Paul Weller

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
Any fans on here? I fulfilled another long standing ambition by giing to watch him on Monday night at Glasgow Barrowlands. Just brilliant. Anyone else seen him or going to see him?
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    A big fan since his early days. Not got excited by his material from his past few years, and I am beginning to suspect the voice is on it's last legs/tonsils.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    I saw The Jam in '82 in Shepton Mallet on a school trip. Unfortunately, the memory is rather tarnished by the fact that my mum could only afford to let me go on one school trip that term and I chose The Jam over a Clash gig, because I fancied a mod girl. Being young and living in a remote place meant that I didn't get another chance to see The Clash before they split, but thankfully I did get to see Joe play.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    vs wrote:
    I saw The Jam in '82 in Shepton Mallet on a school trip. Unfortunately, the memory is rather tarnished by the fact that my mum could only afford to let me go on one school trip that term and I chose The Jam over a Clash gig, because I fancied a mod girl. Being young and living in a remote place meant that I didn't get another chance to see The Clash before they split, but thankfully I did get to see Joe play.

I suppose we can all identify with that, being led by your c0ck and not your head. :lol:
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I preferred him when he was an angry young man.
    Saw him in the 90s and wasn't that impressed.
  • Going to the Newcastle gig on Friday.

His solo stuff can be a bit hit and miss, his last couple of albums have been canny. Still not a patch on the Wild Wood/Stanley Road era mind.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Got a couple of albums and he's on my spotify list. One of the good uns. Not seen him live though. He was at the Eden project but I missed it
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Was a big fan from the later Jam days through to the first few solo albums - not really now - as above I think his voice as gone. Never actually saw the Jam live, first Style Council tour was first time, best gigs I saw him do were when he started solo and had no record deal, played places like Trent University and didn't even sell out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Anyone who was fortunate enough to be around during the heady days of 1976 - as I was - and bought into the 'Punk/New Wave' music scene - as I did - cannot be anything but in awe of Weller's contribution. I appreciate and understand the comments about his recent output and voice - let's make this clear, Weller was NEVER a 'singer', neither was Joe Strummer - but Paul Weller was able, via his words and music, to communicate with a whole generation of kids; he literally spoke for the suburban disaffected youth of the 70's and 80's. There are many 'successful' artists who would give their right arm to have written just ONE iconic song; Weller wrote many. He was the nearest thing to a genuine 'protest songwriter' , along with Strummer, that we had in the UK. If you aren't aware of his output, just have a listen to a few of the following'

In the City
    Away from the Numbers
    StrangeTown
    Mr Clean
    In the Crowd
    Thick as Thieves
    Burning Sky
    Down in the Tube Station at Midnight

and many many others that followed, including the Style Council stuff. These were genuine comments on society as Weller saw it; unemployment, gang violence, city life, the corporate world - he was a genuine poet and will always be, IMHO, one of THE most important songwriters/social commentator of my generation.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • meursault
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Anyone who was fortunate enough to be around during the heady days of 1976 - as I was - and bought into the 'Punk/New Wave' music scene - as I did - cannot be anything but in awe of Weller's contribution. I appreciate and understand the comments about his recent output and voice - let's make this clear, Weller was NEVER a 'singer', neither was Joe Strummer - but Paul Weller was able, via his words and music, to communicate with a whole generation of kids; he literally spoke for the suburban disaffected youth of the 70's and 80's. There are many 'successful' artists who would give their right arm to have written just ONE iconic song; Weller wrote many. He was the nearest thing to a genuine 'protest songwriter' , along with Strummer, that we had in the UK. If you aren't aware of his output, just have a listen to a few of the following'

In the City
    Away from the Numbers
    StrangeTown
    Mr Clean
    In the Crowd
    Thick as Thieves
    Burning Sky

and many many others that followed, including the Style Council stuff. These were genuine comments on society as Weller saw it; unemployment, gang violence, city life, the corporate world - he was a genuine poet and will always be, IMHO, one of THE most important songwriters/social commentator of my generation.

Well said. I would add Billy Bragg to the significant protest singer list, and also Kevin Rowland to influential artist list from the same era. I only saw The Jam once, Wembley Arena fairwell tour, but it's still the best gig I have ever seen.

Voltaire
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    First ever gig.
    The Jam. Edinburgh Playhouse. 1979.

