XT Cassette.

Riding well. Managed to get down from Snowdon Summit yesterday morning in a smidge under 14 mins top to bottom down the Llanberis path!

imagejpg1_zpsea0c9e8d.jpg
    imagejpg2_zps1ea7878c.jpg
    imagejpg4_zps1f2af103.jpg
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    *AJ* wrote:

I went for a five instead!
    Love this Alpine though! Looks like a right weapon!

I nearly went for the Pikes for mine, as my mate had an ex display set he was willing to sell me cheap.
    I ended up going for the Marzocchi 55 CR though, as I came across a great 2nd hand deal (hopefully when they arrive) The pike looks awesome on this though! I really like the purple too!
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    That looks really nice dude!! And thats saying something to say i dont usually like the Orange bikes... :D
    Also love the purple stuff from hope, ive recently brought the stem in purple for my Remedy!! :D