Paul Weller

2»

Comments

• graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Since he declined my request for photographer's accreditation when he last played in town, I no longer hold him in the regard I once did.
    Modfather my 4rse, he looks like his mum dressed him! :D
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Some of his early solo stuff is excellent imo....The Albums Wild Wood and Stanley Road are well worth revisiting, the former is now 20 years old.

Agreed, I like plenty of his solo stuff and his current band are excellent as well, The Jam were just a big part of growing up for me. I have vivid memories of buying the 'Absolute Beginners' single in Woolworths the day it was released and just about wearing it out by playing it over and over on my old Fidelity record player - yes, record player, not turntable :D
    As well as Weller's angry lyrics and vocals I think Rick Buckler's fast, snare-heavy drumming goes a long way to defining their sound.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Went Brixton Academy in about 96, he was playing everynight, My mate went on the Monday night and reported back a great gig, Weller supported by Northern Uproar.

I went Wednesday, bloke comes out and says , "Sorry Northern Uproar cant be with us tonight, so I hope you don't mind if this guy does a turn" Out steps Noel Gallagher with just a Guitar and a bar stool, Hell of a gig.

Weller later joined by Steve Craddock and most of the OCS guys and Gallagher just Jammin it up.

Saw Weller once at Camden lock market with DC Lee, couldn't bring myself to talk to him, so I wander up to the pair of them and turn to her and say, "Sorry to disturb you but aren't you DC Lee? "

Cant wait to meet Kath Wiggins.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    meursault wrote:
    simonhead wrote:
    He was at a bbq of a friend of mines about 5 years ago. His parents live/d in woking and they are neighbours to our friends. The wife got chatting to him, she didn't have a clue who he was and did the "what do you do" banter.

What was his reaction?

I like to think he plainly stated he was a musician.

" I think he'll have to cave and reunite soon enough."

op68ag.gif

Pretty much, she wouldn't have an idea who he is, not the first time she's done that, she did the same to Freddy Flintoff a few months ago.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    Don't know much of his solo stuff but prob going to newcastle city hall tonight with a tenner and hope the touts are stuck with some tickets. Usually works if you're not bothered either way. Just need to find a paisley scarf. Even if I don't get in it will be worth it just to see the embarrassing haircuts

If they ever decided to reform, the jam could pretty much name their own price
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    He was ok

He must hate it when the crowd go nuts for the old stuff
  • Disappointed myself....all a bit going through the motions.

To many plodding album fillers in the setlist for my liking.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    I was just the right age to see the Jam in the early days - grew up in Hounslow, but was never part of the Whitton crew. Remember gigs at the Red Cow in Hammersmith, Nashville and Marquee. The most memorable was in Southampton where one of my mates from school was at med school. We ended up cowering in the corner of some dockside pub while a wild west brawl raged around us! Foxton has just played near where I am now in Huntingdon with his revival band From the Jam, didn't go.

Always thought his stuff was a bit blokey for most wives n' girlfiends.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Going to see him this Saturday at Hammersmith, birthday pressie from the wife. Seen him three times as a solo artist and he's always been good.

I'm still inordinately proud of the fact that I was at The Jam's final gig in Brighton 1982. It was a great evening. They also played Southend at the start of their final tour, didn't go to the actual gig but was let in to see the sound check, which was a great experience although the tension between the band members was very evident.