Good start. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Raymondo60 wrote:
    Anyone who was fortunate enough to be around during the heady days of 1976 - as I was - and bought into the 'Punk/New Wave' music scene - as I did - cannot be anything but in awe of Weller's contribution. I appreciate and understand the comments about his recent output and voice - let's make this clear, Weller was NEVER a 'singer', neither was Joe Strummer - but Paul Weller was able, via his words and music, to communicate with a whole generation of kids; he literally spoke for the suburban disaffected youth of the 70's and 80's. There are many 'successful' artists who would give their right arm to have written just ONE iconic song; Weller wrote many. He was the nearest thing to a genuine 'protest songwriter' , along with Strummer, that we had in the UK. If you aren't aware of his output, just have a listen to a few of the following'

In the City
    Away from the Numbers
    StrangeTown
    Mr Clean
    In the Crowd
    Thick as Thieves
    Burning Sky

Pretty much spot on, he's wrote some fantastic lyrics over the years. Most of the Jam stuff when he was just a kid himself. I'd take his back catalogue against any of the artists around that era from 76 onwards.
  • vs
    Meet me on the wastelands - later this day,
    We'll sit and talk and hold hands maybe,
    For there's not much else to do in this drab and colourless
    place.
    We'll sit amongst the rubber tyres,
    Amongst the discarded bric-a-brac,
    People have no use for - amongst the smouldering embers of
    yesterday.

And when or if the sun shines,
    Lighting our once beautiful features,
    We'll smile but only for seconds,
    For to be caught smiling is to acknowledge life,
    A brave but useless show of compassion,
    And that is forbidden in this drab and colourless world.

Meet me on the wastelands - the ones behind,
    The old houses - the ones - left standing pre-war -
    The ones overshadowed by the monolith monstrosities -
    councils call homes.

And there amongst the shit - the dirty linen,
    The holy Coca-Cola tins - the punctured footballs,
    The ragged dolls - the rusting bicycles,
    We'll sit and probably hold hands.

And watch the rain fall - watch it - watch it -
    Tumble and fall - tumble and falling -
    Like our lives - like our lives -
    Just like our lives.

We'll talk about the old days,
    When the wasteland was release when we could play,
    And think - without feeling guilty -
    Meet me later but we'll have to hold hands.
    Exactly like our lives.
  • vs wrote:
    Meet me on the wastelands - later this day,
    We'll sit and talk and hold hands maybe,
    For there's not much else to do in this drab and colourless
    place.
    We'll sit amongst the rubber tyres,
    Amongst the discarded bric-a-brac,
    People have no use for - amongst the smouldering embers of
    yesterday.

And when or if the sun shines,
    Lighting our once beautiful features,
    We'll smile but only for seconds,
    For to be caught smiling is to acknowledge life,
    A brave but useless show of compassion,
    And that is forbidden in this drab and colourless world.

Meet me on the wastelands - the ones behind,
    The old houses - the ones - left standing pre-war -
    The ones overshadowed by the monolith monstrosities -
    councils call homes.

And there amongst the shoot - the dirty linen,
    The holy Coca-Cola tins - the punctured footballs,
    The ragged dolls - the rusting bicycles,
    We'll sit and probably hold hands.

And watch the rain fall - watch it - watch it -
    Just like our lives.

We'll talk about the old days,
    When the wasteland was release when we could play,
    And think - without feeling guilty -
    Meet me later but we'll have to hold hands.
    Exactly like our lives.

Brought a tear to me eye and a lump to me throat that did!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • vs
    Raymondo60 wrote:

Yeah, it's beautifully written...and when he was 20.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I agree to a certain extent that some of his solo stuff is hit and miss and a bit 'samey' - he definitely has a 'sound' though and you can tell it is Paul Weller when you hear his music. He absolutely rocked the place though and even my wife, who just came to keep me company, was blown away.
    I grew up in the era of The Jam and I wish he had played more from that period (he played 'Start' and 'A Town Called Malice') but understand he is in a different place in his career and cannot just churn out the greatest hits when he is still releasing new albums.
    I think The Style Council were very underrated, despite their commercial success, and Weller often seems to attract unfair criticism for going a bit commercial during that time. I remember reading that The Jam's last two singles (Bitterest Pill, Beat Surrender) were all about Weller recognising that his music was changing and he was reluctantly accepting a move to mainstream appeal - might be a load of rubbish but the lyrics could be construed to mean that.
    He's still a musical hero of mine though and made me extremely happy on Monday night - I've spent the last few days digging through my old CDs and vinyl and reliving my teens.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Saw him at Edinburgh Castle earlier this year - top notch gig considering the venue's not the most atmospheric IMHO.

Felt the crowd were hoping for a Jam/Style Council greatest hits, which probably didn't help.

Great band, and I'd say his voice was still pretty good.

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • vs wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:

Yeah, it's beautifully written...and when he was 20.

The whole Setting Sons album is fantastic, and I even like the cover of Heatwave. Had it on repeat practically when I first went to Uni (in 2006 btw ;) )

I think Wasteland is probably my favourite on there, using a recorder, what an idea, so simple but so effective, and the lyrics are incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTDMbqTot6g

And I've seen Weller play Middlesbrough Town Hall about a week after "The Jam" (Buckler and Foxton, who pissed all over him) played. I think he'll have to cave and reunite soon enough.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    He was at a bbq of a friend of mines about 5 years ago. His parents live/d in woking and they are neighbours to our friends. The wife got chatting to him, she didn't have a clue who he was and did the "what do you do" banter.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • meursault
    simonhead wrote:
    He was at a bbq of a friend of mines about 5 years ago. His parents live/d in woking and they are neighbours to our friends. The wife got chatting to him, she didn't have a clue who he was and did the "what do you do" banter.

