what No more FR and DH bikes?

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited October 2013 in MTB general
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Damn, now what do you buy if you want to pay £2000 too much for a bike designed in the mid 90's?
    I think I have only seen 322's ridden by Orange sponsored riders, no one was stupid enough to actually buy one.
  • I see quite a few people in Yorkshire still seem to buy Orange 5s. Have to agree though, they are over priced for a single pivot bike, but then Santa Cruz Hecklers are also.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Orange 322 was more expensive than a carbon Davinci Wilson with a better build! Its not surprising no one buys them.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    The Orange 322 was more expensive than a carbon Davinci Wilson with a better build! Its not surprising no one buys them.

Ok, Ok, you've made your point :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Its nearly as expensive as a Santa Cruz V10. How did they expect to sell them?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    At gun point
  • but then Santa Cruz Hecklers are also.

Pft, what do you know.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    For only £200 more you can get a carbon Evil Undead or for £1000 less you can get a Nukeproof Pulse Pro.
    Seriously, why did they think they could sell it at £2500 frame only or £5000 for a full build?
    I thought stuff was cheaper up north. The MD of Orange probably paid less than £5k for his house. Just think how many flat caps or whippets you could buy for the price of just a 322 frame. You could get an entire fleet of racing pigeons.
    Good, honest Yorkshire value.
  • I see quite a few people in Yorkshire still seem to buy Orange 5s. Have to agree though, they are over priced for a single pivot bike, but then Santa Cruz Hecklers are also.
    That's because people in Yorkshire live in the stone age... Orange bikes were designed in the stone age and are still built with equipment from the stone age, so it all add up!
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's nothing wrong with single pivots. Orange use the most basic form of single pivot. Other, more modern designs use linkages to drive the shock and control the rising spring rate better.
    It was quite expensive in my opinion.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    They can ride alright, but they took so bloody long to bring out the 322 (too long, considering all they did was move the pivot a few inches and make it a bit uglier), and it cost so much that it's not surprising they had to drop it. Why anyone would buy one is beyond me. An Alpine 160 on the other hand, yes please.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    Even by downhill standards it pedals really badly and kicks back like a 1990's Patriot.
    I demoed a Alpine 160 a couple years ago and wasn't impressed. It rode ok but a bit crude.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One day I will buy an Orange just to annoy people by posting how awesome it is.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Orange Blood was really good. They didn't make it for very long though.
    I quite liked the P7 although it was a bit over priced.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I see quite a few people in Yorkshire still seem to buy Orange 5s. Have to agree though, they are over priced for a single pivot bike, but then Santa Cruz Hecklers are also.

i dont have an orange but did want one until i gave myself a slap to wake up.

Around here where i live in yorkshire not many oranges about more trek, cannondale, boardman fs to name a few.

they are overpriced for what you get on them, it wouldnt be so bad if the frame was lower in price.

I did see a vid on youtube with motorbike rider guy martin and he seemed to be impressed with them on a visit to the factory.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    edited October 2013
    swod1 wrote:
    I did see a vid on youtube with motorbike rider guy martin and he seemed to be impressed with them on a visit to the factory.

He likes Victorian engineering...
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I rode a 5 again recently and it felt very crude, simple and I couldn't understand why it cost what it did. The geometry felt reasonable, but it didn't feel at all modern or sophisticated, very agricultural. That might appeal to some people, but I really can't see why. The DH bikes seem even more ridiculous than the 5 in all honesty, as has been said, hugely expensive and I really can't see why.

I'm sure the reason why most people say they ride so well is because they read it somewhere and have convinced themselves it's the best bike ever, half the time they seem to be ridden by 16+ stone all the gear no idea types, who seemingly have more pivots on their bike than they do braincells!*

*Some 5 owners are alright, they're just a bit misinformed!
  • I have a 5. I like it. If I rode some other bikes, I would probably like them too. But I haven't. I have a 5. So there.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I have a 5. I like it. If I rode some other bikes, I would probably like them too. But I haven't.

You parted with that kind of cash without testing any other bikes? Seriously? :shock:
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I have a 5. I like it. If I rode some other bikes, I would probably like them too. But I haven't. I have a 5. So there.

Do you wear clothes that fit?

Just have this image of you wearing whatever you found first
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pedal feedback. Pivot too high, and too much travel for it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    supersonic wrote:
    Pedal feedback. Pivot too high, and too much travel for it.

Is that any particular Orange or just a general description of all their full sus bikes?
  • lawman
    This is how you make a single pivot...

p5pb10196126.jpg

I would very much like a go on that!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    lawman wrote:

p5pb10196126.jpg

Yeah me too!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, I'd put the shock there too...
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    supersonic wrote:
    Yeah, I'd put the shock there too...

:lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Orange wouldn't be stupid enough to mount the shock there.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:
    One day I will buy an Orange just to annoy people by posting how awesome it is.

TBF you've annoyed people without having to buy an orange :lol:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    lawman wrote:

p5pb10196126.jpg

not sure if you are joking but that's a 4 bar linkage.
  • lawman
    POAH wrote:
    lawman wrote:

p5pb10196126.jpg

not sure if you are joking but that's a 4 bar linkage.

Wrong. Pivot on the seatstay, not chainstay, it's a linkage actuated single pivot design.