Rubber queen

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just decided to get some black chilli rubber queens as recommended by several on the forum as an excellent all round tyre
Just wondering on the size
How does a 2.2 compare to a Schwalbe nick 2.25?
Also what's the advantage/disadvantage of the 2.4 compared to the 2.2 thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The 2.2 is bigger than a 2.25 nobby nic.
    The 2.4 is enormous and doesn't fit in a lot of xc frames and forks. They would be good for alpine riding but thats about it.
  • ej2320
    The 2.2 is bigger than a 2.25 nobby nic.
    The 2.4 is enormous and doesn't fit in a lot of xc frames and forks. They would be good for alpine riding but thats about it.

Thanks, probably go for the 2.2
    The 2.4 would fit the 160mm frame but I normally end up riding to the trail so I suspect the 2.4 would be stupid on tarmac in that case
    Not that I'm looking for it to be good on Tarmac, just bearable
  • ej2320
    Oh great... Just realised the 650b Conti tyres aren't out till 2014, looks like it will have to be Hans Dampfs
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's another reason not to buy a 650b for another year or two!
  • ej2320
    There's another reason not to buy a 650b for another year or two!

Yea, too late now, already got the frame and wheels..
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    IMO the OP will end up with a better tyre because the Conti's aren't out for another few months! Hell my uni clubs sponsored by Conti and I still don't use them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Best tyres I have used for xc, I much prefer them to Hans Hans Dampfs.
    I have just got a set of Der Baron downhill tyres and the grip is immense. Just waiting for my Der Kaisers to turn up, they seem to be the dry dh race tyre of choice at the moment.
  • ej2320
    I was thinking if I could just use a light DH tyre and I do ride some DH runs
  • lawman
    Aren't you using Flows on your new bike? Tubeless all the way on Stan's rims. FWIW Schwalbe do the Hans Dampf ina 2.25 size if you think the 2.35 will be too big. Personally I run the 2.35's and whilst they are big I used them on the CCC2CC ride and they were brilliant. Very predictable, grippy and fast rolling. If you want even more speed, chuck a rock razor on the back.
  • ej2320
    lawman wrote:
    Aren't you using Flows on your new bike? Tubeless all the way on Stan's rims. FWIW Schwalbe do the Hans Dampf ina 2.25 size if you think the 2.35 will be too big. Personally I run the 2.35's and whilst they are big I used them on the CCC2CC ride and they were brilliant. Very predictable, grippy and fast rolling. If you want even more speed, chuck a rock razor on the back.

Yep, got the flows on order.. Never really looking into tubeless but I think I'll give it a go
    I have 2.25 nicks and they do the job but really underperform in the wet or smooth rock surfaces
    The 2.35 should work well with Hans Dampfs.. Just need to decide the compound
  • lawman
    Trail star front, pacestar rear. My default choice now, superb combo. I might try a Rock Razor on the rear next summer though!
  • ej2320
    Awesome, I'll give that a go!
  • rockmonkeysc
    What frame is it. Hans Dampfs are too wide for a lot of frames.
  • ej2320
    2014 transition covert
    They haven't released to full spec but I can get a geo chart if that will help me?
  • lawman
    ej2320 wrote:
    2014 transition covert
    They haven't released to full spec but I can get a geo chart if that will help me?

They should fit in that. The 2013's had them speced and I'd imagine they would easily fit given the bikes intentions
  • I am running Maxxis High roller II's 3C EXO TR. I am pretty happy with the feel of them up to now, they are a bit portly but when I had HD's on my Mojo I was getting a very strange feeling when at speed, like the tyre was moving around a lot on the rim. I might try them again, I will wait and see.
  • ej2320
    Humm, the High Roller is available in 650b as well...
  • ej2320
    I am running Maxxis High roller II's 3C EXO TR. I am pretty happy with the feel of them up to now, they are a bit portly but when I had HD's on my Mojo I was getting a very strange feeling when at speed, like the tyre was moving around a lot on the rim. I might try them again, I will wait and see.

Is that the dual compound?
  • ej2320 wrote:
    I am running Maxxis High roller II's 3C EXO TR. I am pretty happy with the feel of them up to now, they are a bit portly but when I had HD's on my Mojo I was getting a very strange feeling when at speed, like the tyre was moving around a lot on the rim. I might try them again, I will wait and see.

Is that the dual compound?

I think it might be but I am not sure.
  • lawman
    The 3C's are triple compound and insanely expensive! You can get a pair of top end Hans Dampfs for one high roller 3C!!
  • ej2320
    Oh right, I was looking at the £30 ones on bike discount for I assume it's a lesser compound
    Rick, how much did you pay per tyre?
  • lawman wrote:
    The 3C's are triple compound and insanely expensive! You can get a pair of top end Hans Dampfs for one high roller 3C!!

I got mine from Australia (the only place that I could find with stock) and they were not that bad!
  • ej2320
    edited November 2013
    Pretty much set on Lawman's setup
    HD Trailstar Super Gravity on the front
    HD Pacestar rear

Both Snakeskin and tubeless ready (2.35 x 650b)

I've ordered some Stans sealant and the valves and tape will be ordered from Superstar soon
    But I've heard they roll badly when run tubeless..? The Highroller 3C is too expensive and I can get a set of HDs for £60 but I really don't want the tyre to roll on a downhill run..
  • ej2320
    lawman wrote:

I got mine from Australia (the only place that I could find with stock) and they were not that bad!

Not bad for you maybe... I've seen your insane bikes, so I doubt the cost of the tyres would bother you too much ;)
  • ej2320 wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Not bad for you maybe... I've seen your insane bikes, so I doubt the cost of the tyres would bother you too much ;)

LOL I paid £36 per tyre which is the same as Hans Dampfs iirc.
  • ej2320
    Really? Can you send me a link to the website please?
  • I love my Hans Dampfs - trailstar up front and a pacestar rear. Best allrounders I've ever had.

Used a RQ 2.4 up front at one point (it was black chilli compound) - ludicrous tyre (only just fitted under a Fox 36!!), very grippy but I found it slow to respond to changes in direction - so epic in a straight line down rocks but not so good for typically more techy UK stuff.

RQ 2.2 - I was using UST so I never got the full black chilli experience which I regret because I thought the standard compound was ok, touch unpredictable in the wet. Everyone raves about the BC compound.
  • ej2320
    Tom Barton wrote:
    I love my Hans Dampfs - trailstar up front and a pacestar rear. Best allrounders I've ever had.

Used a RQ 2.4 up front at one point (it was black chilli compound) - ludicrous tyre (only just fitted under a Fox 36!!), very grippy but I found it slow to respond to changes in direction - so epic in a straight line down rocks but not so good for typically more techy UK stuff.

RQ 2.2 - I was using UST so I never got the full black chilli experience which I regret because I thought the standard compound was ok, touch unpredictable in the wet. Everyone raves about the BC compound.

That's the combo HDs I want
    Are you running tubeless? Notice any roll when cornering?
  • lawman
    Can't say I've ever noticed mine rolling, I run them tubeless at around 30psi and they're awesome.
  • ej2320
    lawman wrote:
    Can't say I've ever noticed mine rolling, I run them tubeless at around 30psi and they're awesome.

I get the feeling pressure will be the decider, I like a higher psi anyway for fast rolling so maybe the comments on rolling were running 22 or 23 PSI