What was his reaction?

I like to think he plainly stated he was a musician.

" I think he'll have to cave and reunite soon enough."

op68ag.gif

Voltaire
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Liked the Jam, though I was a bit young for that little 'wave' - I was 7 in '76!

Can't be bothered with solo stuff, and frankly he's a bit of an embarrassing old man, dressing up in all that Mod gear - like your ageing uncle who still goes to "rock and roll" events at Butlins wearing his Teddy-boy suit.

Still, an important and pivotal member of pop aristocracy. And I'd have chosen the Jam over the Clash, never quite "got" them.

Oh - and +1 for Billy Bragg being important, my first gig and he blew the roof off. Surprisingly tall, as well...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • meursault
    Oh, I nearly forgot, I named my first imperial century after the mans lyrics

http://app.strava.com/activities/87576693

Voltaire
  • Crescent wrote:
    I agree to a certain extent that some of his solo stuff is hit and miss and a bit 'samey' - he definitely has a 'sound' though and you can tell it is Paul Weller when you hear his music. He absolutely rocked the place though and even my wife, who just came to keep me company, was blown away.
    I grew up in the era of The Jam and I wish he had played more from that period (he played 'Start' and 'A Town Called Malice') but understand he is in a different place in his career and cannot just churn out the greatest hits when he is still releasing new albums.
    I think The Style Council were very underrated, despite their commercial success, and Weller often seems to attract unfair criticism for going a bit commercial during that time. I remember reading that The Jam's last two singles (Bitterest Pill, Beat Surrender) were all about Weller recognising that his music was changing and he was reluctantly accepting a move to mainstream appeal - might be a load of rubbish but the lyrics could be construed to mean that.
    He's still a musical hero of mine though and made me extremely happy on Monday night - I've spent the last few days digging through my old CDs and vinyl and reliving my teens.

Some of his early solo stuff is excellent imo....The Albums Wild Wood and Stanley Road are well worth revisiting, the former is now 20 years old. If i recall it lost to one of M Peoples albums for the Mercury Prize back in 93.... :lol:
  • meursault
    Crescent wrote:

Some of his early solo stuff is excellent imo....The Albums Wild Wood and Stanley Road are well worth revisiting, the former is now 20 years old. If i recall it lost to one of M Peoples albums for the Mercury Prize back in 93.... :lol:

OMG, M Peoples 'version' of Itchycoo Park still gives me a shiver.

Voltaire
  • vs
    The eponymously titled album that preceded 'Wild Wood' is great too...

http://www.softshoe-slim.com/lists/w/weller_paul.html#1
  • vs wrote:
    The eponymously titled album that preceded 'Wild Wood' is great too...

http://www.softshoe-slim.com/lists/w/weller_paul.html#1

Must admit The Style Council lost me around 86/87. By his own admission Weller says he lost the plot towards the end of the 80s. There's a cracking gig (think from the Ally Pally) knocking about on youtube from around the era of his first solo album.
  • ballysmate
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Got a couple of albums and he's on my spotify list. One of the good uns. Not seen him live though. He was at the Eden project but I missed it

People tend to say, 'So and so was on but I didn't go or I missed it or...'
    It is akin to saying, 'I went out with a fit girl but didn't sh@g her'

:lol:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    To this day The Jam are still my favourite band of all time. Loved The Clash and The Smiths and The Specials but The Jam were it for me. Live the sound and power they put out for a 3 piece was incredible.

Paul Weller to me is as important a songwriter as Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards are to my parents generation. He has encapsulated British life, the good and the bad, so beautifully in some of his songwriting and is one of the few men who when singing a love song sounds sincere and not like a soppy git. His contribution to British music is immense.

As for him caving in and reforming The Jam, I'm not so sure. I think he's stated he'd never work with Rick Buckler again. Bruce Foxton he has worked with on some of his recent stuff.

My favourite Jam night would have to be seeing them at the Marquee club as John's Boy's (secret gig), totally blew my young head away! I've still got one of Buckler's drumsticks from that night somewhere. Happy days.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I like the Jam and his early solo stuff, but I think that he's like Lou Reed in that I wouldn't pay anything over a fiver to go and see him live these days.
  • I have never forgiven my Mom and Dad for not having sex at an earlier age and giving me the chance to see The Jam live. Weller solo just doesn't do it for me, he's ok, but the anger just isn't there.
  • ballysmate
    I have never forgiven my Mom and Dad for not having sex at an earlier age and giving me the chance to see The Jam live. Weller solo just doesn't do it for me, he's ok, but the anger just isn't there.

FFS if it's anger you want, you should have been round our place when I accidentally put the missus clothes in the washer at the wrong temp. Anger? Weller's playing at it. :lol: