integrated headset Help & advise please

2»

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would be putting your hand over each joint. so top bearing. bottom bearing. fork seal area. and even hold the wheel while holding the fork leg to feel for any movment. also make sure no cables are moving.

and again re do it with the fork at 90 degrees as the will stop some parts moving.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looking at video your stem is mounted really high . Try putting one or more of the spacers above it . That may allow the headset to compress more ,
    makes Zero difference to the bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Looking at video your stem is mounted really high . Try putting one or more of the spacers above it . That may allow the headset to compress more , if it is just the top cap tightening against the stem it may not be doing so adequately.

the stem and spacers have not changed in any way since i brought it, i put it all back together in the same order simply so i could not be doing anything wrong.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Looking at video your stem is mounted really high . Try putting one or more of the spacers above it . That may allow the headset to compress more , if it is just the top cap tightening against the stem it may not be doing so adequately.

Sorry, but that's total cobblers. The spacer arrangement makes no difference to the preload applied to the bearings. For any given torque figure applied to the cap bolt the bearing preload's the same regardless of whether the spacers are over or under the stem (or any comination of either). Where do people come up with daft ideas like that? :roll:
  • May not have explained myself well but basically saying need space between top cap and steerer tube to allow for preload .
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    May not have explained myself well but basically saying need space between top cap and steerer tube to allow for preload .

Obviously, but that's got nothing to do with the position of the spacers, nor will changing their arrangement alter it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Without re-reading it all, you have got the centreing ring fitted above the top bearing haven't you?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Without re-reading it all, you have got the centreing ring fitted above the top bearing haven't you?

if you mean the c clip, yes i have. there is only 4 parts to my headset apart from the topcap and bolt
  • well just as a update i have been to my local bike shop again

they have given my bike a look over and i have explained what i have done with the headset

i was told the bike is fine and their is nothing wrong with the headset, both mechanics were their and both said the same thing !

so i will try and get out next week and see

Thank you All for your help and advise. :) :P