Anything annoy you about MTBing?

Lolage
Lolage Posts: 60
edited October 2013 in MTB general
Hi

Basically, I'm looking to create a short documentary based around mountain biking. I've already made one on the lack of help for trail building and I'm looking to create a new one but just wondering if anyone has any ideas with regards to what I can do it on?

I was thinking about doing one on why people mountain bike, despite the dangers etc but this has been done to death!

Any ideas?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why people ask silly questions instead of just riding a bicycle?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    How about something looking at whether it's best to shed weight from your bike or your body? Though please make it scientifically rigorous.
  • Lolage
    Lolage Posts: 60
    I don't see why you'd think its a silly question. Serious question, just helping in me coming up with a story for a film for uni!

Already done one on trail building: https://vimeo.com/65738812
  • BigAl
    There's been a few of these 'vague' questions lately, hence the response

If you really want suggestions give a little more detail in your post

Introduce yourself
    Tell us if you are an MTBer, and if so what sort
    What is the purpose of the documentary
    It's audience (we now know it's for Uni)
    Purpose - entertainment, information, etc
    And so on

Then you will probably get sensible ideas
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Nice little documentary you did there. No specific ideas for a new one although you could look at wheel sizes!? Maybe from a bike shop/customer point of view rather than a manufacturer.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • BigAl
    I realise that it may be technically challenging to do but what about something on night riding?

Seems to be much more popular than a few years ago - presumably because it allows working people to ride all year.

Frankly I find riding in broad daylight challenging enough and the thought of riding at night terrifies me
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Lolage wrote:
    I don't see why you'd think its a silly question. Serious question, just helping in me coming up with a story for a film for uni!

Already done one on trail building: https://vimeo.com/65738812

Awesome documentary, I watched it ages ago and it's encouraged me to help out with the trails
    (Also Adams looking rapid, as usual)
  • ej2320
    Only topics I can think of is wheel size or has the essence of mtbing been lost and it's now just the companies looking for profit and LBS loosing out due to online
  • ej2320
    Nice little documentary you did there. No specific ideas for a new one although you could look at wheel sizes!? Maybe from a bike shop/customer point of view rather than a manufacturer.

+1 for the customer/shop point of view, the manufactures aren't giving us what we want but telling us what we need.. Eg wheelsize
  • cooldad
    ej2320 wrote:
    Only topics I can think of is wheel size or has the essence of mtbing been lost and it's now just the companies looking for profit and LBS loosing out due to online
    You're a glass half empty kind of guy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    ej2320 wrote:

Not lost - you'll find it in the woods/hills/valleys/mountains*. It's not available in the bike shop or on the web

* pick all that apply
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    You're a glass half empty kind of guy.

Because you're always positive...
  • BigAl
    ej2320 wrote:

You are lost. D'you think Gary Fisher, Tom Ritchey or Bonty spent a nano-second thinking, mmmmm 26, 27.5 or 29 when they started (on converted road bikes)?

Too many people are interested in bikes not cycling
  • cooldad
    Always positive. I enjoy my bikes. As for companies looking for profits, welcome to the seventeenth century.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    cooldad wrote:
    I enjoy riding my bikes.

Unlike you to not be clear.

I'm sure you'll inform me if I'm wrong :wink:
  • BigAl
    .... And don't you dare slate my split infinitive
  • Lolage wrote:

Forums.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    BigAl wrote:
    [
    Too many people are interested in bikes not cycling

exactly this.

there seems to be a huge amount of people who talk the talk and don't walk the walk so to speak.

just get out there and ride
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    endless debate over wheel size by people who have only ever ridden 26

people who are shocked that bike companies want to make money

and pedal strikes to the shin
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    in terms of a film, i'd be quite happy watching Holly Feniak demonstrating a bit of "Naked Enduro"

there wouldn't be any bikes involved, but who cares
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thieving pikey scum who want my bike. And Wiggle.
    Both annoy me equally.
  • FECES
    FECES Posts: 25
    BigAl wrote:

