Handlebars and Stem-Any Info?

TheCameraMan
TheCameraMan Posts: 8
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
I really just wanted some information on some new handlebars and stem.

My budget is around £150, £200 upper limit.

My biggest question is: is it justifiable buying carbon bars / stem, or should i stay with aluminium for a much
cheaper option. I'm fine with sizing.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    No major benefit of carbon IME with bars and stem.

Deda and Ritchey are very good alloy sets.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Thanks for the lightning fast reply smidsy (4mins :) )

Do you know much about Deda M35s?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    smidsy wrote:
    No major benefit of carbon IME with bars and stem.

Deda and Ritchey are very good alloy sets.
    ^^ This
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Deda M35 very stiff indeed. They are very comfy to hold round the top too. But you wont go wrong with some zero 100 bars and a zero 1 stem for less than half your budget.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smidsy
    Nap beat me to it.

M35 alloy is a good set.

I prefer Ritchey WCS but there is really nothing in it in terms of quality
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    +1 for Ritchey.
    3T alloy bars and stem.
    I've got 3T carbon bars on two bikes, I have to say that apart from a small weight loss, a different colour and three times the price there is no real difference between carbon and alloy bars, in fact I found the alloy bars stiffer on the drops.
  • napoleond
    My current set up is a 3T stem and Deda zero100 bars. I need culling for the mismatch...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smidsy
    Where as I currently have a Deda Stem and Ritchey WCS Classic bars. Equal culling required :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • napoleond
    When new frame arrives I'll check what size is required and get a Deda Superleggera
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smidsy
    I have a Genesis Croix De Fer Frame to build up so will ensure my stem and bars match
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • napoleond
    smidsy wrote:
    I have a Genesis Croix De Fer Frame to build up so will ensure my stem and bars match

8)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Deda M35 very stiff indeed. They are very comfy to hold round the top too. But you wont go wrong with some zero 100 bars and a zero 1 stem for less than half your budget.

This^^

I have the Zero 100 bars with zero 2 stem. Very light. Lighter than most carbon bars/stems. Great value.
  • dwanes
    dwanes wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

This^^

I have the Zero 100 bars with zero 2 stem. Very light. Lighter than most carbon bars/stems. Great value.

20130409_183113.jpg
  • Everyone seems to have beaten up on carbon pretty badly, so I thought I would make a case.

Price and probably value wise alloy bars can't be touched. However carbon can be lighter if you're happy to part with the cash. Also (and I'm opening the flood gates here) my opinion is that carbon bars do reduce road buzz, great for longer rides. I also would agree with what others have said about stiffness, alloy bars will be better.

I think a great combo is an aluminium stem (don't see the benefit of carbon here) and carbon bars.
  • napoleond
    Been there with Carbon bars and stem. Back using alloy...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smidsy
    Carbon bars often give more road buzz not less.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dwanes
    Do your research on weight, you will find a lot of carbon bars weigh more than alu at your price range.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Would definitely stick with aluminium stem, no benefits with a carbon stem, they usually weigh at least as much. On the bars I prefer carbon and have used Enve, Ritchey, Pro and Deda Superleggera quite happily, although I am going to fit an aluminium 3T Tornova bar on a current build and that is a nice bar.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Given that all handlebars on the market work well enough, I look first at the shape and size, then at weight/ material/cost/cosmetics.
    3TTT have a fine selection of different styles with different amounts of drop and curve shapes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I went with the cheapest alloy stuff of the right size / shape I could find on Ribble. Matching Deda compact bars, stem and seatpost all for under £50! Surprisingly light and looks quite posh since it all matches.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I had cheap stuff my on when I was getting the position sorted but I managed to get a deda zero100 from the classifieds and I was surprised how much of a difference a good stem makes, the handling is more secure and it feels more solidly efficient when climbing; I know that there is a lot of subjectivity about 'stiffness' but it's not confirmation bias as I wasn't expecting to be impressed

(none of the finishing kit matches, I don't care :) )
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • napoleond
    If you don't have matching finishing kit you will be culled. Once they've sorted the badgers.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Once they've sorted the badgers"

No immediate panic required then. Unless you're a badger obviously.
  • Knew I'd get flamed by people for preferring carbon bars. Can only got on my experience and that is that my carbon bars are more comfy than the old aluminium ones.

Limit was £200 and I'm sure you can get a deda presa and matching stem for that.

Everyone will have their opinion and slate others for theirs, guess you'll just have to pay your monies and make your choice!

Edit:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... edahbas365

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... edahbss730

Under 200 notes and beautiful combo I'd say. Replace carbon if you want it cheaper.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    There are some crazy discounts on bars at CRC at the moment.

90% off some Most alloy bars!!

Good price on the Deda M35 alloy and carbon
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Oh yeah and I've got Deda stem and seatpost but Ritchey bars :shock:

Might change the bars to match this winter.... or maybe not
  • napoleond
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Oh yeah and I've got Deda stem and seatpost but Ritchey bars :shock:

Might change the bars to match this winter.... or maybe not

Burn him!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    probably a witch!
  • napoleond
    localshoppic.jpg

But Edward! His bars and stems are all different!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smidsy
    NapoleonD wrote:
    But Edward! His bars and stems are all different!

As are ours :(

In my defence I have now swapped my Ritchey WCS from my CAAD onto my Basso so the Basso now has matching bars and stem :D

But the CAAD now has a Cannondale stem but FSA bars - aaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.