Introduce yourself Fair enough, this may have been useful
    Tell us if you are an MTBer, and if so what sort Irrelevant, just looking for advice on his documentary, not on his MTBing
    What is the purpose of the documentary This is what he is trying to establish
    It's audience (we now know it's for Uni) Most likely people who are into, or want to get into MTBing. Assume this unless he states otherwise.
    Purpose - entertainment, information, etc Its a documentary so its intrinsically informative.
    And so on

Then you will probably get sensible ideasHe could end the documentary by showing highlights of MTBers crashing

Lolage wrote:

Forums.

Can anyone find a post anywhere on any forum that contains more irony than this one?
  • BigAl
    FECES wrote:
    BigAl wrote:

Introduce yourself Fair enough, this may have been useful
    Tell us if you are an MTBer, and if so what sort Irrelevant, just looking for advice on his documentary, not on his MTBing
    Relevant as it allows us to pitch our replies appropriately. If he's an inexperienced or non biker, '29er' might mean nothing to him. If he's an experienced MTBer we could respond with more detail

What is the purpose of the documentary This is what he is trying to establish
    Is he producing the film for fun? Is it something he's going to try to sell? Load to YouTube? Or is it an academic piece of work (we now know the answer it's for his studies)

It's audience (we now know it's for Uni) Most likely people who are into, or want to get into MTBing. Assume this unless he states otherwise.
    Best not to assume. Any journalist should consider their audience. Is it aimed at teenagers or perhaps their parents. That would result in very different films

Purpose - entertainment, information, etc Its a documentary so its intrinsically informative.
    Fair enough, I overlooked he mentioned that it was a documentry. Though different types of documentry exist. It could be something showing the benefits of MTBing (fun, exercise). Or it could be to show the profiteering of bike companies or whatever. It may just be something he enjoys doing

And so on

Then you will probably get sensible ideasHe could end the documentary by showing highlights of MTBers crashing

Lolage wrote:

Forums.

Can anyone find a post anywhere on any forum that contains more irony than this one?
  • ej2320
    Thieving pikey scum who want my bike. And Wiggle.
    Both annoy me equally.

Agreed, Bike crime would be good although a lot has been done in terms of documentary already about it
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    in no particular order

many names for the same basic types of cycling

people who think X is better

trail dogs

people who can't read signs on trails

snobbish louts on the trails

the cost

orange five 's lol
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    POAH wrote:
    trail dogs

Really? I love seeing people out with their dogs chasing them on the trails - as long as they are well behaved dogs I think its great. Good documentary material actually but has been done a few times on pink bike (sort of)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I think a good subject would be to look at accessability of both the leisure and sport aspects of off-road cycling and determine what impact this has on participation, enjoyment and public perception.

To give an example of what I mean; when I was 11 years old I joined the Scouts and had my first experiences of hill walking. We're talking late 1970s here, the gear available was pretty basic so walking in poor weather was uncomfortable, but I loved it and the hills were pretty empty. By the 1990s someone had invented fleece jackets and Gore-Tex, the hills were covered in people and part of the appeal had gone.
    I think the mountain bike world has now reached a similar point; bikes are lighter, suspension and brakes that work have arrived leading to more participation. While the purpose of companies is to make a profit, the more corporate and commercial atmosphere is palpable. Your film could examine whether this has affected how people feel about mountain biking, particularly their enjoyment.

For myself, I have as much fun as I always did, but it isn't the same kind of fun...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Why is there such apparent anymosity between road and and mountain biking ?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:
    trail dogs

Really? I love seeing people out with their dogs chasing them on the trails - as long as they are well behaved dogs I think its great. Good documentary material actually but has been done a few times on pink bike (sort of)

dogs are an accident waiting to happen as my bro in law found out - on trails marked for cycling you should have a dog there